Daniel Bryan announces retirement

TheGreenMonster

ROH tweeting about it aswell so I'm pretty sure it's true. :(

Hopefully they let him have a proper retiring segment without Triple H coming along and spouting any of his B+ player shite, although sadly I can see that happening.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RJM77, on 08 Feb 2016 - 21:03, said:

ROH tweeting about it aswell so I'm pretty sure it's true. :(

Hopefully they let him have a proper retiring segment without Triple H coming along and spouting any of his B+ player shite, although sadly I can see that happening.

If it's legit, that blatantly won't happen, and will never happen to any babyface retiring ever.

With the contract thing, there's another scenario to consider. Daniel Bryan is fit, and wants to leave. He's inactive so his contract is stalled ( this does happen btw ). He has retired to allow the contract to tick down, and now he's going to chuck it when it runs out and return to wrestling outside of WWE.

So essentially, he's going from WWE, but he's not retired. That'd be my guess if this is all legit.

Dave Meltzer is saying that after being cleared by two doctors and being adamant about wanting to come Bryan then went for more tests in New York a few weeks ago that were different and much more detailed than the standard tests that are conducted and the belief is that the results from those have now finally convinced him that he has to retire.

Gutted to hear this. I stopped watching wrestling in 1999 after the I Quit match between the Rock and Mankind at the Royal Rumble and completely lost interest in it over time. But after the 2014 Royal Rumble, a couple of friends told me about Daniel Bryan and his storyline and said it was worth watching for that alone. I started taping Raw and became immersed with his struggles and got right back into it. When he won the title at WrestleMania it was incredible and probably the highlight of the last two years.

If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have spent so much on my annual leave taking Mondays off after PPVs. I wish him well.

Made the transition to WWE quite easily. Something a lot of guys haven't managed so well. True class acts will always make the jump well enough and he did. Still came across as one of the best, if not the best in the world. He's certainly a very good shout for the best wrestler of the 21st century, and outside of Japan, he's unmatched for me in that regard.

If this is happening, and it seems to be, he'll be a big miss.

If the docs have seen his brain is in poorer shape than he feels or first thought then it's unfortunately the absolute best decision to retire. I look at guys like Foley and the amount he undoubtedly suffers behind closed doors every day and feel sorry for him.

He had a better career than anyone would ever have imagined in WWE, even myself who was his biggest mark since day dot. He can look back on his career with no regrets at all.

As a fan my main regrets are that we'll never see some of the absolute masterclasses he'd have put on in a WWE ring with the likes of Owens, Zayn, Styles, Balor and Nakamura.

My other big regret is that they didn't pull the trigger with a full blown programme with Punk. They basically knew at the time that no-one was touching that in the company of they went through with it and restricted them to one PPV match.

Much as I'd love it to be a work, I think it's unlikely. Otherwise, every time a wrestler came out to announce his retirement, no-one would believe them.

If it was a work then it would've been exposed last night.

Can see him becoming an NXT trainer and maybe appearing as a manager for one of them.

I desperately wanted this to be a work, and tried to convince myself it was, while at the same time knowing that it was going to be true.

Then watched WWE's edited (for length) video on Youtube from RAW, and...well, that's that then. The thing about wrestling nowadays, with kayfabe being dead, is that when it does end up being real - Edge retiring, now this one - the impact is all the more. This was a guy who was brilliant in the ring. He wasn't the greatest talker, and if you're being critical, you could say he didn't have the charisma that the best in the business had. But he didn't need to. He was genuine, and probably one of the most genuine guys WWE has had recently. Watching behind the scenes stuff, like the WWE24 around WM30, showed that he wasn't really playing a character anymore, he was just playing himself.

Then it comes to him standing in the middle of the ring, hearing the crowd chant, and he looks like he's about to burst out greeting. When he said it was the thing he'd loved more than anything in the world, that's not just kissing the badge bullshit, you can tell he absolutely means it. Difficult to watch, on all counts, but handled very well.

There are a few things that seem odd about the whole thing though. He's been talking for months about how he's been cleared by personal doctors, and not just cleared, cleared with distinction. Saying that he finished high up on the list for brain health. Then yesterday he says that he took another test, and he wasn't as healthy as he thought. That to me seems like one of two things - one (cue conspiracy music) WWE have just not budged, and he's talking about this final test as a way of saving face for the company, so that the fans don't see him as being shelved. Or, more likely, and much sadder, he had either received tests that were severely lacking, or he was being a bit economical about the truth. Not in a malicious way, but in a way of someone who deep down knew he would have to wave goodbye to what he loved. So he went into denial, until these new tests showed him that he couldn't come back.

Gratitude was a good tone to set last night - he has had some wonderful moments in the company, and got a Wrestlemania moment that the vast majority of workers for the company will never do. He can leave hopefully with his health, which a lot of wrestlers down the years haven't been able to.

Guest bernardblack

Think that there may be a case to ban the Flying Headbutt?

Obviously not the cause for 100% of injuries/concussions but the list of people who have used that doesn't read back well.

Tamdunk, on 09 Feb 2016 - 13:06, said:

I always thought it was his missile dropkick that looked like a real headsmasher. Some retirement speech tho. What a guy.

Lots of people have done that move and been fine. A limited number of people have done the flying headbutt and almost all of them are fucked.

Archived