Frightening where the tartan army think we stand at the moment

Guest DAVIDB69

I have no idea who is available. But there are plenty who are. Are you truly saying that absolutely none of them would be able to do a better job?

Yes I am saying that.

Go and find a list of odds for the next Scotland manager and you'll see exactly why I'm saying that.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not convinced that Euro 2020 will be easier to reach. You have to finish top 2 in a qualifying group - or win your Nations League section then go on to win 2 rounds of single-match playoffs at a neutral venue.

I don't feel that is easier than Euro 2016 where you could finish top 2 - or best of the 3rd place - or finish 3rd and win a single playoff over 2 legs.

It has never been easier, but 2020 will offer another opportunity through the nations league, so to say it will "never be easier" is rubbish.  Much like the rest of the post really.  We only made a "pig's ear" of one game, and that cost us.  Prior to the Georgia game we had a very slim chance of topping the group.  Germany's complacency combined with Poland and Ireland's points against them made a tight group that we came out on the wrong side of. 

But aye, it's the Scottish way to just pick the worst part, isn't it?

I prefer not to dress it up. In the past when we needed top 2 in a group, we would finish 3rd. As I say Gibraltar don't count so we needed to finish 3rd out of 5 and finished 4th. If it had been Vogts, Burley or Levein who had been in charge they'd have been lambasted for it. It was yet another failure to add to every tournament we've failed to qualify for since 1998.

I prefer not to dress it up. In the past when we needed top 2 in a group, we would finish 3rd. As I say Gibraltar don't count so we needed to finish 3rd out of 5 and finished 4th. If it had been Vogts, Burley or Levein who had been in charge they'd have been lambasted for it. It was yet another failure to add to every tournament we've failed to qualify for since 1998.

Once more, spot on.

If the Scottish way is to be capable of some sort of dispassionate, measured assessment, then I'm glad I'm Scottish.

Unfortunately, the Scotland supporter way, seems rather different.

Had a look into this..

After Burleys sacking... The favourites, in order.

Levein

Souness

Jeffries (Jim )

Smith

Moyes

Strachan

McAllister

Dalglish

Collins ( John )

After Leveins sacking.

Strachan

McLeish

Joe Jordan

This is the calibre of guys that get touted for the job, the top Scottish managers in England just now will see themselves as being to young for it, along with Moyes, and I really doubt McInnes would want to step into international management at this stage of his career. I can't think of any other manager in Scotland that would have the credentials for the job or the desire for the job.

Other than that who can anyone actually think of? Who are all of these better managers available?

In an ideal world we"d go and snap up Mourinho or whoever but that's just not the way it is or has ever been when looking for a manager of Scotland's international team. I kind of hoped Fergie would want the gig after United but that's not happened either. Think that would've been perfect.

All of this, after Strachan done reasonably well for us in the last campaign anyway, minus Ireland and Georgia away.

I just don't understand why people seem to think there are better managers waiting in the wings to come in and improve us.

Once more, spot on.If the Scottish way is to be capable of some sort of dispassionate, measured assessment, then I'm glad I'm Scottish.Unfortunately, the Scotland supporter way, seems rather different.

Of course it was a failure. That's not why TSAC had a go at you by calling you boring though. Every Scotland fan knows it was a failure but can, as you say, look at it in a measured way, Georgia away done us. We weren't good enough, the fact Ireland and Poland unexpectedly got such good results against the Germans didn't help either.

That doesn't mean that people shouldn't be backing the team and the manager though at games and instead sitting sulking and demanding for his head.

All of this, after Strachan done reasonably well for us in the last campaign anyway, minus Ireland and Georgia away.

So we can't possibly do better than someone who performed "reasonably", so long as we ignore 25% of his meaningful matches?

Of course it was a failure. That's not why TSAC had a go at you by calling you boring though. Every Scotland fan knows it was a failure but can, as you say, look at it in a measured way, Georgia away done us. We weren't good enough, the fact Ireland and Poland unexpectedly got such good results against the Germans didn't help either.

That doesn't mean that people shouldn't be backing the team and the manager though at games and instead sitting sulking and demanding for his head.

Failure doesn't mean we shouldn't be backing the manager?

Is that what you're actually saying?

So we can't possibly do better than someone who performed "reasonably", so long as we ignore 25% of his meaningful matches?

