Biggest Junior Clubs

Free Agent

Bo'ness were a Senior Club but folded in 1939. However, in 1945 they merged with Bo'ness Cadora to form Bo'ness United.

None of the others went direct from senior to junior either, has any club actually done so?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can just about remember in the early 80s reading up on the achievements of several clubs with Cambuslang and Peters hill being the 2 that stuck out.i think it was 5 wins and 6 respectively with irvine meadow beating lang in a final replay to stop them racking up a treble in the early 70s. These were the teams I wanted my team to (aspire)lol to.I am sure Bathgate beat us in a semi of the scottish about 84/85 as did Bo'ness. It was a hard apprenticeship back then before we made the final in 86.in the final we played Pollok,there was nobody bigger than them at that time having previously won it in 1985.

Edinburgh City were in SFL Division C when they went Junior in 1949. Not sure about the status of a whole load of ex-Division 3 clubs in the mid-1920s such as Vale of Leven, Royal Albert and Dumbarton Harp - perhaps they closed down and reformed to prevent the Junior club inheriting any debts.

Easthouses Lily MW and Girvan recently, and Peebles Rovers in the 1960s, were all non-SFL Senior clubs when they turned Junior.

I can just about remember in the early 80s reading up on the achievements of several clubs with Cambuslang and Peters hill being the 2 that stuck out.i think it was 5 wins and 6 respectively with irvine meadow beating lang in a final replay to stop them racking up a treble in the early 70s. These were the teams I wanted my team to (aspire)lol to.I am sure Bathgate beat us in a semi of the scottish about 84/85 as did Bo'ness. It was a hard apprenticeship back then before we made the final in 86.in the final we played Pollok,there was nobody bigger than them at that time having previously won it in 1985.

It was Ballieston who beat us. Andy Walker was playing for them. You are right about Bo'ness though, they thumped us.

It was a great night when we beat Kilbirnie to finally make the Final

It was Ballieston who beat us. Andy Walker was playing for them. You are right about Bo'ness though, they thumped us.

No it wasn't

An it was a worse night just over a year later thanks to John Mccool

Thanks for correcting me.I can always remember saying we will be .o.k. as long as we don't draw a team beginning with a B.....ha.tell me was that a semi at Summer set and we won 1 0 ?

Thanks for correcting me.I can always remember saying we will be .o.k. as long as we don't draw a team beginning with a B.....ha.tell me was that a semi at Summer set and we won 1 0 ?

Correct. Bobby Dickson broke his leg in the game. A little known fact is Pollok beat Cumnock in the other semi so we were very close to Talbot/ Cumnock Junior Cup Final

No it wasn't

An it was a worse night just over a year later thanks to John Mccool

Fair enough, i can see that from your point of view. I genuinely think if that Kilbirnie team hadn't broken up after the final Talbot wouldn't have won three in a row

Quote: Quite a few clubs have left the senior grade to play under the SJFA banner. (NAME THEM ?)

Bo'ness, Arthurlie, Clydebank, Vale of leven. Who else?

Could possibly debate that Dunipace were senior.They competed in the senior Scottish cup from 1877 until 1896 when they joined the Juniors.In 1883 they took part in the first Stirliingshire cup,a senior competition still played for,again until they joined the Juniors.

From what I remember Bo'ness beat Talbot 1-0, don't recall it being a thumping. Bailleiston did thump us, 4-1 after KP opened the scoring for Talbot. Andy Walker and Crawford Baptie played for an impressive Ballieston team. However, that night at a jam packed Somerset Park in 86 against an impressive Ladeside was electric, 1-0 victory gave Talbot their first Scottish Final in almost 40 years. The rest as they say...................

Fair enough, i can see that from your point of view. I genuinely think if that Kilbirnie team hadn't broken up after the final Talbot wouldn't have won three in a row

Totally agree. We were never really the same after 87 . Lyden & Pirie came to you shortly after followed by Mills . Rennie went to Glenafton no long after as well .

Correct. Bobby Dickson broke his leg in the game. A little known fact is Pollok beat Cumnock in the other semi so we were very close to Talbot/ Cumnock Junior Cup Final

Big Sam nearly pulled the net off the posts with a bullet header and the bot fans behind the goals almost took the roof off!

Totally agree. We were never really the same after 87 . Lyden & Pirie came to you shortly after followed by Mills . Rennie went to Glenafton no long after as well .

Ladeside had good teams in 86 and 87, I often wonder what would have happened had they won either or both of those games, would they then have built on it as Talbot did? Talbot signing Pirie, Lydon and Mills more or less sealed the rest of rthe eighties. Mills was the most gifted Junior player I have seen.

Ladeside had good teams in 86 and 87, I often wonder what would have happened had they won either or both of those games, would they then have built on it as Talbot did? Talbot signing Pirie, Lydon and Mills more or less sealed the rest of rthe eighties. Mills was the most gifted Junior player I have seen.

An he didn't even start the final in 87

Morton Milne led the line that day

Shows how good our team was back then

Quote: Quite a few clubs have left the senior grade to play under the SJFA banner. (NAME THEM ?)

Bo'ness, Arthurlie, Clydebank, Vale of leven. Who else?

The list of was Senior turned Junior is always one where it's all a matter of interpretation. Once upon a time, clubs would have a Senior section, a Junior section & an Amateur section (cynics would say as a bolthole for later resurrection if the Senior went belly up to escape indebtedness, but the simpler explanation was it was the best way to find new talent), and when the club collapsed, often it was the Junior or Amateur that acted as the phoenix for the next club of that name.

Arthurlie, Beith, Bo'ness United (merger of the Senior turned Junior Bo'ness with Cadora), Clydebank, Peebles Rovers, Royal Albert, Wishaw Thistle (renamed Wishaw Juniors in 1924) & Vale of Leven have the best case for direct lineage (& with more than a few tales of sleights-of-hand to get there).

Wishaw Thistle were members of the Scottish Federation in the 1891-92 season which was the unofficial Division 3 (or two depending on your viewpoint) to the "official" Scottish League. In that respect, Wishaw can claim to be the Stu Sutcliffe's of the Scottish national league set up - leaving before it became famous!

You can also add to the list Johnstone (defunct), Nithsdale Wanderers (defunct - current club no relation to the Crawick Holm mob), and Edinburgh City (Schrödinger's cat...)

I think this thread is verging on vanity!!! For me Beith are a big club because year on year they remain at the top with ages devoted helpers but with a good support!! How can anybody take Glenafton out this equation with all they have achieved, a proper club with proper people!! Talbot are an enigma at all grades of football in Scotland but it can only take them so far! No such thing as a big junior club in Scottish, UK or World football terms! Let's all be happy that we have a competitive grade of football with some history behind it!

To get in the real world though we must join the SPFL pyramid structure, and that's a financial and moral fact. Sorry if that upsets some.

I think this thread is verging on vanity!!! For me Beith are a big club because year on year they remain at the top with ages devoted helpers but with a good support!! How can anybody take Glenafton out this equation with all they have achieved, a proper club with proper people!! Talbot are an enigma at all grades of football in Scotland but it can only take them so far! No such thing as a big junior club in Scottish, UK or World football terms! Let's all be happy that we have a competitive grade of football with some history behind it!

To get in the real world though we must join the SPFL pyramid structure, and that's a financial and moral fact. Sorry if that upsets some.

Agree with some of your points and I think Beith are a great advert for the game.

Archived