How to make the Most of Your List Vote

Ray Vaughn

post-1013-1462382964991_thumb.jpg

Here is a recent opinion poll from a couple of weeks ago which I've set out in a way that shows how the constituency seats and the list votes are combined to work out the awarding of List MSPs.

It shows that in most areas outside the Highlands and Islands that an SNP list vote is heavily diluted by their likely stunning success in the constituencies. This outline is to show what might happen if 10% of the total votes swings from SNP to Green to see what would happen, just for fun like.

I'll try to post all eight areas if P&B let me but the bottom line is that the Greens would gain 8 lists seats outside the Highlands and Islands with SNP losing its only list seat outside the Highlands and Islands, the rest being at Labour, Tory and LIBDem expense.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By wiping more Labour and Tories off the parliament can only be a good thing for future.

Might make Labour break away completely from UK party and less fecking Tories is a no brainier.

It won't though they are only taking votes and seats off the SNP in almost all cases, so f**k them if they want votes let them put forward policies people want to vote for.

Both votes SNP for me tomorrow, as they're the party I want to vote for.

When you understand how the list system (Additional Member System to give it its proper name) works then you will see it is entirely mathematical and by the time you vote is divided by four there is not that much difference to being divided by three or five.

In 1999, Labour didn't get one list seat outside the Highlands &Islands. They overachieved in the constituencies but nowhere near as much as the SNP will do tomorrow.

Each SNP list vote is divided by something like 9 or 10 so it is a diluted vote. You get more independence for your list vote with the Greens than SNP. Make your own mind up but do it informed. No wonder the parties keep the list mechanism quiet from the public.

Lothians?

I clipped the top of the sheet off when I cut and pasted the poll into my iPad. What I've called East Scotland may actually be called Lothians.( I guessed it as my "please-take" cover class was coming to an end and I wanted to get this finished before Dinnertime.)

Archived