Airdrie v Rovers

With everything else that's been going on, nobody's started a thread for this yet. So I will.

It's a big one, I reckon whoever loses can forget about fourth. We've not played well since the Cowdenbeath game, but I think the derby atmosphere makes form less of a factor. Lennon's already made a few changes to the lineup, and with Thompson being away he'll need to tinker some more. Lister and Prunty up front please! Really not sure what to expect, but I'll go 1-0 Airdrie.

What say ye?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really need to be getting three points here.  The team must be kicking themselves at only picking up four points from those games against the bottom three - we'd be a point clear in fourth if we'd beaten the Loons and Brechin.  Granted Brechin seem to be becoming one of the form teams in the division, it was still a bad result losing to them.

So, with Thompson away for international duty, I guess we'll go something like:

Parry

O'Neil  - Crighton - Lithgow - MacDonald

Cox - Faria - Fitzpatrick - Cadden

Prunty - Lister

That's assuming that O'Neil has displaced Ferguson at right back.

However, I can see us going with something more like:

Parry

O'Neil - Crighton - Lithgow - MacDonald

Bain - Faria - Fitzpatrick 

Cox ----------------------- Cadden

Lister

After the January calamity - the turning point in our season - this is a game the Rovers need to win, especially for morale in the run in. If we lose, then pick up nothing in the next two games - Pars and Ayr - we truly are in the myre.

Danny Lennon the manager his choice of team selection maybe right maybe wrong, but what I will say is the guy has impressed me. The line up I would go with would shock people...... 1 Parry  2 ONeil 3 McDonald 4 Lithgow 5 Crighton then midfield of 5.... faria, Stewart ,Thomson ,  Jacob leighton then one up front young striker Thomson. Bench I would have Lister Prunty Bain ferguson, ferguson.... I am huge fan of Jimmy Lister but recently he has looked of the pace and i think playing 3 games in short space time and not long back from injury lay off is the reason. I would start Thomson as he showed in freindly game he is lively and in that game he actually looked more of a threat than Prunty.

Danny Lennon the manager his choice of team selection maybe right maybe wrong, but what I will say is the guy has impressed me. The line up I would go with would shock people...... 1 Parry  2 ONeil 3 McDonald 4 Lithgow 5 Crighton then midfield of 5.... faria, Stewart ,Thomson ,  Jacob leighton then one up front young striker Thomson. Bench I would have Lister Prunty Bain ferguson, ferguson.... I am huge fan of Jimmy Lister but recently he has looked of the pace and i think playing 3 games in short space time and not long back from injury lay off is the reason. I would start Thomson as he showed in freindly game he is lively and in that game he actually looked more of a threat than Prunty.

1. Thomson (Rangers) is off on international duty.

2. You're a mentalist.

Danny Lennon the manager his choice of team selection maybe right maybe wrong, but what I will say is the guy has impressed me. The line up I would go with would shock people...... 1 Parry 2 ONeil 3 McDonald 4 Lithgow 5 Crighton then midfield of 5.... faria, Stewart ,Thomson , Jacob leighton then one up front young striker Thomson. Bench I would have Lister Prunty Bain ferguson, ferguson.... I am huge fan of Jimmy Lister but recently he has looked of the pace and i think playing 3 games in short space time and not long back from injury lay off is the reason. I would start Thomson as he showed in freindly game he is lively and in that game he actually looked more of a threat than Prunty.

Lister must play every game (when available). Not even up for debate surely?! We are absolutely toothless without him. He could be 45 and still be one of the better players in that squad.

How do Airdrie feel about Albion Rovers and vice versa is it a rivalry or do you not care about each other?

Don't really care. Up until recently they've always been insignificant neighbours that some Airdrie fans would probably like to see do well. Folk think there is a big rivalry because of the Airdrie/Coatbridge thing but Albion rovers fans, the genuine ones, are generally decent folk and unlike your typical Coatbridge inhabitant.

Airdrie fans would see their main Derby rivals as Motherwell.

Don't really care. Up until recently they've always been insignificant neighbours that some Airdrie fans would probably like to see do well. Folk think there is a big rivalry because of the Airdrie/Coatbridge thing but Albion rovers fans, the genuine ones, are generally decent folk and unlike your typical Coatbridge inhabitant.

Agree with this.

The Rovers derby matches this season though have taken a much bigger significance among Airdrie fans as there is a real danger of finishing below Rovers. Bearing in mind that they've been the dictionary definition of shite for the last 50 years, that would be embarrassing.

I know one or two Rovers fans and they're decent folk who, despite the utter shite they've put up with, are still committed to their team.

That said, if you read the Rovers forum, that respect is definitely a one way street!

How do Airdrie feel about Albion Rovers and vice versa is it a rivalry or do you not care about each other?

Until very recently we were two leagues apart, and the Rovers could only but look up and admire our superiors. Old timers (not me) will remember Rovers and Airdrie being kept from playing at home on the same day, so locals were able to support both.

As such, it's hardly a fierce rivalry - although the games are always well-attended and often quite tasty. A Summer cup game a few years ago was used as a proxy battleground for a handful of Old Firm fans - that's the only time I can remember it going beyond postcode chants and John Gemmell badge-kissing.

Until very recently we were two leagues apart, and the Rovers could only but look up and admire our superiors. Old timers (not me) will remember Rovers and Airdrie being kept from playing at home on the same day, so locals were able to support both.

As such, it's hardly a fierce rivalry - although the games are always well-attended and often quite tasty. A Summer cup game a few years ago was used as a proxy battleground for a handful of Old Firm fans - that's the only time I can remember it going beyond postcode chants and John Gemmell badge-kissing.

Cheers Guys

Good to hear from both sets of supporters, always thought it was kind of a rivalry as I've heard Coatbridge and Airdrie hate each other as towns.

Cheers Guys

Good to hear from both sets of supporters, always thought it was kind of a rivalry as I've heard Coatbridge and Airdrie hate each other as towns.

Regardless of the relative merits of the two football teams (very little between us and Rovers it would seem just now), the town of Coatbridge is a bitter, sectarian ghetto.

As someone else has stated, Rovers fans are generally the best of the folk from Coatbridge.  They deserve massive credit for supporting their local team.

Isn't Airdrie the same as Coatbridge in the sectarian ghetto side of things, more because of old firm fans than the two local sides though. Who do Albion Rovers hate the most if Airdrie hate Motherwell.

Archived