Scottish Cup Holders v Doric Upstarts

Monday night games aren't great but it'll allow both teams to know what they need to do to stay in touch with the teams around them. If County repeat their league cup win over Celtic in the Premiership Aberdeen could go top of the table with a point whereas ICT will be keeping an eye on Friday nights Tayside derby, with a view to overtaking either (or optimistically both) St Johnstone or Dundee.

For Caley I think we'll see a similar XI to the one that played Well in the cup. The main talking point will be Jordan Roberts, who obviously scored a stunning winner off the bench and looked lively while he was on the pitch. I wouldn't mind seeing him thrown in, he gives us a different, unpredictable and positive option. Vigurs was poor in the cup game I thought, too passive and slowing things down. He's clearly a good footballer and strikes the ball as well as anyone in our squad, aside from Tansey.

Also, if Miles Storey could stop trying to round the keeper in one-on-ones it'd be pleasing.

What do the Aberdeen fans think ahead of this game?

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have honestly no idea how this is going to pan out. But like the Fermer's game, I'm more nervous than Nervous Norvus.

Would happily take a 1 goal shitfest to the Dons.

For clarity, ken?

I have honestly no idea how this is going to pan out. But like the Fermer's game, I'm more nervous than Nervous Norvus.

Would happily take a 1 goal shitfest.

I would take 13 1 goal shitfests from until the end of the season.

...for the dons

How do people think we'll line up for this one? McGinn, Storie and Reynolds were all benched against St Johnstone. I'd like Storie back at least, got hit loads on the break vs Caley at Pittodrie until we decided to show up.

Hope we win and Kenny Cameron is left a seething, dribbling mess.

Never overly confident about games in Inverness.

I've been there to see us three times and we've got beat everytime.

Not going on Monday, thankfully

Our 2 - 1 win over the Dons earlier this season was possibly the best I have seen ICT play under John Hughes. Sadly without Ryan Christie we have generally looked toothless in an attacking sense a lot of the time although, with his superb goal against Motherwell on Saturday, I'm hoping Jordan Roberts will start to get going now. He won't replace Christie obviously but he at least gives us some kind of attacking option rather than 'send the ball in the vague direction of Storey'.

Realistically I can't see us getting much from this especially if Aberdeen score first. Our record from coming from behind is pretty poor overall. If we take the lead though we will likely defend ridiculously deep and concede a late, late goal to draw.

Unbelievably, the referee for this one is Willie Collum :lol: Glad I'm not going to make it now.

Caley are in the bunch with Saints, County and Dundee as pretty inconsistent but on their day can be dynamite. Several players in that team who can cause damage (Tansey, Storey, Vigurs) and defensively capable as well (Raven, Warren, Meekings, Draper).

Hopefully the extra couple of days will freshen up the team with it being a Monday. I'd like to see Storie back into the midfield and Church and Rooney kept together up top. Basically the Celtic team again. It gives us options to spread out to a 4-5-1 and have Rooney wide to hit balls to or a 4-4-2 with a narrower strike partnership. If we're losing the midfield battle we can stick Shinnie in there, shift Hayes to LB and move McLean out wide. Horses for courses.

This fixture always provokes fond memories from our first 4-3 away victory over Caley Thistle. Great scenes following Chris Maguire scoring the winner deep into stoppage time. I think I remember Russell Duncan being sent off at half-time. I didn't realise that we were playing with one man more until the last five minutes, but I don't know whether that says more about my observational skills or our second half performance. I can also recall a bit of a comedy own goal from Dave Bus.

Last time I saw Aberdeen play in Inverness, Hayes and Rooney scored the only goals of the game. I would accept that outcome again.

Archived