Start of the new season

Burnie_man

Given that the SJFA abolished the archaic “no football before 3rd Saturday in July†rule at last years AGM and left it open to the Regions to decide when to start the season (only the North did), are we going to do the sensible thing in the West and East Regions and allow clubs to play from 1st July onwards like the rest of Scottish football?  The SJFA really should not have left it upto the Regions to decide, this needs reviewed.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talbot and Hurlford contested the Ayrshire Cup final on 17th of June last season. If Beith progress to the final in the Ayrshire and the West, they and their opponents shall face a similar scenario. It would be unreasonable to expect them to start so early.

If the others start early then Beith or whoever would be facing early season midweek games to catch up. I understand that starting the season early would reduce congestion at the tail, but this season's successful clubs could be disadvantaged.

I think Burnieman is referring to playing of friendlies rather than competitive matches. Would that decision be made at the regional egms which are usually held in June?

Are friendly permit dates covered by the Junior thing of not allowing rule changes to be revisited within 2 years, or are they separate items of business.

Talbot and Hurlford contested the Ayrshire Cup final on 17th of June last season. If Beith progress to the final in the Ayrshire and the West, they and their opponents shall face a similar scenario. It would be unreasonable to expect them to start so early.

If the others start early then Beith or whoever would be facing early season midweek games to catch up. I understand that starting the season early would reduce congestion at the tail, but this season's successful clubs could be disadvantaged.

It's friendlies I'm talking about, so allow clubs to arrange them from 1st July onwards in they wish. Some clubs seasons are finished already.

Are friendly permit dates covered by the Junior thing of not allowing rule changes to be revisited within 2 years, or are they separate items of business.

I don't think there is anything stopping clubs voting to allow an earlier start, there's no moratorium on discussing it regularly.

It's friendlies I'm talking about, so allow clubs to arrange them from 1st July onwards in they wish. Some clubs seasons are finished already.

Ok. Didn't realise clubs weren't allowed to play friendlies whenever they wanted too. Sounds bizarrely draconian.

I don't think there is anything stopping clubs voting to allow an earlier start, there's no moratorium on discussing it regularly.

As the club that proposed scrapping it last year in the west (we lost by a significant number) I still can't get my head around the decision by other clubs and the reasons that were given.

As HJ rightly points out in the west at least it cannot be revisited this year with the 2 year rule kicking it into the long grass till next years agm but I wouldn't of proposed it anyway as there seems to be no change towards making it more flexible for clubs to take friendlies.

I don't see any reason why clubs can't play friendlies and just not give 2 fucks about what the regional JFA say. The sfa deal with referee appointments and if necessary just play against an amateur team, SPFL team or team from a different region rather than from your own. Clubs that have finished late will want their players to rest whilst clubs that finish in May can reasonably want to crack on a bit earlier.

I don't see any reason why clubs can't play friendlies and just not give 2 fucks about what the regional JFA say. The sfa deal with referee appointments and if necessary just play against an amateur team, SPFL team or team from a different region rather than from your own. Clubs that have finished late will want their players to rest whilst clubs that finish in May can reasonably want to crack on a bit earlier.

If you play without a permit from your affiliated association you will be fined each time. Yes the SFA appoint the officials but the region can cancel the game if you haven't gained permission.

I don't think the 2 year rule applies in this case as the rule has been abolished by the SJFA. It's upto each Region whether they want to stop clubs playing, I don't even think it should go to a vote either, the SJFA should just state that clubs are free to play from 1st July, end of story. After all there was no vote on it at the SJFA AGM.

Surely if games were able to start earlier then the season could finish earlier? Therefore no need to be playing finals during the knockout stages of euro champs and world cups.

If you play without a permit from your affiliated association you will be fined each time. Yes the SFA appoint the officials but the region can cancel the game if you haven't gained permission.

Your players also wouldn't be covered by insurance if you play without a permit.

It's just an example of the shining cameraderie - "we don't want to play so you're not getting to". "Mon the juniors" my arse.

I can see your point in most things, this thing included, but you're needing to get your team away from the Juniors.

You'll bring us all down with you, droopy drawers!

I can see your point in most things, this thing included, but you're needing to get your team away from the Juniors.

You'll bring us all down with you, droopy drawers!

So you can see my point but ... very good.

This "everyone has to do everything the same" is a load of pish and an unnecessary restriction. If clubs want to play friendlies let them. All this rule does is deny them the opportunity to set some games up against senior teams who are looking to get their players fit too. We're almost at the stage where these games are difficult to get because by the time junior teams are "allowed" to play, senior teams don't need them.

What precisely is wrong with allowing teams to choose the point at which they start playing after 1st July (or the SJFA AGM for that matter)? If the club's players and officials don't want to then they won't.

So you can see my point but ... very good.

This "everyone has to do everything the same" is a load of pish and an unnecessary restriction. If clubs want to play friendlies let them. All this rule does is deny them the opportunity to set some games up against senior teams who are looking to get their players fit too. We're almost at the stage where these games are difficult to get because by the time junior teams are "allowed" to play, senior teams don't need them.

What precisely is wrong with allowing teams to choose the point at which they start playing after 1st July (or the SJFA AGM for that matter)? If the club's players and officials don't want to then they won't.

Remember also that the SPFL League Cup will kick off the same day we’re allowed (as it stands) to start playing friendlies. 

It’s absolutely absurd, the SJFA at least recognised this by removing the rule, but why leave it upto the Regions to decide when to start? A half-arsed rule change.

Let clubs play friendlies from 1st July if they want, if some clubs don’t want to play then they don’t need to, it’s fairly simple.  Hopefully the Regions do what is right, and those clubs who don’t want to play don’t stand in anyone’s way.

The alternative is to just force every club to play the same number of friendlies on the same days and at the same times so that everyone collectively gets the same preparation whether they need it or not. Clubs should just get on with it, play their games and tell their colleagues in their region to poke their permits and fines up their arse.

The alternative is to just force every club to play the same number of friendlies on the same days and at the same times so that everyone collectively gets the same preparation whether they need it or not. Clubs should just get on with it, play their games and tell their colleagues in their region to poke their permits and fines up their arse.

The danger is of course that playing without a permit may invalid your insurance.

It's easier for the SJFA to clarify that any club can play from 1st July onwards, and take the decision away from the Regions. We're talking about playing a game of fitba here, why should anyone stop that from happening if a club wants to.

Maybe a club like Lithgae can lead the way  :-)

Archived