Rate Your Club's Signings

So now that the dust has settled, and the season is over, it's a perfect time to rate your team's signings over the course of the last year.

Here's my thoughts on Dundee's signings, and I expect a few Dee's may disagree as I certainly do have my favourites, but I've tried to be as objective as I could. How about your club though? Did your manager(s) make quality signings or were they a flop in the market?

Kane Hemmings - 10/10 - The perfect signing? How many times have we seen on this forum over the years of fans saying that all they are missing is the 'elusive 20 goal a season striker'. Well, we netted one, on a free, one a three year deal and he netted 25 goals for us. If the rumours about him having a clause in his contract for £250k are correct which has been dismissed already by our board, then we'll be looking to break the £1.2 million transfer fee record we got for Rab Douglas if we are to let him go.

Nick Ross - 8/10 - Desperately struggled in the early parts of the season and some snider sections of our support had labelled him as Nick 'Dross'. Since Kevin Thomson left though, he's stepped up big time and more than filled his shoes. Struggled again a bit when McGowan was out injured towards the end of the season and it's clear he can only work in that unnatural deeper position if he has the right type of player alongside him, but he's becoming a crucial part of how we play. He's the type of player that can easily become the fan's go to 'boo-boy' but get him in the right midfield partnership and he'll flourish.

Rory Loy - 7/10 - It's difficult to imagine now, but there was a small section of the season when he was keeping Hemmings out of the side. He's been played on the left wing since and has struggled at times but has still chipped in with a fair amount of goals. He's scored 9 times despite largely being played out of position and having to make do with coming on from the bench. If Hemmings were to leave, he's clearly a player that'd net well into double figures for us. Reminds me of a classier version of Colin McMenamin and even if things aren't going for him, he's not afraid to do a power of work for the side.

Kevin Holt - 6/10 - There's no doubt about it. There's a player there, and I reckon he's still got what it takes to become one of our best players but he is now the fan's go to 'boo boy' and he has struggled. He's struggled partly due to the formation we play and the lack of support from the likes of Stewart leaving him exposed, but there's sometimes where it looks like the nerves have got the better of him or he's just having a difficult time making the step up. I'm sure he'd be much higher rated next season and will come on leaps and bounds, but considering we paid in the region of £40-100k for him, it's hard to give him a higher rating IMO.

Nicky Low - 4/10 - Looks like he could be a tidy addition to our midfield, not seen near enough of him though due to injuries. He's been like this season's version of Simon Ferry. Lack of appearances and despite being tidy enough, I can't see him bringing anything to the table that Ross or McGowan already don't leads the low score from myself. 

Daryll Meggatt - 2/10 - Probably being overly harsh here, but every time he has played he just hasn't looked near good enough. Well out of his depth on limited showings and was behind Tam Konrad in the pecking order at CH whom we've subsequently released. Reckon Meggatt would already be gone if we hadn't signed him on a 3 year deal.

David Mitchell - 6/10 - Cheap, experienced and relatively young signing as a back-up keeper. His first job representing Dundee was to pick the ball out of the net after United put a penalty past him and we were down to 10 men. Played well if slightly shaky over the 2 games he featured in, couldn't have asked for more (And could have got a lot less - Arvid Schenk!) and I'm fairly happy with him as back-up.

Julen Extebeguren - 7/10 - Seems very injury prone and quite slow, I've not been his biggest fan at times, but he's good in the air and comfortable on the ball at CH and you'd imagine fairly cheap coming from East Fife. Don't think he'll work in a long term partnership with O'Dea personally as he's rather slow too, but our CH battle is shaping up quite nicely despite our problems this year. Gadzhalov finally looking the business, O'Dea able to take charge of a defence, McPake coming back from injury and Julen hopefully coming on leaps and bounds in his second season which a lot of our players have done from the season before such as McGinn/Gadzhalov etc.

Riccardo Calder - 3/10 - Another failed winger. Looked to have the talent but was not played by Hartley at a time when we were crying out for width. Seems to have a touch of the Phil Roberts and it seems as if it was his attitude that meant his loan at Dens was short lived.

Rhys Healey - 5/10 - Looked impressive when he was with us, after a slow start. Just as he was coming onto a game an injury ended his spell at Dens. I reckon he's a player we'll hear more about in the future potentially in the lower leagues of England as he didn't look out of place.

