Keepers

Gordopolis

There seems to be a general feeling that Gordon, McGregor and Marshall are all much of a muchness. It made me wonder why I favour Gordon over the other two. Perhaps it's because he was in goal for an extended run of a few campaigns when we looked quite good (roughly 2005-2010) and that I can't remember him being on the end of a hiding.

So, can any of the stattos produce a table of Games played - Goals Conceded - Results (W/L/D) for each of the three goalies? I'd risk a cheeky 50p that Gordon's record is significantly better than that of the other two.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gordon was the best out the three until he got injured.   These days he's more mistake prone, and even less commanding than before, that said he's better than Marshall who's the worst out the three. 

1.  MacGregor

2.  Gordon

3.  Marshall

4.  Bain

Simples. 

GORDON

44 caps, 39 goals conceded

MCGREGOR

35 caps, 42 goals conceded

MARSHALL

22 caps, 35 goals conceded

Gordon is clearly out best keeper and McGregor is clearly the number 2 [/quote

Yeah, but you need to take in quality of opposition into account

Gordon was the best out the three until he got injured. These days he's more mistake prone, and even less commanding than before, that said he's better than Marshall who's the worst out the three.

1. MacGregor

2. Gordon

3. Marshall

4. Bain

Simples.

McGregor has been really quite mistake prone in recent times as well. He's had some real howlers for Hull in the past year.

GORDON 

44 caps, 39 goals conceded

MCGREGOR

35 caps, 42 goals conceded

MARSHALL

22 caps, 35 goals conceded

Gordon is clearly out best keeper and McGregor is clearly the number 2 

Thanks. Feeling quite smug and justified about that :)

1= Marshall

= Gordon

3 McGregor

4 Bain (but he'll be 1 in a few seasons if he keeps his development going)

This is how I would rate the keepers near a cap atm. McGregor I would say was past it but had an amazing game last week throwing everything into disrepute. Can he carry that form on though is the question?

Madness to judge keepers purely on stats.....crikey bob wilson would be a great pick in his day on that. All 3 keepers can do a fine job so ultimately its splitting hairs but since marshall has been playing regularly alongside Hanley n Martin id let him keep tge jersey

Would say Gordon, but hes had some fucking stinkers this season. I'll still say him though. Marshall strikes me as a totally average keeper who'll never make mistakes but will never make wondersaves either. While McGregors prone to complete nightmares. Bains still miles away.

I think the 'feel good' story of Gordon coming back from long term injury has blinded people to the fact that he is nowhere near as good as he was.

For me Marshall is our no.1, followed by MacGregor.

Like strikers we don't seem to be producing too many goalkeepers so these three might well be in the squads for a couple more campaigns.

Archer was getting good reviews at Millwall so hopefully he pushes on.

I've only seen Bain twice against Dunfermline, he was good for Alloa and you could tell he had something about him, was absolutely atrocious against us for Dundee though, probably just a one off though.

Marshall is bang average, Gordon and mcgregor up there game for scotland, can't say I've seen either of them have a bad game for us over the years. Marshall never makes the important saves in my opinion

Isn't that long ago McGregor was 2nd choice to oap steve harper while Marshall was being raved about in the epl.

Archived