Our Strongest XI

Marshmallo

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many people not understanding that we're really poor at retaining the ball in midfield.........and then playing two midfielders that are poor at keeping the ball. 

Our midfield two NEED to consist of: 

One Baller. 

Barry Bannan - our best. 

James Morrison 2nd best

Graham Dorrans 3rd best

and a grafter. 

Darren Fletcher - best

Scott Brown   2nd best

James McArthur 3rd best . 

Yet some team have a midfield duo of Fletcher and McArthur.   Utter madness. 

A lot of consistency with the above choices and don't feel i'd argue much.

McGregor/Gordon

Hutton Hanley Martin Robertson

Fletcher McArthur

Anya Snodgrass Ritchie

Griffiths/Fletcher

Subs: Bannan, Tierney, Berra, Brown, Morrison, McCormack, Phillips, Naismith etc.

I think Maloney is a spent force and Naismith seems to be somewhat going that way as well. Martin offers us precisely nothing, and despite his exploits in the Championship I can't see what he's offered in a Scotland shirt to continue his call ups.

What our team desperately needs is guile, tenacity and pace.  Therefore Anya and Ritchie are definite consideration with options such as Phillips also very helpful.

Would like to see the three Ryans getting call ups in the next 18 months.

So many people not understanding that we're really poor at retaining the ball in midfield.........and then playing two midfielders that are poor at keeping the ball.

One Baller.

Barry Bannan - our best.

James Morrison 2nd best

Graham Dorrans 3rd best

and a grafter.

Darren Fletcher - best

Scott Brown 2nd best

Yet some team have a midfield duo of Fletcher and McArthur. Utter madness.

I agree with the sentiment. Which is why Morrison should always start.

I also think you need a grafter/leader/dirty b*****d in there, Brown.

Fletcher and McArthur are a bit in the middle and don't really offer very much for me, people acting like they're world beaters ffs.

I reckon Oliver Burke might just be the player we've been waiting for. Probably just (drunken) spider sense, but he looks the part physically and has pace and technique albeit raw but he's only 18. Most of all, he looks quite chimpy... Could it be mere coincidence?

Well worth keeping an eye on.

Scott Brown looks finished. Has he not had a few serious hip injuries in the last 2-3 years? As well as off the field problems with family members?

Good on him for reaching the 50 cap mark though, at least he is proud to wear the dark blue and would run through a brick wall for the team, unlike some of the chancers we have capped in the previous 15 years.

Hope he regains his form when he was a dominant force, I still think back to that Macedonia game when half of their team wanted to strangle him  :lol: .

Scott Brown looks finished. Has he not had a few serious hip injuries in the last 2-3 years? As well as off the field problems with family members?

Good on him for reaching the 50 cap mark though, at least he is proud to wear the dark blue and would run through a brick wall for the team, unlike some of the chancers we have capped in the previous 15 years.

Hope he regains his form when he was a dominant force, I still think back to that Macedonia game when half of their team wanted to strangle him :lol: .

I'm not so sure Brown is finished, but I can see why people are saying that.

I just hope Strachan makes the right call with him, Maloney* etc and doesn't need a failed campaign to know it was time to move on

*Who I think is all but done and should be no more than a sub in the next qualifiers

One Baller.

Barry Bannan - our best.

James Morrison 2nd best

Graham Dorrans 3rd best

and a grafter.

Darren Fletcher - best

Scott Brown 2nd best

Yet some team have a midfield duo of Fletcher and McArthur. Utter madness.

I would like to see Bannan get a regular game tbh he's always looked decent for Scotland even when he wasn't getting a regular game at villa or crystal palace. I can't see Strachan having him in there as one of the 2 deep midfielders though, not good enough defensively

McCormmacks our best striker, which is a view I've held for a while. Hes the only one whos capable of closing down, linking play, and finishing chances. The others are all too one-dimensional. Neither Fletcher or Naismith are close to be clinical in front of goal, while Griffiths looks miles out his depth. Martin and Rhodes are too immobile for us too.

Marshall

Hutton - Martin - Hanley - Robertson

Fletcher - McArthur

Ritchie - Snodgrass - Anya

McCormack

I think there are two or three positions where you could say there's genuine competition in a positive sense.

In goals, like someone else said, I think Marshall is the weakest of the three. But you can make a case for any one of them. McGregor was outstanding against the Czechs though. Was it indicative that he got the nod in the tougher game?

Tierney looked good at left back if lacking in stamina. Robertson is still the go to guy.

Central defence we're struggling, but it's hard to argue with Martin and Hanley.

Hutton's our best right back. I think he (and Whittaker) get a lot of undue stick. Not much behind them other than moving Martin there.

Two midfielders are going to be Brown and Morrison if they are both fit. It wouldn't be my selection, necessarily, but clearly it's Chesney's choice.

Anya wide left, and Ritchie wide right. I really liked the brief look of Burke though. Could be a good one. Phillips I think is excellent, and he probably did his case more good than anyone other than Tierney and Shagger.

Snodgrass in the "10 role".

Fletcher up front. Naismith if he's playing better. Other than that we're struggling. The Thumb clearly doesn't have the nous for international football. Martin is a bit immobile for the tougher games, although with more support and the ball on the deck, I think he's decent. Thumping it long for him to run on to or win in the air with nobody to knock it down to doesn't help his cause much. It was not his fault Scotland were so shambolic second half.

McGregor

Hutton

R. Martin

Hanley

Robertson

Brown

Morrison

Ritchie

Snodgrass

Anya

S.Fletcher

Subs: Gordon, D. Fletcher, Burke, Phillips, Naismith, Whittaker, C.Martin, Tierney

S.

Christ it's depressing to see how weak our team is.

I think it's fairly competitive when you compare it to other pot 3/4 teams.

Assuming we'll be sticking with 4-2-3-1

Gordon

Hutton

Robertson

Martin

Hanley

Fletcher

Bannan

Snodgrass

Naismith

Anya

Fletcher

Depending on opponents maybe swap Bannan for a more defensively minded player & McCormack could replace Naismith depending on form.

Archived