Agriculture and Land Reform

The SNP have plans to tighten up on aspects of land ownership if reelected, but there is another element of Land Reform I'd like to see dealt with.

The 2003 act gave people in Scotland the "right to roam" responsibly.

I walk miles and miles in the countryside with my dog and I always keep her under control. Everywhere I go though I find gates padlocked or otherwise secured. Like so.

post-67724-1461483520607_thumb.jpg

This is illegal and totally out of order. I'm sick of planning a route online to then find I have to turn back and I'm tempted to start carrying a set of cutters for this stuff. Gates are not supposed to be locked, and responsible public access isn't supposed to be restricted.

As someone who lives in a rural community I am sympathetic to farmers on many issues. I feel though when it comes to land and land access they are just taking the piss and getting away with it.

I have sheep in my garden because the farmer doesn't fence them in properly. I don't actually mind them being there but what if I did? Nobody has asked me if I do mind.

I also see them spilling out of fields all over the place because the upkeep of fencing is so poor.

I do my bit in the countryside. I keep my dog under control at all times and bother nobody. I wish that Land Reform would be used to tackle miscreant farmers regarding access, which is almost all of them on this issue.

Farmers enjoy the massive privilege of having millions of acres of the countryside annexed for their commercial enterprises. Can't they play ball just a little?

I am in total agreement. My daughter has a horse and likes to go out hacking. The number of times she is stopped and told that she cannot ride shows the ignorance of land owners. She was even threatened with the police for riding through local woods. She now carries some flyers with her informing of horse riding rights as provided by the countryside access laws.

Farmers, given the occupation, should know better (and probably do) but plead ignorance on a regular basis.

The SNP have plans to tighten up on aspects of land ownership if reelected, but there is another element of Land Reform I'd like to see dealt with.

The 2003 act gave people in Scotland the "right to roam" responsibly.

I walk miles and miles in the countryside with my dog and I always keep her under control. Everywhere I go though I find gates padlocked or otherwise secured. Like so.

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1461483518.697220.jpg

This is illegal and totally out of order. I'm sick of planning a route online to then find I have to turn back and I'm tempted to start carrying a set of cutters for this stuff. Gates are not supposed to be locked, and responsible public access isn't supposed to be restricted.

As someone who lives in a rural community I am sympathetic to farmers on many issues. I feel though when it comes to land and land access they are just taking the piss and getting away with it.

I have sheep in my garden because the farmer doesn't fence them in properly. I don't actually mind them being there but what if I did? Nobody has asked me if I do mind.

I also see them spilling out of fields all over the place because the upkeep of fencing is so poor.

I do my bit in the countryside. I keep my dog under control at all times and bother nobody. I wish that Land Reform would be used to tackle miscreant farmers regarding access, which is almost all of them on this issue.

Farmers enjoy the massive privilege of having millions of acres of the countryside annexed for their commercial enterprises. Can't they play ball just a little?

You need to contact your local authority access officer.

They won't do a fucking thing about it other than write a letter but that's the procedure. If you are lucky you will have a decent local access forum you can escalate it too.

If not use the bolt cutters.

You need to contact your local authority access officer.

They won't do a fucking thing about it other than write a letter but that's the procedure. If you are lucky you will have a decent local access forum you can escalate it too.

If not use the bolt cutters.

Cheers, I'll try that. I had success doing that in the past when someone in another area thought it would be a good idea to padlock gates leading into public woodland. Just to "put people off coming near his land" apparently.

Eventually the council forced the removal of the locks with a section 14 notice, but what a hassle it all was.

Looking at this picture, why don't you just lift the wire over the top of the post? Open the gate, close it behind you and put the wire back over the post.  Doesn't seem too difficult.

Also if sheep are getting into your garden the obvious thing to do is for you to repair the fence. 

I am in total agreement. My daughter has a horse and likes to go out hacking. The number of times she is stopped and told that she cannot ride shows the ignorance of land owners. She was even threatened with the police for riding through local woods. She now carries some flyers with her informing of horse riding rights as provided by the countryside access laws.

Farmers, given the occupation, should know better (and probably do) but plead ignorance on a regular basis.

The problem is though is that the 2007 ruling for Ann Gloag completely undermined the principle of access.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/6750065.stm

As the OP says, the law needs tightened up.

Looking at this picture, why don't you just lift the wire over the top of the post? Open the gate, close it behind you and put the wire back over the post.  Doesn't seem too difficult.

Also if sheep are getting into your garden the obvious thing to do is for you to repair the fence. 

The obvious thing to do is to start eating mutton - and lots of it. :thumsup2

Pretty sure you're allowed to padlock a gate to stop unauthorised vehicles entering or passing through. It hardly looks prohibitive to pedestrian entry in the photo you've included there.

The SNP have got it wrong with regards to camping on Loch Lomondside aswell. Banning it due to a few spoiling camping.

Not a few, but whole gangs of glesga neds. Whole woods on fire, rubbish everywhere, it really was turning into a right state.

Pretty sure you're allowed to padlock a gate to stop unauthorised vehicles entering or passing through. It hardly looks prohibitive to pedestrian entry in the photo you've included there.

Prohibitive if you're old or not very mobile. Not everyone is an early twenties bawbag like yourself.

Looking at this picture, why don't you just lift the wire over the top of the post? Open the gate, close it behind you and put the wire back over the post. Doesn't seem too difficult.

Tried. It was quite difficult. Heavy duty galvanised wire twisted into place with tools.

Looking at this picture, why don't you just lift the wire over the top of the post? Open the gate, close it behind you and put the wire back over the post. Doesn't seem too difficult.

The bit of fence in question belongs to the farmer, not me.

You aren't allowed to padlock gates. As well as access there are safety considerations such as for emergency vehicles.

The wire wasn't removable with bare hands on this occasion but granted it sometimes is.

You aren't allowed to padlock gates. As well as access there are safety considerations such as for emergency vehicles.

The wire wasn't removable with bare hands on this occasion but granted it sometimes is.

My point was you don't have to remove the wire just lift it over the top of the post.

You *are* allowed to padlock gates if you can show reasonable cause to do so, like preventing access to unauthorised vehicles. The right to roam does not extend to vehicular access.

Archived