Frightening where the tartan army think we stand at the moment

Guest DAVIDB69

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...regardless of the result.

Aye well if you've paid a lot of money on flights, accommodation and tickets, as well as using up holidays from work, it seems awful petty to let a football result ruin your time.

Of course the result is massively important to Scotland supporters, but to let it get in the way of real life is stupid.

I only get 28 days holidays a year, I'm no taking 4 days off, spending a load of money, and then acting like a miserable c**t after all that just because we've been beat.

No it doesn't. For instance, people drinking and having a good time at a funeral aren't happy their friend/ family member has died(well on the most part), we are just a nation of heavy drinkers.

I've been often enough to see it differently. The World Cups in Spain and Italy and a lot of Home Internationals. The attitude is entirely different from club football. I never got particularly annoyed by Scotland losing. I, and most others that I knew went for the general experience.

The Tartan Army having a party does not equal accepting failure. If Strachan fails to qualify for the World Cup he will be turned on. Levein should have got the sack after his first failure, there were barely any positives in his tenure. At least Strachan's team looks competitive, even if the results aren't great, I can see both sides of the argument in this case.

If we don't qualify for the World Cup, it will represent a lesser failure than that which Strachan has just overseen.

The only thing making it worse for him will be that it's a second one.

I've no problem with fans enjoying a holiday. I do however resent when drunkenness is behind the senseless praising of a failed manager, that actually has the effect of cementing him in position.

It will never be easier to qualify for a major tournament in the future than it was for Euro 2016. The top 2 qualified automatically and 3rd went into a playoff yet you could even qualify in 3rd if you had a good enough record. Gibraltar are a pub team, so poor they shouldn't even count (we were still bad enough to let them equalise against us, one of only 2 goals they scored) so we were effectively 4th in a 5 team group with, taking away the Gibraltar games, 2 wins in 8 games and 10 goals scored. We made a total pig's ear of it. What a chance there was to see history made with every home nation plus Ireland qualifying. Who was the one nation who couldn't get the job done?

Excellent post. The Euro's was expanded to let any team that could kick a ball in and we still couldn't manage it. Now we'll be sitting at home watching the likes of Northern Ireland, Albania, Wales and Iceland at a major tournament this summer.

It will never be easier to qualify for a major tournament in the future than it was for Euro 2016. The top 2 qualified automatically and 3rd went into a playoff yet you could even qualify in 3rd if you had a good enough record. Gibraltar are a pub team, so poor they shouldn't even count (we were still bad enough to let them equalise against us, one of only 2 goals they scored) so we were effectively 4th in a 5 team group with, taking away the Gibraltar games, 2 wins in 8 games and 10 goals scored. We made a total pig's ear of it. What a chance there was to see history made with every home nation plus Ireland qualifying. Who was the one nation who couldn't get the job done?

Good post.  That's exactly how the campaign should be viewed IMO.  Euro 2016 basically spread its cheeks to everyone and we ended up having a tug in the corner whilst every other home nation went to town on it.

It's poor to finish fourth in a four team group and it could have easily spelt the end for Strachan but it wasn't a penalty kick.

You're right, and it should've, hence the above posts.  

The above posts were suggesting it was easy, it wasn't. There was a slightly above 50% chance of us qualifying IMO.

3rd was the minimum expected in that group, with a view to challenging Poland for the 2nd automatic spot, we got no where near that.  I'd say it was far higher than 50%.

I would say there was around a 20% chance of qualifying automatically and a 60% chance of a play off with a 50% chance of qualifying through that. To qualify ahead of Poland who are a better side than us would be doing extremely well, especially considering Ireland would have the same goal. I said after the Poland game I wanted Strachan out, and I stand by that, but it's not as clear cut as Levein for me. I can understand the other side of the argument.

I'd agree that it's not entirely clear cut, but that's got a lot to do with the absence of obvious alternatives.

I'm not even screaming for Strachan's head, myself. There is a case to be made for continuity. On balance, I'd bin him, but I don't see the decision as a no-brainer.

The easy ride he's had from the press and especially from a simpering fan base however, really bugs me.

I can just about accept him keeping his job.

I can't accept us pleading with him to stay on though.

Our under 21s are bloody awful.  Car crash stuff against Northern Ireland at the moment.

That's just as indicative of "where we are" as the senior team's performance, in my view.

Yeah it's just one crap result after another with the U21s. Inconsistency is okay, but it's not even as if we're winning one then losing the next at the moment.

I'd say the senior squad at least has 'decent' form.

Yeah it's just one crap result after another with the U21s. Inconsistency is okay, but it's not even as if we're winning one then losing the next at the moment.

I'd say the senior squad at least has 'decent' form.

They aren't tall enough and don't run around much.

Guest DAVIDB69

Our under 21s are bloody awful. Car crash stuff against Northern Ireland at the moment.

That's just as indicative of "where we are" as the senior team's performance, in my view.

When was the last time a player progressed from the u21s to the senior team

As a member of the " Tartan Army "  i myself have no delusions on  how good we are. Failure to qualify for the easiest ever  Euros is our benchmark. We won't qualify for Russia IMO but it won't stop me from following the team with the eternal hope of something going right just once. I like Strachan  but it doesn't blind me to the fact he was largely responsible for our failure to get to France.We are what we are and we just have to live with that fact.

Our under 21s are bloody awful. Car crash stuff against Northern Ireland at the moment.

Managed by a dinosaur, much like the full squad.

Fair play to have two squads, we won both games and tried several new players.

Is it possible to play closed door or non ranked friendlies? Vogts had to try lots of players and it cost us in the rankings. In a way it stifles player progression and risk taking.

Archived