Darren O'Dea - 8/10 - I must admit, I'm not a massive fan at all. I think he's personally been at fault for quite a few goals, but there's no denying that his organisational skills strengthened our defence in the second half of the season. What I was most impressed with was the fact he was able to lead the likes of Gadzhalov/Julen at times who occasionally looked lost in defence prior to that. I reckon he'll either form a good defensive partnership with Gadzhalov or I'd be interested to see if McPake comes back the same player, if O'Dea's marshalling of the defence could help improve McPake's biggest flaw which is his positional sense. Signed an extended deal when a good few thought he'd just be a stop gap so I'm growing on O'Dea at Dens.

Arturo - 1/10 - Failed experiment. Seems like he was signed on loan for 6 months as a sort of extended trial period. Hasn't worked out, didn't look amazing in his limited time on the pitch and Hartley's put it down to Arturo being unable to get over the language barrier. (We had the same issue with Gadzhalov and stuck with him) Just has to be put down as a mistake and we move on.

Overall - A mixed bag, but luckily for us the biggest disappointments were only either on loan, signed on a short term deal or still look promising for the future. Only really Daryll Meggatt doesn't fall into these categories and we can't get every signing right. Who knows, he may even prove me wrong like Gadzhalov has. Hartley's 3 additions of Hemmings, Loy and Ross have improved us quite a bit though so he gets 8/10.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alan Martin - Had one game so hard to judge. Going by the highlights of that game, he looked pretty shaky.

Jamie Sendles-White - Looked alright at times, but his shocker at Dundee cost him his Accies career.

Antons Kurakins - :lol:

Chris Turner - :lol:

Gramoz Kurtaj - I was really impressed with him in his first couple of months with us. After that he became anonymous or just utter shite. He really showed promise as well.

Kemy Agustien - :lol:

Carlton Morris - Was really, really shite in 2015. He really turned it around, though, and was pivotal in us staying up. Popping up with some huge goals (Killie, ICT, Dundee United and Dundee).

Alex D'Acol - I think he looks quite good, to be honest. However, he's another that really hasn't been given a chance. He has a good touch, and can bring others into play well.

Oumar Diaby - :lol:

Salva Chamorro - :(

I've probably missed someone. That's the nature of our horrendous signing policy, though.

Rossi 8/10 - very solid but a bit impetuous at times

Djoum 9/10 - class act and undoubtedly the best of our signings last year. Want to see him given free reign next year.

Augustyn - 5/10. Did a job and great in the air but prone to switching his brain off.

Reilly 5/10 - had a good spell with Sow but not really happened for him so far. Needs a big improvement next season or out the door

Kitchen 7/10 - has looked good individually but the team's form wasn't great after he came in. Will probably be a big player next year.

Souttar 7/10 - brilliant when he first arrived but had a dip near the end.

Cowie 4/10 - had a couple of alright games but mainly injured and not getting any younger.

Dauda 5/10 - reasonable goalscoring but no loss on return to Holland.

Juanma 7/10 - on his day, brilliant but too many poor games. Definitely got the ability and if we get him fully firing he'll get 20 goals.

Swanson 3/10 - contributed absolutely nothing

Juwon 100/10. Legend.

Andrew Davies  8)

Richard Foster :)

Chris Robertson :)

Brian Graham :)

Stewart Murdoch :)

Scott Fox ^_^

Ian McShane :)

Martin Woods :2cool

Alex Schalk ^_^

Paul Quinn :)

Only including players who hadn't previously played for Ross County before the first league game; and those who re-joined at a later date (but not the reserve goalies due to the emoticon limit!)

Gary Miller - 7/10. Steady.

Tomas Cerny - 9.5/10. Fantastic.

David Amoo - 7/10. Frustrating?

Mathias Pogba - 4/10. Oaf.

Robbie Muirhead (loan) - 6/10.

!

Mustapha Dumbuya - 8.5/10. Impressive (when fit).

Ryan Edwards - 6.5/10. Improving.

Aidan Nesbitt (loan) - 6/10. Potential.

Antonio German - 2/10. Pointless.

Gary Miller - 7/10. Steady.

Tomas Cerny - 9.5/10. Fantastic.

David Amoo - 7/10. Frustrating?

