Derbies next season

There's no real way of telling how many Renfrewshire inhabitants would show up for a derby at Hampden or a smaller venue. Both clubs are er, blessed, with quite a lot fair-weather supporters. Many have become pretty disenfranchised due to both teams being complete and utter shite, but I'd still wager we could at least pack out Tynecastle/Easter Road.

I'd say there's more chance of us meeting in the Champions League as there is a domestic semi or final though. So for now, we'll never really know.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our derby is now Hibs. Some twat has decided it would be good to make Dunfermline a part of Edinburgh.

You're our rivals next season (especially if Falkirk beat Killie)? Oh all right then, dukes up

CW8-BtYUMAA9dWN.png

Morton v St.Mirren would be in the top 5 in my book. There is a massive hatred between both sets of supporters. Down the lie a bit it was quite the violent affair. With both sides playing in the same league again next season, after 4 pretty dull games this season, you'd hope they'll improve next year.

The issue with Morton is that our commercial department are a hack of shit and sell tickets the week of the game. Have them 2, maybe 3 weeks prior. Promote the game in short - create a buzz about what a derby game is all about.

On the topic of how many could they take to a cup semi at Hampden (or a bigger ground). St Mirren won in the League Cup final in front of about 40k, I could say both sides could muster roughly 20k each in such a game if it was going to happen. A) it being a very rare occasion - much like Morton playing in Europe, it'd be a once in a lifetime opportunity for many. And B) our supporters have shown they'd turn up for the big games(do you blame them though?). Motherwell a few years back when we sold out the away stand, and about 5k away to thistle in the 'decider' for the championship. The crowds are there, but without the right push from the club, it'll never happen.

The Ayrshire derby is fairly obviously bigger than any of these.  We had over 25,000 for a League Cup semi - none of those other fixtures would get close to that.

Falkirk and Dunfermline couldn't even muster up 18k for a Scottish Cup semi.  The last league meetings of Raith v Dunfermline and St Mirren v Morton reeled in attendances in the region of 4000.  They just don't have the same pull as an Ayrshire derby.

Since we have never played the Pars in a Cup Semi Final its difficult to know how many would be at Semi or Final at Hampden. The only recent comparison would probably be the league decider from a few years ago when East End Park was sold out (around 12K). Its likely there would have been many more had the ground been bigger.

Killie v Ayr is an almost identical derby to us v the Rovers, especially under the circumstances it might happen.

In regards to the crowd-wanking, there will be a bigger crowd when the teams haven't played for decades and are in a cup semi than when they've played each other 4 times in the seasons before, during and after the game.

The latest Fife derby was pretty meaningless for the Rovers in terms of league position, that crowd included probably around 2k pars fans. The title decider drew in over 11k (full house) at east end. The first derby at starks after we came down had a crowd of over 6k (again with 2k pars fans)

I get that you were probably on the wind-up and you probably class this as a "bite"

If Falkirk stay down we will be pissing money next season.

a third of our home games will be against the Rovers, Hibs or Falkirk. After three seasons with diddy teams (one season with sevco) who bring <100 fans to East End it will be refreshing to actually see a visible away support, as well as all their delicious money.

#ballin

The Ayrshire derby is at least 4th. There is a fair argument that its a far bigger rivalry than the Dundee one too to be honest. In fact so could St Mirren v Morton be.

What does this "fair argument" consist of?

The Ayrshire derby is at least 4th. There is a fair argument that its a far bigger rivalry than the Dundee one too to be honest. In fact so could St Mirren v Morton be.

The Dundee derby is surely the 3rd biggest these days, in terms of crowd? The numbers have dwindled over the years not least because the capacity of the grounds have reduced.

Would Killie v Ayr get 15,000 in Rugby Park? Would be very impressive if they did.

What does this "fair argument" consist of?

In my opinion there is a lot more genuine hatred and enmity between the Ayrshire clubs and indeed the Paisley / Greenock derby (and possibly the Fife one, though not sure about it) than there ever has been in the Dundee derby.

Despite the closeness of the physical clubs (in fact maybe exactly because of the physical closeness of the clubs) I've never really thought there was the same vitriol about the Dundee derby. There used to be a history of fans watching whichever one was at home each week, something that isn't true of any of the other derbies discussed. I have no doubt there is great passion in the Dundee derby I just don't think it ever had the actual ill feeling of the others. I know Ricky Ross has previously said in interviews that he thinks that's something fairly unique to Dundee derbies over any other city derby (I think there may be a touch of similarity with the Liverpool one personally). One of my best friends is a Dundee United fan and his attitude was certainly similar.

The Dundee derby is surely the 3rd biggest these days, in terms of crowd? The numbers have dwindled over the years not least because the capacity of the grounds have reduced.

Would Killie v Ayr get 15,000 in Rugby Park? Would be very impressive if they did.

I wasn't really discussing crowd size though, more the depth of dislike to the actual rivalry.

The Ayrshire derby isn't even as big as Aberdeen vs Dundee United.

I beg to differ. Cumnock v Glenafton is a bigger "derby" than the supposed 'New Firm' derby. It's not just about crowd sizes.

I'm not one to w**k over crowds but shouldn't that be one of the criteria when deciding which is a bigger derby?

East Fife vs Cowdenbeath has a lot of vitriol but there is never any more than a crowd in the hundreds.

I wasn't really discussing crowd size though, more the depth of dislike to the actual rivalry.

Ok. I thought you were maybe meaning fierceness/hatred versus crowd size. I like to think of the Dundee rivalry as a friendly one. Everyone has family/friends/neighbours/workmates that cross the divide. A very small % take it too far. Plus there's no sectarian element at all in Dundee (unlike the OF and Edinburgh).

I've loved United going down this year but I will miss the derbies :(

I'm not one to w**k over crowds but shouldn't that be one of the criteria when deciding which is a bigger derby?

East Fife vs Cowdenbeath has a lot of vitriol but there is never any more than a crowd in the hundreds.

The debate here though was over which derby was "the best" which is of course a subjective terms meaning something slightly different to everyone. If you want to judge it on crowds then just measure the average over say the last 10 meetings and see what the answer is, there won't be any debate. The only discussion would be on what is a "derby" in the first place. Is Celtic v St Mirren a derby? There's no traditional rivalry but they are relatively close geographically and will have a high average crowd.

The debate here though was over which derby was "the best" which is of course a subjective terms meaning something slightly different to everyone. If you want to judge it on crowds then just measure the average over say the last 10 meetings and see what the answer is, there won't be any debate. The only discussion would be on what is a "derby" in the first place. Is Celtic v St Mirren a derby? There's no traditional rivalry but they are relatively close geographically and will have a high average crowd.

post-31698-0-40686000-1463257090.jpg

Just Been looking at the possible teams for next season, and there will be a good few possible Derby games, which will be good.

Raith vs pars

Falkirk vs pars (maybe)

St Mirren vs Morton

Dumbarton vs Morton

Ayr vs Killie (maybe)

Killie vs Stranraer (maybe)

Nothing really for Dundee Utd, but with no Edinburgh Derby either. Still, at least raith, Dunfermline, and possibly Falkirk will be close enough for them. And I'm sure a few of those games would be shown live.

Only half of those are even derbies.

I'd class St. Mirren v Killie and Morton v killie as more derby like fixtures than most of those. And those aren't derbies either.

Archived