Every result went the way expected, minus Georgia away. Even in Ireland we got a decent result, he made a mess of the first half by not playing Anya but changed that at half time and Forsyth should not have been playing either. We still took 4 points from 6 from them which everybody would've taken beforehand.

And who else would do better then? See the post above.

Failure to qualify means failure of the manager, WGS looks like he's learned nothing from the euro campaign as he will go with the same players who let him down. The fact everyone's saying it was only 1 game he fucked up in Georgia. Put that into context it was scotlands biggest game for years and he bottled it exactly the way I thought he would by setting up trying not to lose, I firmly believe if he set the team up as if we were playing Gibraltar all out attack we would have won the game.

He has no belief in the players at his disposal with his tactics and his comments in the press calling our players wee and not black Africans for this alone he should be replaced as he's breeding negativity

Failure to qualify means failure of the manager, WGS looks like he's learned nothing from the euro campaign as he will go with the same players who let him down. The fact everyone's saying it was only 1 game he fucked up in Georgia. Put that into context it was scotlands biggest game for years and he bottled it exactly the way I thought he would by setting up trying not to lose, I firmly believe if he set the team up as if we were playing Gibraltar all out attack we would have won the game. He has no belief in the players at his disposal with his tactics and his comments in the press calling our players wee and not black Africans for this alone he should be replaced as he's breeding negativity

Georgia are absolutely no mugs, they were close run in most games.

Not buying that.

Failure to qualify means failure of the manager, WGS looks like he's learned nothing from the euro campaign as he will go with the same players who let him down. The fact everyone's saying it was only 1 game he fucked up in Georgia. Put that into context it was scotlands biggest game for years and he bottled it exactly the way I thought he would by setting up trying not to lose, I firmly believe if he set the team up as if we were playing Gibraltar all out attack we would have won the game. He has no belief in the players at his disposal with his tactics and his comments in the press calling our players wee and not black Africans for this alone he should be replaced as he's breeding negativity

That's hugely revisionist.  The Georgia game wasn't Scotland's biggest game for years.  It ended up being with hindsight, but it's hardly fair to then lambast a manager for not treating it that way when it wasn't. 

He played for a point in Dublin, which was a good result at the time.  He then set up in a way that he thought would win the game agianst Georgia.  4 out of 5 times it probably would have, but on this occasion they got a goal and then defended wonderfully.  If he'd set out to play "all out attack" like you say, they would have still run into a wall of players and struggled to make it through.

Put it this way, had we got the expected nervy win, the Georgia game would have been nowhere near described as the most important game. 

Georgia away = A chunk of games.

:lol:

You left out two games initially, that's 25% of those at mattered. I'd describe that as a chunk.

I'd agree with your assessment of the others as "reasonable". Hardly a ringing endorsement of the manager, yet that's what he got in Faro.

That's hugely revisionist.  The Georgia game wasn't Scotland's biggest game for years.  It ended up being with hindsight, but it's hardly fair to then lambast a manager for not treating it that way when it wasn't. 

He played for a point in Dublin, which was a good result at the time.  He then set up in a way that he thought would win the game agianst Georgia.  4 out of 5 times it probably would have, but on this occasion they got a goal and then defended wonderfully.  If he'd set out to play "all out attack" like you say, they would have still run into a wall of players and struggled to make it through.

Put it this way, had we got the expected nervy win, the Georgia game would have been nowhere near described as the most important game.

Georgia did not " defend wonderfully" at all. There was absolutely no need.

Georgia did not " defend wonderfully" at all. There was absolutely no need.

Ok, wonderfully may be an exaggeration, but they were extremely well organised, and snuffed out any threat we had.  Ably abetted by the players in front of them being absolutely woeful of course, but it still takes that organisation to make sure there are no gaps.

You left out two games initially, that's 25% of those at mattered. I'd describe that as a chunk.I'd agree with your assessment of the others as "reasonable". Hardly a ringing endorsement of the manager, yet that's what he got in Faro.

And I then went on to explain how that was still a good result and that he changed it at half time.

I can understand criticism of Strachan, I think some people take it way to far though, we are Scotland after all, I don't understand people criticising the supporters that were SUPPORTING him and the team in Faro though. It's a no sense.

Archived