Alloa vs Rangers

I will be happy with any sort of win given some of the horror shows in Alloa of recent memory. As for the pitch, I would imagine that most of the Alloa players are just as unhappy about it as the players of other clubs. Fraser Wishart of Players Union asking for a review on use of plastic pitches in SPFL. Perhaps time up for the drastic plastic?

They're the future, and the quality will only improve as time goes on; we've had examples of players who aren't even at the club anymore who've been nonplussed by the fuss over our pitch. I think some of the older players like Wishart have had their views on artificial surfaces skewed by playing on the old Astroturf in the Eighties, which should never have been allowed, in fairness to them. It's no wonder teams like QPR and Luton had some of their best years during the Eighties and died on their arse soon after it was removed - that stuff was actually dangerous and bore no relation to playing on a natural surface, so they had a huge advantage when playing at home.

We can't win at home to save ourselves, however :P

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be happy with any sort of win given some of the horror shows in Alloa of recent memory.As for the pitch, I would imagine that most of the Alloa players are just as unhappy about it as the players of other clubs.Fraser Wishart of Players Union asking for a review on use of plastic pitches in SPFL. Perhaps time up for the drastic plastic?

Can't speak for players of course, but some of the pitches in Scotland are in a bad state at the moment- the likes of Pittodrie and Hampden look noticeably bad- my guess is that it's probably better than playing on these.

I didn't hear any complaints from Mark Warburton after the 5 1 win over us earlier in the season.

Can't speak for players of course, but some of the pitches in Scotland are in a bad state at the moment- the likes of Pittodrie and Hampden look noticeably bad- my guess is that it's probably better than playing on these.

I didn't hear any complaints from Mark Warburton after the 5 1 win over us earlier in the season.

Mark Warburton has mentioned plastic pitches and his surprise at their presence in professional football.

He has never singled out any club for criticism.

The point I made originally though was that I am sure that some of the Alloa players will not be over enamoured with the pitch.

It is just as poor for both teams.

The point I made originally though was that I am sure that some of the Alloa players will not be over enamoured with the pitch.

That's just as true for any pitch, other than those at the very highest level.

Even then, you'd probably get haddies like John Fashanu who would have preferred to play on bumpy, threadbare surfaces so defenders made more mistakes.

That's just as true for any pitch, other than those at the very highest level.

Even then, you'd probably get haddies like John Fashanu who would have preferred to play on bumpy, threadbare surfaces so defenders made more mistakes.

Of course that is true, however there are issues with artificial surfaces that concern people far more than the most threadbare and bumpy natural surface.

Of course that is true, however there are issues with artificial surfaces that concern people far more than the most threadbare and bumpy natural surface.

Yes, and again it is all complete bullshit. If a womens world cup can be played almost fully on an artificial pitch it can't be that bad. Similarly the injuries situation that is continually brought up doesn't wash by with me, you see the same injuries week in week out on grass pitches too but no fuss is brought up over them...

Yes, and again it is all complete bullshit. If a womens world cup can be played almost fully on an artificial pitch it can't be that bad. Similarly the injuries situation that is continually brought up doesn't wash by with me, you see the same injuries week in week out on grass pitches too but no fuss is brought up over them...

The telling thing is that it is the players themselves via their union who are raising concerns.

I understand that for some clubs the artificial pitch makes financial sense, I have no problem with Alloa making money out of pitch hire, but ultimately it will be the professional football players who will decide if plastic plays a part in professional football in Scotland.

The telling thing is that it is the players themselves via their union who are raising concerns.

I understand that for some clubs the artificial pitch makes financial sense, I have no problem with Alloa making money out of pitch hire, but ultimately it will be the professional football players who will decide if plastic plays a part in professional football in Scotland.

And so far they are split with players who are for it and players who are not...

Please try Yer best not ruin another one of our threads with your tedious shite please

You'll need to away and piss off fb.

Minding my own business I was, until a couple of Rangers fans bring me up and make petty wee digs.

I respond with one brief, characteristically good natured post and I'm getting told not to wreck a thread.

Even in your head, how does that work?

As it is, I've no plans to wade in.

I'm even letting Jake's Pal's utterly laughable nonsense about plastic pitches and how the players will decide their fate, pass without any comment.

Minding my own business I was, until a couple of Rangers fans bring me up and make petty wee digs.

I respond with one brief, characteristically good natured post and I'm getting told not to wreck a thread.

I'm even letting Jake's Pal's utterly laughable nonsense about plastic pitches and how the players will decide their fate, pass without any comment.

Ooooft

You were going to come on here regardless. You're a fucking crackpot mate.

The bounce at the Recs from a high ball can be awkward and it has some bobbles, like any pitch, grass or artificial.

I think the criticism is out of proportion, to the reality.

When Alloa under PH were going for promotions playing attacking, expansive football I never felt that the pitch hindered our ability to play to our optimum level.

Also you would think if push came to shove that the more talented the player, the greater their chance of dealing with difficult playing conditions.

Regards Rangers, Warburton seems to have taken a low key, let's get on with it approach. I believe this is a much more mature way of dealing with things and in great contrast to that that taken by McCoist, McCall, Law etc.

The problem with the pitch at Alloa is its time for a new astro to be put down as the current one is past it

my boy has played on Astro for past 10 years and the new 5g astro at Glasgow Green is a belter to play on

Other than the fact that it's not "astro" and there is no such thing as 5g, you're bang on.

All a bit tiresome at this stage. The new carpet will be welcomed but the pitch is nowhere near as bad as some suggest. As Alloa fans have frequently pointed out, there was very little talk about our pitch until Rangers struggled on it and McCoist blamed the park to try and cover up the fact that he was a terrible manager. Good footballers will have no bother on the surface.

Realistically it's hard to see past a Rangers win on Saturday but Alloa should be capable of doing much better than the previous game when our new team was far too cavalier.

McCoist never singled out Alloa. McCoist was complaining about artificial pitches back in the 4th tier of Scottish Football. Templeton was injured at Annan and McCoist blamed the pitch. I have no idea if the pitch played a part in Templetons as he seems to pick up an injury every second week.

Rangers have artificial pitches at Auchenowie yet McCoist never let the first team train on them prior to these games. An absolute dreadful manager.

That said the Alloa surface is pretty poor but will it be any worse than Starks Park was? You get poor artificial surfaces and some grass pitches that resemble ploughed fields. Just get on with it. Good players should be able to cope.

I can't see anything other than a reasonably comfortable Rangers win. Hopefully see a bit of MoH and Holt back from injury

McCoist never singled out Alloa. McCoist was complaining about artificial pitches back in the 4th tier of Scottish Football. Templeton was injured at Annan and McCoist blamed the pitch. I have no idea if the pitch played a part in Templetons as he seems to pick up an injury every second week.

Rangers have artificial pitches at Auchenowie yet McCoist never let the first team train on them prior to these games. An absolute dreadful manager.

That said the Alloa surface is pretty poor but will it be any worse than Starks Park was? You get poor artificial surfaces and some grass pitches that resemble ploughed fields. Just get on with it. Good players should be able to cope.

I can't see anything other than a reasonably comfortable Rangers win. Hopefully see a bit of MoH and Holt back from injury

That's it, no excuses at all, it's the same for both teams.

I'm sure Mr Warburton has had our players playing on the plastic pitches at auchenhowie.

Archived