The Petrofact Cup 16/17

Has anyone heard if the proposals have went through regarding Welsh and Irish teams participating in this year's tournament and how some clubs feel regarding this prospect.

Certainly makes it a bit more interesting apart from the travel costs that could occur.

I like the idea where clubs outside the top flight has in with a shout of winning a domestic cup carried over from the challenge cup & coke cola, shown the odd game on MG Alba - no change for me to the rules or format of this cup, will we have the draw this season as well as this new so called betfred league cup?

I like the idea where clubs outside the top flight has in with a shout of winning a domestic cup carried over from the challenge cup & coke cola, shown the odd game on MG Alba - no change for me to the rules or format of this cup, will we have the draw this season as well as this new so called betfred league cup?

Try again, this time in English!

Has anyone heard if the proposals have went through regarding Welsh and Irish teams participating in this year's tournament and how some clubs feel regarding this prospect.

Certainly makes it a bit more interesting apart from the travel costs that could occur.

Have to say that I think this is the most stupid idea that's been suggested for Scottish football in my 40+ years of following it!

It's a horrendous idea.  I understand that all the games would be played in Scotland, but when the cup is regionalised as it is specifically because of travel costs, what on earth is in it for some Welsh team to trek all the way up to Scotland to play Cowdenbeath or Forfar midweek?  Would the SPFL be giving them some kind of subsidy to make it worth their while?  Because attendances won't cover that cost, that's for sure.  And let's not go near colt teams.  The idiots that run our game have been trying to force them on the lower leagues for years, and this will just give them precedent.  Because what Stirling fan wouldn't give their left arm to see their team play Hamilton Accies reserves?   

Archived