Election Spreadsheet

If anyone is interested, I have pulled together a spreadsheet to record the election results as they come in.  I had posted it in another topic, but it got lost in amongst all the other threads.  The spreadsheet has a host of information all in the one place as well, such as Sitting MP, Sitting Party, Declaration Time in 2011 etc.

To use it, simply click on the link at the bottom, then download the file.  Then go into the “2016 Result†tab and enter the results or forecasts in column F, for the constituency results.  Also record the size of the electorate in the relevant white box in Column L

For the regional results or forecasts enter the relevant amounts in each column in the “Regional Results†tab.

The “Overviewâ€, “No of Seats†and “Turnout†tabs will then be automatically updated.  Column P on the far right of the Overview tab can be used to make notes about constituencies.  

This is just for a bit of fun, so this spreadsheet is used at your own risk.  I cannot take any responsibility for anything going wrong or any errors.

The calculations for allocating the regional results were pretty complex, but I am hopeful it all works OK.

Link to spreadsheet

If anyone is interested, I have pulled together a spreadsheet to record the election results as they come in.  I had posted it in another topic, but it got lost in amongst all the other threads.  The spreadsheet has a host of information all in the one place as well, such as Sitting MP, Sitting Party, Declaration Time in 2011 etc.

To use it, simply click on the link at the bottom, then download the file.  Then go into the “2016 Result†tab and enter the results or forecasts in column F, for the constituency results.  Also record the size of the electorate in the relevant white box in Column L

For the regional results or forecasts enter the relevant amounts in each column in the “Regional Results†tab.

The “Overviewâ€, “No of Seats†and “Turnout†tabs will then be automatically updated.  Column P on the far right of the Overview tab can be used to make notes about constituencies.  

This is just for a bit of fun, so this spreadsheet is used at your own risk.  I cannot take any responsibility for anything going wrong or any errors.

The calculations for allocating the regional results were pretty complex, but I am hopeful it all works OK.

Link to spreadsheet

I've updated the spreadsheet with the results if anyone is interested.  Link above still works.

That's an excellent spreadsheet.

I saved it and tried tae open it in Excel 2003 but it disnae.

You probably didn't save it properly since you're using an out-of-date version of Firefox/Internet Explorer on Windows XP m9.

You probably didn't save it properly since you're using an out-of-date version of Firefox/Internet Explorer on Windows XP m9.

The browser would not affect the spreadsheet when it is downloaded. It's the version of Excel or other spreadsheet that is the issue. Open Office is free (open source) and should open it.

Using that spreadsheet, if every list vote for SNP went to greens instead it would read:

Tories 16

Labour 13

Lib Dem 4

SNP 59

Greens 37

If all green votes went to SNP:

Tories 30

Labour 25

Lib Dem 5

SNP 69

Green 0

Just sayin'.

The browser would not affect the spreadsheet when it is downloaded. It's the version of Excel or other spreadsheet that is the issue. Open Office is free (open source) and should open it.

You're spot on.

It's the same with Word docs.

The up-to-date version of Word has a file ending of .docx instead of .doc

The spreadsheet I downloaded says it opens with Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Workbook

I have Office 2003.

I'll mibbe try Open Office although I'll no be using the spreadsheet for another 5 years :thumsup2

Using that spreadsheet, if every list vote for SNP went to greens instead it would read:

Tories 16

Labour 13

Lib Dem 4

SNP 59

Greens 37

Tories 30

Labour 25

Lib Dem 5

SNP 69

Green 0

Just sayin'.

That is an eye-opener. I voted SNP/SNP does that mean I'm SNPbad?

I just don't understand all the nonsense about how #bothvotesSNP folk can be so angry with the greens getting a 2nd vote. Surely they'd have given up their 4 list seats for an extra 31 pro-indy seats theoretically? The problem was a bit of uncertainty of Soliday/RISE splitting the vote but in theory even something like 61 SNP, 15 Greens or something like that would have been better. Or SNP list in the borders and another pro-indy elsewhere?

Most don't like to talk of votes being 'wasted' but basic maths tells you it's incredibly difficult to win any regional seats when you're sweeping up all constituency seats no? In Lanarkshire and Glasgow SNP were never going to take any list seats.

I was implying he hadn't actually downloaded the file. I was taking the piss out of Willie XP.

I was implying he hadn't actually downloaded the file. I was taking the piss out of Willie XP.

Gotcha :thumsup2

I just don't understand all the nonsense about how #bothvotesSNP folk can be so angry with the greens getting a 2nd vote. Surely they'd have given up their 4 list seats for an extra 31 pro-indy seats theoretically? The problem was a bit of uncertainty of Soliday/RISE splitting the vote but in theory even something like 61 SNP, 15 Greens or something like that would have been better. Or SNP list in the borders and another pro-indy elsewhere?

