St Mirren v Sevco 2012 at The Paisley 1690 Stadium 1/5/16

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the problem with making a bit of money off Rangers, for what could be the last time for a good few years? This is the last big payday we will get in the Championship - I do not see any problem with it.

I'd argue that many other teams in Scotland do it for Rangers & Celtic and they even budge their own fans when Rangers go to Celtic and vice versa. Saints don't have a lot of money so any way in which they can make an extra bit of cash should be taken. It's one game and I doubt that all those season ticket holders would have attended the match in the first place given that it is the last game of the season and it is against Rangers.

It is not bending over for anyone, it is a business decision to take advantage of the mutants that follow Rangers. That is the validation for such a decision. Charge them £30 while we are it.

What is the problem with making a bit of money off Rangers, for what could be the last time for a good few years? This is the last big payday we will get in the Championship - I do not see any problem with it.

I'd argue that many other teams in Scotland do it for Rangers & Celtic and they even budge their own fans when Rangers go to Celtic and vice versa. Saints don't have a lot of money so any way in which they can make an extra bit of cash should be taken. It's one game and I doubt that all those season ticket holders would have attended the match in the first place given that it is the last game of the season and it is against Rangers.

It is not bending over for anyone, it is a business decision to take advantage of the mutants that follow Rangers. That is the validation for such a decision. Charge them £30 while we are it.

it is bending over, and pandering to the opposition

why don't you all wear union jack face-paint as well and join in the party?

may as well, your club invited them for it

We didn't get anything like the huge gates against Sevco which we got in the dark days of letting anyone buy tickets for anywhere. I was quite happy to see a half empty Cowshed which contained only home fans.

St. Mirren fans are quite right to be seething about this.

A necessary evil I'm afraid. It's unfortunate that those with season tickets are going to be moved, but money is tight at the club, the fans wan't the club to be successful, and we need money for that. The money from this one game could mean another player in the squad for next season. The family stand usually lies near empty (understandably) when Rangers or Celtic come. It's an easy move for the club to bring in some much needed cash.

If we get 1500 extra people through the gate, at £20 a go, that's £30k. How many Player of the Year dinners, hospitality packages, or airport parking spaces would need to be sold to raise that?

A necessary evil I'm afraid. It's unfortunate that those with season tickets are going to be moved, but money is tight at the club, the fans wan't the club to be successful, and we need money for that. The money from this one game could mean another player in the squad for next season. The family stand usually lies near empty (understandably) when Rangers or Celtic come. It's an easy move for the club to bring in some much needed cash.

If we get 1500 extra people through the gate, at £20 a go, that's £30k. How many Player of the Year dinners, hospitality packages, or airport parking spaces would need to be sold to raise that?

take the vat and extra police/stewards off your 30k and what are you left with?

another season of alan gow.

take the vat and extra police/stewards off your 30k and what are you left with?

another season of alan gow.

And the possibility of season ticket holders not renewing because of this. Would only take 100 folk or so not paying £250 to wipe that profit out.

Big risk for little reward from the board.

I'd be livid if I and my kids were to be papped out of our season-ticket seats to allow them to be sold to other fans for the day. And even if I sat in another part of the ground I'd hate to be there on that day with far more of the most loathsome "fans" in Scotland there than there should ever be. ESPECIALLY if MY team (the "home" team, remember) is still potentially involved in the playoffs at either end - which is still a possibility.

I probably wouldn't go to that game, and the bad taste left behind over how the fans were treated would linger for a long time. I wonder how many season tickets won't be bought for next term because of this, or how many folk who pick and choose their games won't pick so many after this?

However, that's how we fans look at things - we pay our money and go to the games and feel free to comment on what happens on and off the pitch without too much thought for the most part about what goes on behind the scenes and how hard it can be to try to keep a decent team on the park as well as pay the bills (always assuming you support a team that tries to pay the bills, of course). There's a good reader comment on the article on the "Herald" website about this which might give some St Mirren fans, and others, a little bit of pause for thought, especially the second-last sentence:

"With respect, it's easy for us fans to take the moral high ground on this, but club directors have to live in the real world.
The St. Mirren board didn't want this situation. They're trying to do what they think is best for their club in difficult circumstances. Lots of other boards at lots of other clubs are doing their best as well. It isn't always easy. In fact, it's rarely easy. Posting comments is easy.
I think we should acknowledge that."

I'd hate to see this happening often, and I'd hate to see my club do it. But sentiments don't pay the bills.

The winner in all of this is without question Alex Rae.

He gets more money in his playing budget next season AND a party!.... :)

Edit: If it's any consolation many Rangers fans would've ended up with tickets in the home end anyway. At least now they'll be in their own stand.

Should cut down on a large number of bears being in the home end, if the bears travel in numbers stboo get a no bad payday.

On the other side of the coin the mirren fans face being outnumbered in the Bernaboo and their fans may feel that the club should have copied Motherwell or hibs and kept the away numbers low.

A necessary evil I'm afraid. It's unfortunate that those with season tickets are going to be moved, but money is tight at the club, the fans wan't the club to be successful, and we need money for that. The money from this one game could mean another player in the squad for next season. The family stand usually lies near empty (understandably) when Rangers or Celtic come. It's an easy move for the club to bring in some much needed cash.

Why don't St Mirren just sell tickets for the family Stand to the home support and fill it up that way?

Should cut down on a large number of bears being in the home end, if the bears travel in numbers stboo get a no bad payday.

On the other side of the coin the mirren fans face being outnumbered in the Bernaboo and their fans may feel that the club should have copied Motherwell or hibs and kept the away numbers low.

I'm not against teams giving away sides more seats btw. But shifting people from seats that they've paid for just doesn't sit well with me at all.

Numbers and stuff is irrelevant to me. Personally I like when teams hand out the bare minimum to teams, but get why they don't.

Why don't St Mirren just sell tickets for the family Stand to the home support and fill it up that way?

Because our fans don't turn up for games against the Old Firm. There are 200 ST holders in the family stand and a few of them don't go to the OF games at home according to our chairman. Rangers fans would have bought tickets for the home end anyway so I can see that side of the arguement.

The way it has been handled has annoyed the fans more. We have SMISA and a Fans Council and neither were informed about this or consulted about the matter.

Just last week we got over 3800 for a game against QotS, lots of free tickets and a special ticket offer by Tony Fitzpatrick made it a great success. The away stand was full of young fans and potential season ticket owners. Less than a week later the board shoot themselves in the foot and all the goodwill and positive energy has turned to shit.

I've never seen our forum to a man/woman/child agree on anything until now.

Great thread title :thumsup2 :thumsup2

Dropping your drawers & bending over to accommodate the bigot brothers again & just when we thought you couldn't get any lower than the Celtic embarrassment you exceed expectations again , keep up the good work !

Archived