Mathias Pogba - 4/10. Oaf. 

Robbie Muirhead (loan) - 6/10. Strike!

Mustapha Dumbuya - 7.5/10. Impressive (when fit).

Ryan Edwards - 6.5/10. Improving.

Aidan Nesbitt (loan) - 6/10. Potential.

Antonio German - 2/10. Pointless.

Actually you've given him two points, so that's a lie for a start.

Shinnie 9/10 - Brilliant player for this league who'll hopefully get even better and be given the armband. Slightly tailed off recently though.

Quinn 6/10 - Only lasted 6 months but did score the winner against Celtic. A few fans wish we still had him but he was shaky at times for us.

Ward 8/10 - Best keeper I've seen at the Dons. Will go on to be a EPL regular and Wales number 1. Him leaving in January left us in the lurch.

Parker/McLaughlin 2/10 - Failed loan experiments. Rarely played and were largely poor when they did.

Collin 3/10 - Scott Brown mark 2, not been convincing in his recent opportunities.

Church 7/10 - 6 goals in 13 games is decent, an upgrade of Goodwillie while Rooney was injured at least. Often went missing in games though.

I'm going to rate our signings by comparing them to food or drink.

Andrew Davies - a fish supper with loads of those wee crispy end bits absolutely floating in vinegar.

Ricky Foster - a carton of Salt and Vinegar Pringles.  

Chris Robertson - some healthy carrots.

Brian Graham - fresh Mediterranean  olives.

Stewart Murdoch - a refreshing glass of milk.

Scott Fox - the finest quality smoked salmon

Ian McShane - a 12 year old bottle of whisky

Alex Schalk - golden toast white bread, drowned in butter

David Goodwillie - a cup of instant coffee

Jamie MacDonald 9/10

Kallum Higginbotham 6/10

Kris Boyd 6/10

Dale Carrick 4/10

Kevin Mchattie 5/10

Steven Smith 6/10

Conrad Balatoni 6/10

Stuart Findlay 6/10

Scott Robinson 2/10

Gary Dicker 7/10

Lee Hodson 8/10

Miles Addison 7/10

Julien Faubert 6.5/10

Alex Henshall 5/10

Jamie MacDonald 8/10

Kallum Higginbotham 6/10

Kris Boyd 5/10

Dale Carrick 1/10

Kevin Mchattie 3/10

Steven Smith 6/10

Conrad Balatoni 6/10

Stuart Findlay 5/10

Scott Robinson 0/10

Gary Dicker 6/10

Lee Hodson 7/10

Miles Addison 7/10

Julien Faubert 7/10

Alex Henshall 5/10          

I like the Bunglebonce approach.

Mustapha Dumbuya   :thumsup2
Tomas Cerny   :king
Callum Booth   :wub:
Ryan Edwards   :D
David Amoo   :unsure:  
Gary Miller   8)
Mathias Pogba   :whistle
Robbie Muirhead   <_<
Aidan Nesbitt   :mellow:
Antonio German   :huh:

Louis Moult - 9/10 puts in a shift, scores goals. Natural poacher. Seems to be the sort of player who scores in streaks though. Still 18 goals is some return from him.

Connor Ripley - 7/10 conceded some absolute howlers (Thistle at FP, Celtic at FP) however at times has been as good a keeper as we've had since Randolph. Seemed to grow in confidence as the season went on and that save just before half-time against Aberdeen in the 2-1 game was Schmeichel-esque and kept us in the game.

Liam Grimshaw - 6/10, took a while to find his feet as you'd expect as he was making the step up from u21s football. Once he found his niche with McGhee having him operate on the right side of a midfield 3 he offered a fair bit of energy and drive in the midfield. Who knows whether he'd have kicked on if we'd been able to take him permanently however the emergence of Cadden in the midfield has meant missing out on him hasn't been too much of a loss.

Keiran Kennedy - 6/10, prone to at least one bomb-scare moment per game but chucks himself into everything and though he's definitely raw there's probably a decent centre half in there somewhere. Has a tremendous beard.

Louis Laing - 5/10, absolutely strolled some games early in the season, unfortunately they were games we didn't win. Fell out of favour with McGhee for ages but credit to him for sticking at it. The roasting he got from Hayes at Pittodrie aside he's looked like he could offer something at right back. Similar in a way to Kennedy hopefully with a pre-season under McGhee behind him he can find a role in the team.