Most don't like to talk of votes being 'wasted' but basic maths tells you it's incredibly difficult to win any regional seats when you're sweeping up all constituency seats no? In Lanarkshire and Glasgow SNP were never going to take any list seats.

I'm in North Perthshire.

Did my double SNP vote affect the list?

I'm in North Perthshire.

Did my double SNP vote affect the list?

Mid Scotland & Fife got 4 Tories, 2 Labour, 1 Green.

Roughly 120k votes for SNP, 18k for Greens.

19000 SNP regional votes going to green would have given 1 more green at the expense of the Tories.

Another 37000 would give a green at the expense of the Tories again.

Another 29000 would give a green at the expense of Labour.

Alternatively if every Green regional vote was given to the SNP then Labour would have taken the Green seat.

If I'm using that spreadsheet properly, which I think I am...

ETA: Even with the RISE and Solidarity votes given to the SNP it would only have resulted in another Labour seat.

Looking at my own region of Central Scotland:

The SNP would have needed to take 16000 of the 17000 Green/Rise/Solidarity 2nd votes to take a seat from the Tories.

The Greens needed another 1800 votes to take a seat from the Tories (RISE got 1636, Solidarity got 2684 and SNP got 129k)

Another 19000 would have seen them take a seat from Labour.

Another 30000 would have seen them take another seat from the Tories.

Tories 16

Labour 13

Lib Dem 4

SNP 59

Greens 37

Tories 30

Labour 25

Lib Dem 5

SNP 69

Green 0

Just sayin'.

The Greens are their own party not some sort of SNP proxy vote.

However, what would the result have been if the 3 Bitter Together parties votes were combined?

The Greens are their own party not some sort of SNP proxy vote.

However, what would the result have been if the 3 Bitter Together parties votes were combined?

No I know - I voted SNP/green myself because I like Green policies and want them to have an input and influence on the SNP government. I'm merely tinkering with numbers from the indy viewpoint. Wings is having a heads gone lash out at people voting Greens and a few people who read his blog before the vote told me they didn't want to risk the Unionist parties getting in through the back door.

The bitter together parties picked up most of their seats from the list so I'm not sure where they could steal any seats with tactical list voting. Give me a region and I'll play about with it to see. 

Mid Scotland & Fife got 4 Tories, 2 Labour, 1 Green.

Roughly 120k votes for SNP, 18k for Greens.

19000 SNP regional votes going to green would have given 1 more green at the expense of the Tories.

Another 37000 would give a green at the expense of the Tories again.

Another 29000 would give a green at the expense of Labour.

Alternatively if every Green regional vote was given to the SNP then Labour would have taken the Green seat.

If I'm using that spreadsheet properly, which I think I am...

ETA: Even with the RISE and Solidarity votes given to the SNP it would only have resulted in another Labour seat.

Thanks for that.

In that scenario what effect did my (and other SNP) vote(s) do in the list.

Presumably most of the SNP voters did SNP/SNP which gave a list return of 4 Tories, 2 Labour, 1 Green.

If 19000 SNP gave their vote to the greens on the list it would have been greens +1 tories -1

If 37000 on top of the first 19000 had given their vote to the greens would have been another +1 and tories another -1

and if a further 29000 SNP votes had gone to the greens on the list it would have meant another greens +1 and labour -1

If my sums are correct if 85,000 SNP voters in Mid Scotland & Fife had given their votes to the greens on the list,

The list MSP's would have been greens 4, tories 2 and labour 1.

Food for thought.

Excellent spreadsheet which I have just vandalised.

If the election was Yes (SNP/Green) vs NO (Labour/Tory/LDs) the result would have been

66 Yes (27 constituency, 39 list)

63 No (46 constituency, 17 list)

I just left the fringe parties as they were

*Adding RISE and Solidarity to Yes and UKIP to No

65 Yes

64 No

Excellent spreadsheet which I have just vandalised.

If the election was Yes (SNP/Green) vs NO (Labour/Tory/LDs) the result would have been

66 Yes (27 constituency, 39 list)

63 No (46 constituency, 17 list)

I just left the fringe parties as they were

*Adding RISE and Solidarity to Yes and UKIP to No

65 Yes

64 No

Jeez I dinnae like that. Tell no one and lets keep it a secret :unsure2:

Also if you group YES as SNP, Green, Rise, Solidarity and NO as Labour, Tories, Lib Dems and UKIP you get

47% Yes

53% No

Hard to see a Yes vote for a while unless there's a Brexit or Labour open to it. Another reason why it's sensible not to call another referendum in the next 5 years barring exceptional circumstances.

Archived