Centre back

Scotland have still not lost a match in which Gordon Greer has played. Going by that logic, a team of Gordon Greer's would probably win us the World Cup.

Aye he's been solid for us. Shame he's nearly at the end of his career though.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll be surprised if Greer gets another Championship club after being released so it could well be the end of his international career.

I had hopes for Liam Cooper but I'm guessing Strachan can't have been impressed since he was one of the only ones to not get game time in the last two friendlies.

Gordon Greer being released will not put the Clown Strachan off in fact its only more likely to endear him to the Manager, I mean this is the same guy and dare we say it country who stuck by rubbish like Hutton when he wasn't anywhere near a game so a small matter of being released by a championship team at the young age of 35 is not likely to put Strachan off not a chance......Not only will he start at least one of the next 2 friendlies he will likely start the next campaign in the squad as an unattached player alongside love child Mulgrew who will no doubt be playing for someone like Birmingham.........

On Mulgrew, tbh I have always rated him but his injuries are catching up with him now though and what I always do find ironic as well is fact Strachan loves him so much yet he was one who punted him from celtic all those years ago!

From the very limited stuff I've seen of him this season, and what I've heard, Martin hasn't exactly been having a great time of it the last year. He's always been relatively decent for us, but I agree, we're weakest where 10 years ago it might have been where we were best.

Obviously we were pish throughout the squad 10 years ago whereas now we have some depth elsewhere in the team, but our centre backs were hardly solid then. If you look at the 2006 qualifying campaign, the most frequent starter at centre back was Andy Webster, with even the perma-diddy that was Steven Caldwell getting a start:

Andy Webster x8

David Weir x7

Steven Pressley x6

Malky Mackay x 1

Russell Anderson x1

Steven Caldwell x1 (plus one sub appearance)

Gary Caldwell also played six times, but it was three at right back and three in midfield.

Martin & Hanley aren't great, but they're comfortably better than everyone on that list other than Davie Weir. Even looking at the 2008 campaign where we were a better side, Stephen McManus was the only addition to that group of players, with Pressley still getting starts.

Folk seem to forget how bad we were ten years ago, Michael Stewart, Barry Nicholson and Richard Hughes were making squads.

Folk seem to forget how bad we were ten years ago, Michael Stewart, Barry Nicholson and Richard Hughes were making squads.

Richard Hughes has no part in that list. Decent player.

Ian Murray and Gary Holt got starts in that 2006 campaign too, with Lee Miller making a sub appearance. Huge talents such as Ryan Esson, Scott Severin and Stevie Crawford also featured in matchday squads.

Should be trying to get Caulker again.

If Caulker can't get anywhere near this current England squad with the shite they have in defence.....

Hardly kicked a ball for Liverpool too.

Maybe for him it's England or nothing, which is fair enough because I'd be the same. 

Paul Hanlon being linked with Aberdeen. Bit of a shame it's taken him this long to kick on but I can see him being a late developer in international terms, possibly getting called up this campaign or next depending on how he does at the Dons.

Paul Hanlon being linked with Aberdeen. Bit of a shame it's taken him this long to kick on but I can see him being a late developer in international terms, possibly getting called up this campaign or next depending on how he does at the Dons.

I wasn't overly impressed when he played in the u21s, but he's looked pretty good this season.

Hanlon's had an excellent season and is the best centre back in the Championship by a mile, but as with the McKay discussion you have to remember it's the Championship. Being one of the best players in the second tier doesn't mean you should be ahead of bog-standard Premiership players.

Paul Hanlon has done nothing in his career to prove he's better than a decent top flight defender like Mark Reynolds, Barrie McKay has done nothing in his career to prove he's better than a decent top flight midfielder like Jamie Walker. You'd be laughed at for clamouring for Reynolds or Walker to get a call up, and the notion of Hanlon or McKay being ready to play for Scotland is more ridiculous.

Archived