Early Season "Opt-out" games - keep or drop?

Early Season opt-out - Keep or drop?  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see that Celtic will once again be postponing a game so that they can play a meaningless (but lucrative) friendly in August. It's probably a minor thing but it's a classic example of rules being designed primarily with the OF in mind with no consideration for other clubs who will never get a hint of that type of game.

On the other hand, Aberdeen used it to clear some space in between Euro Qualifiers and probably took a financial hit to do so but maximised their chances of progression. 

Should we change the rules to continue to allow the latter (despite it not being the original intention of the rule change) but stop disrupting the league for the sake of friendlies?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for all three because I'm a bit of a dick.

ETA:

They shouldn't be allowed. Either start the season late enough to let the teams do what they want, or make the teams work around the league season, not the other way about.

It's the 2nd game IIRC - so whoever is lucky enough to be in that slot I guess (hint - it won't be an Old Firm Game).

Ah well, promotes the Scottish game i suppose.

Plus we get a shit ton of cash  :thumsup2

There should be no postponements at all. The league should always be paramount. It's the bread and butter of all clubs and match going fans who want to watch their club week after week.

However league football is obviously becoming an increasing nuisance for the FIFA and UEFA crooks and the elite clubs who obviously see it getting in the way of their self promotion and money gathering. European club football should always be a bonus for doing well, not the purpose of a league.

We've already got disruptive International breaks forced upon us and now a winter break. The SFA & SPFL adding to it with the Celtic Cash Cow break is just ridiculous. That's about two months of mainly unwanted breaks throughout a season. We need to get back to getting our priorities right and put the league above all.

Any club in the league offered the chance to take part in this would bite your hand off and postpone a game.

The main reason fans of other clubs don't think this is a good idea is that they know they will never be invited to take part so it's an easy option to have a dig at Celtic.

I think we possibly used it in the right way last season. Players had very little time off over the summer and a two week break probably allowed them to recharge batteries a bit.

McGinn (if as expected is involved for NI at the Euros) will see his season finish on 21st June. Our first Europa Lge qualifier is on 30th June.

Eta. That's only if NI don't get out of their group. If they do one of our most important players could miss a game in a UEFA sanctioned tournament because he's playing in a UEFA sanctioned tournament.

Further eta. Unless Celtic win the double and we finish 2nd or we win the league in which case we'll come in a fortnight later.

Any club in the league offered the chance to take part in this would bite your hand off and postpone a game.

The main reason fans of other clubs don't think this is a good idea is that they know they will never be invited to take part so it's an easy option to have a dig at Celtic.

If given the choice, I'd prefer to watch my team in a domestic league match against Partick Thistle instead of a meaningless friendly against Barcelona.

The simple answer would be; no c**t want to play them in front of one man and his dug.

Parkhead capacity ; 60,000.

Actual attendance : 13,000.

Dens Park capacity : 11,000

Actual attendance : 6,500.

Seat to punter ratio, you're empty shell of a ground loses out all ends up.

Celtic the victims again?  shocking

No postponements should be allowed.

It's the 2nd game IIRC - so whoever is lucky enough to be in that slot I guess (hint - it won't be an Old Firm Game).

Which raises an interesting question.

If Celtic win the league (which they clearly expect to: their 2 preceding ICC friendlies are on Saturdays after EL ties on preceding Thursdays), you would expect them to open with a home flag raiser on the first weekend...

However, this would usually mean being away the following weekend - which would mean them cancelling someone else's home game, not one of their own.

Alternatively, they could be given two home games in a row to begin the first two weekends, but that means someone else being given two aways in a row.

It's a preposterous situation but what else do you expect with a clown like Neil Doncaster in charge?

I hope Thistle exercise our right to organise a friendly when we're due to play Celtic. Pollok juniors at Newlandsfield would be a welcome break from the regular league season.

So we're all just jealous?

Even you're not that thick, surely.

Archived