Strikers Past and Present.

Is there a possibility that we need to go back to the way centre forwards/strikers used to play. To summarise strikers used to play mostly in the box and their responsibility was to score goals however now we are asking them to be an all round player. To clarify we are expecting them to close down the opposition, defend at set plays against, link up play, play out wide. take corners etc etc Rather than spending more energy and time being an out and out goal scorer! Griffiths was told he had to improve his all round play to get a regular start at Celtic/ Scotland and to a point I agree with that. Griffiths was like Cummings is now. Always going central to left therefore reducing his efforts on goals and making it easier for defenders to read However he admits himself he has now practiced going central to right and his right foot efforts are paying dividends. Griffiths main asset is his finishing. So why don't we let other players do more of the other things which hopefully would let strikers have more time to have more efforts on goals. I feel this would increase shots on target and goals. As chances are falling to players who are not 'finishers'. Do we need to get back to the days of Hately, McCoist, Hutton, Hartson, John Robertson, Joe Jordan etc? ( I would of course expect strikers to play some part of the team play and not stand with his hands on his hips! )

Myview :lol:

What spurred me to write that was after watching Stokes and Cummings last night. Hibs failed to score in a match that they really had to win but didn't really look like scoring against the 2nd bottom team. Stokes mostly on the left and Cummings mostly on the right. Rarely central in the box.

What spurred me to write that was after watching Stokes and Cummings last night. Hibs failed to score in a match that they really had to win but didn't really look like scoring against the 2nd bottom team. Stokes mostly on the left and Cummings mostly on the right. Rarely central in the box.

Most of Cummings goals come from inside the box.

The whole team were shite against Livi, it happens.

Yes but most strikers goals come from inside the box. We are talking about increasing the opportunity and therefore scoring more goals and winning more important matches like last nights.

I don't agree the whole team were. Hibs defensively did well. I genuinely believe Hibs last night needed an out and out striker. As Rangers did a couple of hours before.

At the end of the day the standard of striker being produced these days is a far cry from the dalgleishs, jordans etc. Leigh griffiths is scoring for fun up here but he was a championship player down south at best.

Players improve, Leigh Griffiths is clearly a better player now than when he went down south.

It's not about players not being as good nowadays. It's the complete opposite. Even at a relatively poor level, players are fitter and better organised than in Joe Jordan's day.

Attacking teams have to be more fluid and mobile than in years gone by. If Leigh Griffiths stood about waiting for chances, he'd barely touch the ball.

At the end of the day the standard of striker being produced these days is a far cry from the dalgleishs, jordans etc. Leigh griffiths is scoring for fun up here but he was a championship player down south at best.

Agreed we know that. My point is the ones we have playing now are asked to do far more outside the box therefore decreasing their opportunity to score.

That was several seasons ago. Griffiths has matured and is a stronger better player. As said before is now much stronger on his right.

Players improve, Leigh Griffiths is clearly a better player now than when he went down south.

Agreed. I feel Cummings is similar to Griffiths when he was young. Griffiths should have a quiet word! Griffiths imo is an outstanding finisher when the occasion arises.

It's not about players not being as good nowadays. It's the complete opposite. Even at a relatively poor level, players are fitter and better organised than in Joe Jordan's day.

Attacking teams have to be more fluid and mobile than in years gone by. If Leigh Griffiths stood about waiting for chances, he'd barely touch the ball.

Agreed a flat back four is a far better organised defence than the old fashioned centre half and sweeper. Defenders are definitely faster. I'm definitely not saying stand about waiting for chances. It becomes apparent frequently that the 'striker' is not in the box as frequent than before. Stokes and Cummings last night was a great example.

Aye he might get a game for a team in the top half of the championship now. He certainly wont be gracing the field for any of the top english clubs like the likes of dalgleish , jordan , archibald etc did in years gone by. I wonder if we'll ever produce another striker able to challenge at the top of the english premiership scoring charts.

Let's not get drawn into a debate about Griffiths ability. It's a discussion about a striker's role now to increase their chances on goals which would increase goals scored for the team and fans. This is not in hindsight but I firmly believe if Stokes and Cummings played closer together and more centrally last night Hibs would have scored and won a very very important match.

Let's not get drawn into a debate about Griffiths ability. It's a discussion about a striker's role now to increase their chances on goals which would increase goals scored for the team and fans. This is not in hindsight but I firmly believe if Stokes and Cummings played closer together and more centrally last night Hibs would have scored and won a very very important match.

This is only one match you are taking about, our strikers usually link up with each other very well. Even in the box!

We played poor and hardly created anything, strikers drop deep our pull out wide when this happens to get involved in the game.

Most Hibs fan will tell you Cummings is a poacher type striker so to be honest it's a terrible example you are using.

Could the fact that real wide players are few and far between these days have something to do with it? Lot of teams play the diamond which results in strikers having to pull wide to get the ball. I certainly see that with us where baird ends up everywhere apart from the 6 yard box where he should be.

This is only one match you are taking about, our strikers usually link up with each other very well. Even in the box!

We played poor and hardly created anything, strikers drop deep our pull out wide when this happens to get involved in the game.

Most Hibs fan will tell you Cummings is a poacher type striker so to be honest it's a terrible example you are using.

I did not see that v Hearts or Livi. They played far to far apart to link in.

Added to that against Falkirk Cummings played a fair amount wide right and did not look dangerous however when he did venture into the box he looked extremely dangerous. That's my point. Sorry Cummings is not a poacher he has more to his game than that.

Could the fact that real wide players are few and far between these days have something to do with it? Lot of teams play the diamond which results in strikers having to pull wide to get the ball. I certainly see that with us where baird ends up everywhere apart from the 6 yard box where he should be.

Yes a good point regarding the diamond shape in midfield. If full backs don't get forward you are absolutely right that does/can happen. You have agreed with me that Baird can at times/frequently ( you decide) is not central in the box to score and he has that ability!

Archived