West of Scotland Cup Final

archieb

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if Pollok in final where would it be played??? 2 Ayrshire teams in final so final should be in Ayrshire meadow Park would be central to all

The final of the Central League Cup in 2013 (Ashfield v Pollok) was held at Newlandsfield.

Cumnock or Auchinleck def in the final, junior football is / was and will continue to be very much a local community sport, with the added advantage in this present day of providing interest to locals who might be disadvantaged of being unable to travel or just not being able to get off work in time to travel to a venue. Newlandsfield, while great in junior football terms is not any better (spectator and playing surface ) to several Ayrshire venues that could be reached for half the cost or more importantly in half the time. Sometimes you just can't legislate for results and circumstance but you can adjust to suit the fans.

I love Newlandsfield as a Junior Venue, my second favourite. Personally this suites me fine should my team make because of where I live. However, I definitely think that for most of the reasons given already, this is not right. On a pragmatic note, one thing that goes against Newlandsfield for hosting a final is the playing surface, not the quality but the size. Probably one of the tightest playing areas in the Grade. Anyway, money talks and favours delivered, so Newlandsfield it is, I hope I can enjoy a beer or two in the local hostelries and see my team grace the final.

This cup is a feckin joke along with the west region beaks. It's the usual the beaks are happy never mind the fans that follow their team. This cup is meant to be the wests prestigious cup yet it's being played on a Friday night ? Can't understand this at all. Many folk work on a Friday so won't be able to make the game never mind it's been played in Glasgow rather than in Ayrshire. I can't see many neutrals at the game and I'd like to ask all the pollok supporters on here defending the decision to hold it there, would they be happy if it was the other way round but hey as long as the beaks are happy then it's fine feck us supporters

This cup is a feckin joke along with the west region beaks. It's the usual the beaks are happy never mind the fans that follow their team. This cup is meant to be the wests prestigious cup yet it's being played on a Friday night ? Can't understand this at all. Many folk work on a Friday so won't be able to make the game never mind it's been played in Glasgow rather than in Ayrshire. I can't see many neutrals at the game and I'd like to ask all the pollok supporters on here defending the decision to hold it there, would they be happy if it was the other way round but hey as long as the beaks are happy then it's fine feck us supporters

Not defending it but if say a Meadow supporter sponsored it and we were playing Petershill in the final I'd be happy to go to Irvine. It's not as if it's being played in Edinburgh it's only up the road.

You don't see us complaining too much about the Scottish Cup final against an Ayrshire team being held in Ayrshire? My only gripe with Rugby park is the pitch, I'd rather play it at Bellsdale than on Astro.

Not defending it but if say a Meadow supporter sponsored it and we were playing Petershill in the final I'd be happy to go to Irvine. It's not as if it's being played in Edinburgh it's only up the road.

You don't see us complaining too much about the Scottish Cup final against an Ayrshire team being held in Ayrshire? My only gripe with Rugby park is the pitch, I'd rather play it at Bellsdale than on Astro.

If it were pollok v arthurlie in the final would you be delighted to go to say auchinleck on a Friday night for the final in a game contesting two Central based teams?

If it were pollok v arthurlie in the final would you be delighted to go to say auchinleck on a Friday night for the final in a game contesting two Central based teams?

Auchinleck isn't a fair comparison as the transport links aren't great, that's why I said Irvine. Troon, Kilbirnie, Largs would be fine. But if a Talbot fan had put their money into sponsoring the cup then it'd be a minor inconvenience.

I like Newlandsfield so if we win on Saturday I'll be quite happy to go there. My only gripe is that it's on a Friday night. I know that the Scottish Cup Final is on the Saturday at Hampden but why not play it on the Sunday then? Game won't finish until 9pm if it doesn't go to penalties, then by the time the Cup is presented, time to do committee duties, time to travel home, there isn't much time for celebrating in your home town or much incentive for the players to come back for a couple of hours.

Beith's park is only two miles closer to Rugby Park than Newlandsfield.

Auchinleck isn't a fair comparison as the transport links aren't great, that's why I said Irvine. Troon, Kilbirnie, Largs would be fine. But if a Talbot fan had put their money into sponsoring the cup then it'd be a minor inconvenience.

Sorry chappie but just don't agree with that, there are trains and buses go through and stop at Auchinleck on a regular basis. Apart from the fact that most fans travel by private car or supporters bus. It is a very fair comparison, Beechwood with its surface seating capacity, cover and layout is as good as it gets at a Junior venue.

Totally agree with the above.

My good man, this pro Pollok stance has been on the go since this tournament was regarded as prestigious. In 1980 Talbot played Rob Roy in the final at Newlandsfield on a Saturday night. A central league play off had taken place earlier that day at the same venue.  

Does the amount of bubbling about final venues suggest that there are too many cup competitions in the Juniors? You see it on here every year and almost every cup competition from National to Regional. 

Outwith the Junior goldfish bowl teams routinely travel for upwards of an hour each way to complete fixtures without the grumbling that goes on as soon as some Junior fans are asked to stray more than half an hour from their house. 

Friday night football has been embraced elsewhere because it suits people going straight from work and can be used as the warm up to a night out afterwards. In the World of Junior football different rules seem to apply.

If your team reaches a fairly important final, you have the chance of a night out with a good bevy, and you're still moaning then maybe it's time to cheer up a wee bit.

My good man, this pro Pollok stance has been on the go since this tournament was regarded as prestigious. In 1980 Talbot played Rob Roy in the final at Newlandsfield on a Saturday night. A central league play off had taken place earlier that day at the same venue.

Agreed and back in the 80s Polloks ground and pitch was way ahead of it's time , indeed one example is that while other junior grounds had saw dust to line their pitches pollok were using paint and it was all so ahead of its time at newlandsfield so it was understandable why they hosted all the games.

Fast forward to present day though and other grounds have caught up with pollok in terms of how their pitch is treated and other work which has been done to bring their grounds up to standard hence why cup finals should be spread about from ground to ground more and troon for example deserve rewards for all that theyve done down there with their pitch and surroundings.

Archived