West of Scotland Senior League

edinabear

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would like our club to make steps towards moving into the pyramid for sure.

Starting to think like this myself.

No saying I have aspirations to see my team play in a national senior league but think a unified non league system would thrive.

Just had enough of our west region shambles to be honest.

i would like our club to make steps towards moving into the pyramid for sure.

Starting to think like this myself.

No saying I have aspirations to see my team play in a national senior league but think a unified non league system would thrive.

Just had enough of our west region shambles to be honest.

giphy.gif

• 1 month later...

Anyone heard that the West of Scotland feeder is now being set up?

I had read somewhere that the Irn-Bru Cup was being used as a testing ground for Rangers and Celtic Colts to join the pyramid in a new tier 6 West league with Glasgow Uni and some junior clubs

Probably just pish though

The interview of the new EKFC manager that was posted in another thread seemed to hint at something like that. If the SPFL development league was used as a starting point there would be seven teams (Rangers, Celtic, Hamilton Accies, Motherwell, Partick Thistle, St Mirren and Kilmarnock) as a starting point. Glasgow Uni, Edusport and Girvan makes ten. Only point of interest is what the glass ceiling would be for the U20 teams. In the east, the EoS would get 4 or 5 new recruits (Hibs, Hertz, Falkirk, Dunfermline and maybe St Johnstone), while HL2 could get up and running with at least five (Dundee, Dundee United, Aberdeen, ICT, Ross county and maybe St Johnstone) with BoD and Golspie also potentially available. At that point there is a more reasonable point of entry for new clubs coming in from below especially after a few seasons of pro/rel churn has moved some of the U20 teams up to HL and LL level. 

Yes, that's what happens in pyramids. You have to earn your place based on what you do on the field of play and every club finds its natural niche. If it's U20 rather than U23 (i.e. not the German approach) I would question how much upward movement there would be. Think it would clear out some of the weaker portions of the HL and LL and that would be about it.

edit: on the west league angle maybe it could include the licensed SoS clubs (Wigtown, Threave and St Cuthberts) as well and the restructure would be about making tier 6 entry level licensed across the board?

I would be all for a West of Scotland league but would be opposed to it being filled with B teams. Surely if this does happen it would be the perfect time to get some of the bigger junior teams on board rather then flooding the league with Under 20 sides?

I have seen this mentioned on a few different threads now but the only source has been the EKFC manager.

No Colts in the pyramid, period. I think the EoS should really tell Spartans and Stirling Uni to GTF, but giving their current predicament, they are in no position to do so.

I am supportive of a WoS league at tier 6:

Glasgow Uni
Girvan
Third Lanark

8 is the absolute minimum and 10 is probably the lowest it could viably work with, so after that you're looking at, BSC Glasgow (if they're in the bottom 2 in LL), Edusport (if they move to Lanarkshire) and convincing at least 3 Junior clubs.

So unfortunately the Colts may be used an excuse to supplement the aforementioned teams in creating a West League, which would be a disaster for Scottish football

No Colts in the pyramid, period. I think the EoS should really tell Spartans and Stirling Uni to GTF, but giving their current predicament, they are in no position to do so.

Glasgow Uni

Girvan

Third Lanark

8 is the absolute minimum and 10 is probably the lowest it could viably work with, so after that you're looking at, BSC Glasgow (if they're in the bottom 2 in LL), Edusport (if they move to Lanarkshire) and convincing at least 3 Junior clubs.

So unfortunately the Colts may be used an excuse to supplement the aforementioned teams in creating a West League, which would be a disaster for Scottish football

Spartans withdrew from next seasons East of Scotland League.

I know its all speculation but would this West league be at the same level as the EoS and SoS leagues, or the same as EoS but above SoS? Would it be a renaming of the SoS to be inclusive of (what was) Strathclyde as well as D&G?

We'll have to wait and see obviously, but I would have thought it would be a case of replacing the SoS as the direct feeder to the LL for the west given the SoS clearly isn't fit for purpose to be anything more than the strongest amateur league in D&G, and a new regional league was specifically mentioned in the interview with EKFC's manager. Even in the east the EoS is in desperate shape and may not survive more than another two or three seasons unless radical changes are made. The five U20 teams (Hearts, Hibs, Falkirk, Dunfermline and St Johnstone) plus Burntisland and Coldstream would be a good starting point for that sort of revamp and a shape up or ship out ultimatum in licensing terms to the rest would probably be the next step after that. 

Glasgow Uni

Girvan

Third Lanark

Don't tell me, let me guess...are Third Lanark about to make another announcement?

Maybe this year's Challenge Cup is to guage how much risk there is of U20 clubs moving up en masse to SPFL2 sort of level? Think there's not much danger. Most players at that sort of level ultimately don't make the grade.

Its not how high they are in the system, its them being in it at all.

The purpose, approach and targets of youth/reserve teams are entirely different to first teams, having them both within the same system is not acceptable.

Glasgow Uni

Girvan

Third Lanark

Unlikely to see Third Lanark in one any time in the future. They appear to be too busy arguing amongst themselves about what the club's future direction is to be, which after the Old Oak Thistle debacle last year I thought was behind them.

As I mentioned back in April. those in charge of Third Lanark the team and those in charge of Third Lanark the club appear to be run on rather the same lines as British train companies versus Railtrack, & with much the same outcome.

Archived