Craig Samson - 5/10, difficult to have much of an opinion either way tbh. Completely pointless signing given we already had two first team goalkeepers on the books when he signed and since then he's literally only played 2 games for us. Having said that of the two games he's played in we won them both and he kept a clean sheet in one of them. 

Morgaro Gomis - 4/10, by no means has he been a player who has come in and made an impact but equally given that he was brought in as a last minute option when we missed out on Grimshaw then purely rating him as being a bit of experienced cover for Lasley he's 'done a job'. Prone to getting caught on the ball more often than not and plays at a pace like he's on valium there's no denying has had some absolute nightmares.

James McFadden - 3/10, spent most of his time back at the club looking to get match fitness then once he gained match fitness he broke his ankle. Put in some cracking crosses and free-kicks in the cameos he had though.

Wes Fletcher - 3/10, promised a lot based on his first game and a half but picked up an injury and that was that. Missed a fair chunk of the start of the season and with the form of Moult, McDonald and Johnson he struggled to get back in the team. Would be interested to see how he does wherever he ends up if he stays fit.

Joe Chalmers - 3/10, says a lot that he was brought in as cover for the left back and centre back positions but his best game has been playing wide left of midfield. Has fairly dropped out the side, doesn't offer much by way of athleticism or pace it's difficult to see where he really fits in a McGhee team. Most of his games came in the 1st half on the season when Hammell was injured and it's probably telling that with Hammell absent in the last few games McGhee has taken to trying Marvin Johnson at left back..

David Clarkson - 2/10, barely played the first half of the season, smashing cross for Pearson's goal in the 3-1 against Dundee though. Spent the 2nd half on loan to St Mirren.

Theo Robinson - 1/10, another in the fairly lengthy list of Baraclough's absolute panic signings. Became the 5th first team striker on our books when he signed. While it's fair to say he didn't offer much when he did play, by the same token he didn't actually get much game time either. Moved to Port Vale in January where he's scored 2 goals in 14 games which sounds about right.

Jake Taylor - what's the point? Started 7 games, sent off in one. Offered absolutely nothing. First thing Craigan did after Baraclough was emptied was bomb him out the squad rarely to be seen again. Currently plying his trade on the bench at Exeter.

I like the Bunglebonce approach.

Mustapha Dumbuya   :thumsup2

Tomas Cerny   :king

Callum Booth   :wub:

Ryan Edwards   :D

David Amoo   :unsure:  

Gary Miller   8)

Mathias Pogba   :whistle

Robbie Muirhead   <_<

Aidan Nesbitt   :mellow:

Antonio German   :huh:

Aww! You fancy Booth too. Yeah! He is a wee honey!

Tomas Cerny 10/10 - Best keeper we've had in my time as a fan. Wouldn't swap him for any keeper in the league. Delighted that he's signed up for another 2 seasons. Thank you Hibs.

Gary Miller 6/10 - Solid and does the job. Hopefully here again next season.

Mustapha Dumbuya 9/10 - Thought replacing O'Donnell would be pretty impossible but we've done it. Gives us a massive attacking threat. Only thing that stops him being 10 is his injuries.

Callum Booth 9/10 - Was very meh in his loan spell the season previous but he's really improved and came 2nd (I think) in the POTY. Thank you Hibs.

Ryan Edwards 7/10 - Very slow start due to a lack of fitness then heading on international duty but showed his ability in the closing games. Think he'll be a big player for us next year. Also has magnificent hair.

Robbie Muirhead 4/10 - Scored 2 against Killie but did little else. Although, wouldn't mind having him back.

David Amoo 7/10 - Another one with a slow start. Looked to have zero confidence for the first few months although he pitched in with a few goals (loves a header from 4 yards out). Like most wingers he's inconsistent but when he's on-form he's excellent. Some defenders looked terrified of him (Andrew Considine).

Antonio German 0/10 - lol.

Mathias Pogba 5/10 - Not a great footballer but he can cause problems. Hopefully a full pre-season helps him and improves his fitness.

Aidan Nesbitt 4/10 - Similar to Muirhead. The boy has ability but not sure he's ready to play constantly at this level. Wouldn't be against him coming back.

Archived