Scottish journalists

Fide

I'm getting a wee bit sick and tired of their faux-affrontery, double standards, wagon circling, demonisation of nats and all round shoddy journalism.

I don't think anyone would argue that there is an imbalance in the Scottish MSM at present. Spannergate has simply crystallised what has been going on since the referendum. Nat abuse = the devils work, britnat abuse = ironic humour.

Alan Cochrane, Davie Clegg, Michael White, Stephen Daisley, Alan Roden, Torcuil Crichron, Tom Gordon, Euan McColm and Brian Wilson are just a few of the many, many offenders.

The sooner the newspapers implode, the better.

I think it is beyond doubt that the implosion has already started

https://www.nuj.org.uk/news/carnage-for-members-across-scotland/

Whilst your point is valid to a degree there are may journalists out there that are good at their job and we do need a press in some way shape or form.

Yes the bloggers have a part to play in all of this (Anthoy C. Pick excepted), but writing a blog won't pay the bills, and my guess is most of them do it to get noticed by the big titles, where they will start to toe the newspaper's editorial stance.

A free press is essential in any democracy and I would hate to see it disappear entirely, but as you say it is undeniable there is an imbalance currently, but what annoys me more than anything else is that too many want "SNP Bad" replaced with "SNP Good"

What is required is someone with the balls to start reporting objectively. Unfortunately we live in a Scotland where when someone does, and it isn't to one camps liking, it is met with scepticism and inevitably leads to internet bampots taking to their keyboards.

I want facts and the truth and fairness from any title. Perhaps my view is a little utopian, and I do know their will always be reporting that is slanted to one side or the other, but that doesn't stop that title telling the facts or reporting in a way that is fair to both sides, rather than publishing outright lies or reporting misleading statistics.

And then there is the BBC...

I think it is beyond doubt that the implosion has already started

https://www.nuj.org.uk/news/carnage-for-members-across-scotland/

Whilst your point is valid to a degree there are may journalists out there that are good at their job and we do need a press in some way shape or form.

Yes the bloggers have a part to play in all of this (Anthoy C. Pick excepted), but writing a blog won't pay the bills, and my guess is most of them do it to get noticed by the big titles, where they will start to toe the newspaper's editorial stance.

A free press is essential in any democracy and I would hate to see it disappear entirely, but as you say it is undeniable there is an imbalance currently, but what annoys me more than anything else is that too many want "SNP Bad" replaced with "SNP Good"

What is required is someone with the balls to start reporting objectively. Unfortunately we live in a Scotland where when someone does, and it isn't to one camps liking, it is met with scepticism and inevitably leads to internet bampots taking to their keyboards.

I want facts and the truth and fairness from any title. Perhaps my view is a little utopian, and I do know their will always be reporting that is slanted to one side or the other, but that doesn't stop that title telling the facts or reporting in a way that is fair to both sides, rather than publishing outright lies or reporting misleading statistics.

And then there is the BBC...

This is the crux of the matter. The papers have a political axe to grind and grind it they do. There is very little attempt at objectivity. The papers have filled their pages with #SNP bad stories. Fair enough if it is balanced, but many are not. The same papers are now complaining that Nationalist just shout #SNP bad. That we read our news elsewhere . Even once decent papers like the Herald are unreadable now. They only have themselves to blame for falling readerships. I did put a formal complaint in to the BBC over reporting of FMQ,s but it was fobbed of, with little attempt to actually address the issues I was raising. With papers we can stop buying them the BBC is harder to ignore.

I'm getting a wee bit sick and tired of their faux-affrontery, double standards, wagon circling, demonisation of nats and all round shoddy journalism.

I don't think anyone would argue that there is an imbalance in the Scottish MSM at present. Spannergate has simply crystallised what has been going on since the referendum. Nat abuse = the devils work, britnat abuse = ironic humour.

Alan Cochrane, Davie Clegg, Michael White, Stephen Daisley, Alan Roden, Torcuil Crichron, Tom Gordon, Euan McColm and Brian Wilson are just a few of the many, many offenders.

The sooner the newspapers implode, the better.

They know their market. Most people don't vote SNP or vote for independence. There's plenty of blogs as well as McPravda.

Take solace that newspaper circulation is falling.

What pisses off these journos is the fact they can no longer influence the electorate. Their arguments are also getting ripped up for arsepaper by bloggers such as Wings on social media and they can't handle it.

They have huge egos and have now arrogantly decided to troll with pseudo names like Brian Spanner in an effort to wind up the "Nats".

Print media in general is on the decline, whilst Wings, Bella, Newsnet etc enjoy huge digital readership. To many, particular the young voter, they get their information from social media.

In years gone by the biggest obstacle to independence was newspapers like the Record and the Scotsman. The best weapon us on the Yes side have is the internet. It's been a massive help for the independence movement; at last we have a voice that people listen too, and they like what they hear!

Maybe if they got back to actual journalism. Most political journalists in Scotland seem to be commentators rather than journalists.

The thing about political commentary is that most semi literate people with an eye on politics can do it.

Every used to have an opinion now everyone has a method of sharing it too so why would I need to know what Stephen Daisley or David Clegg think about the SNP (again).

Maybe if they got back to actual journalism. Most political journalists in Scotland seem to be commentators rather than journalists.

The thing about political commentary is that most semi literate people with an eye on politics can do it.

Every used to have an opinion now everyone has a method of sharing it too so why would I need to know what Stephen Daisley or David Clegg think about the SNP (again).

Weekly columnists are the worst. There's literally no reason why anyone should and could comment on the big issues every week to a deadline.

Back in the day there wasn't a Scottish daily that supported Labour.

The Daily Record started supporting SLAB at the 1964 election, before that they told readers to vote Unionist.

That's the weirdest thing. The Tories control the press, yet Slab *love* the press.

SLAB love the press now but it only took them about 60 years to get some of them on side.

Alex Salmond and his succulent lamb were enough to convince Murdoch. Then again Scottish labour were/are probably too incompetent to think of trying that

Archived