Happy with your clubs business?

Stolen from the lower league forums, but a fairly simple idea.

How do you rate your incomings? Outgoings? Failed deals?

Do you think you're stronger, weaker, or much the same?

And are you satisfied or disgusted?

For me I think the outgoings were almost perfect. Can't remember all the youths who have left but agree with the releases of Rodger and Caddis, both of whom were never getting near our first team and just taking up squad space. Be interested to see where Caddis ends up. Big loss was obviously O'Halloran, but getting £500k for a player who it now seems was pushing for a move seems like decent business, especially considering his patchy form. Would maybe have liked to see Sutton leave aswell, although the lack of incomings maybe suggest its better to have him there just incase.

Incoming was only Danny Swanson, who resolves a left winger problem we've had since he left us at the end of last season. Certain media outlets reporting we missed out on deals for Stefan Scougall and Chris Maguire, which is actually quite promising targets, although its unknown how realistic they ever were. We're apparently aiming to sign at least one more, although that'll be a free agent.

As it stands its been a poor window, we've now very little cover and haven't replaced an important player meaning its hard to argue we've not gotten weaker. Obviously we've seemingly not finished so will just have to wait and see who else we can get in.

Delighted.

In all seriousness though, it seems as though the board and the manager have been pretty haphazard since Mixu's appointment (and now they don't know what to do). I give the directors credit for giving him money to spend but given that our results haven't helped us they are now probably panicking at the cost of relegation and have now probably mucked things up by realising they couldn't really afford to sign anyone else (and that very few players would actually want to to come to Tannadice given our situation).

I wasn't surprised at the lack of activity yesterday and there is still the blind fan optimism in me that the players we have might get us out of this but our strategy (do we have one?) now must be looking ahead to next season and building a side that can get us back up at the first attempt (that is, if we are relegated of course...).

Got rid of Locke, didn't lose any of our decent youngsters for next to nothing, brought in a right back whose played internationally and a centre midfielder, who according to Carlisle fans is quite good. So yeah, a good window for us.

A bit worried with the signing of Goodwillie. Not because I don't think he will do well for us, but a bit concerned about Curran's injury. The way we play works better with Curran in the team. He has been brilliant for us.

Paul Quinn coming back in is great. He started strongly at County, then had a nightmare run of games, and then turned that around and was superb in our run to safety last season. He has already been great in his one game so far.

Happy with the business, but a tad concerned for Curran.

Of course Goodwillie will be here for the Highland air and not the minimum wage McGregor pays out though.

We've signed two unknowns which is little surprise. We let go 6 players as far as I remember (three on loan and three released) too.

We needed a striker and a defender of some sorts whether it be RB, CB or LB and got a striker and a winger. It's good to get a striker but we'll have to wait and see if he's good enough. Same with the winger. We really missed by not getting a defender especially if we're continuing with 5 at the back.

We definitely needed an experienced head to lead the team. Our captain's a keeper who never shouts and we really don't have a leader in the whole team.

We needed a striker, we signed Alex Fisher. He then got injured in his second game

We also signed Ryan Williams and Liam Hughes both midfielders, we don't really need any midfielders.

Would have preferred us to sign another Striker and a centre half to give us some cover, on the plus side we got rid of Dani Lopez

We needed a striker, we signed Alex Fisher. He then got injured in his second game

We also signed Ryan Williams and Liam Hughes both midfielders, we don't really need any midfielders.

Would have preferred us to sign another Striker and a centre half to give us some cover, on the plus side we got rid of Dani Lopez

We desperately needed a wide player and a creative midfielder to play behind Storey. Doesn't sound like we have signed those types of midfielders but we'll see. We needed a striker as you say due to Fishers injury so that's a massive let down. One striker from now until the end of the season is quite concerning. We also kept tansey but f'ck knows what happened there :lol:

By far the biggest loss is Sow, who's been our most consistently good attacking player this season. He's probably the most talented striker we've had for about a decade but, if I was being hypercritical, I'd say he didn't get enough goals for a player of his ability. He has all the attributes to tear it up in this league IMO but he seemed to lack the killer instinct to score 20+. One possible silver lining is that this could allow Juanma to make a bigger contribution given the partnership with Sow amounted to something less than the sum of its parts and shoehorning Sow in on the wing was never ideal.

As much as I'm sad to see him go, I expected him to leave for free in the summer, so I'm delighted he buggered off to the other side of the world for £1.5m rather than signing a pre-contract with Rangers or some pish. It's a brilliant bit of business for us, expecially with him still being available for the Hibs game if needed.

The Souttar signing is low-risk at ~£150k and if he does end up fulfilling his potential we'll make a healthy profit and get a good player for a few years. If he doesn't, it's not a huge deal given how much we paid for him.

Don Cowie is a bit of a meh signing. The Don Cowie of a few years ago would have been a very decent signing and with us switching to a "lopsided" 4-4-2 recently he'd have been the ideal candidate to play on the right-hand side of midfield, a role I think he's got plenty of experience of at a decent level. As I recall, though, his game was mostly based around effort and energy rather than technique and, with him being 33 in a couple of weeks, I think the success of this signing depends entirely on whether he's still got the legs for it. Levein and Neilson must be pretty confident he does to give him a 2.5 year deal, which seems a bit bizarre on the face of it.

The most exciting signing is Dauda. His goalscoring record has been consistently good in the Swedish, Serbian and Dutch leagues and Neilson seemed very happy that we'd managed to get him. There's plenty of footage available of him on Youtube and he looks reasonably quick, he can score with his head or either foot, he can score shitey tap-ins or ping goals in from outside the box and he can set up goals for others. There's always an element of risk with signing foreign-based players but this seems like it could be a bit of a coup.

Whether it's been a good window in a purely footballing sense remains to be seen but it's hard to have too many complaints when we've possibly made a £1m+ profit while only losing one first choice player who had 6 months left on his deal.

tl;dr: I'm happy.

I think we're a good bit stronger but it really depends on how the players we brought in preform ie CKR and Roberts, I've seen Roberts a fair bit (about 4 games) and I really think the boy is special, CKR never seen him play but the first thing that came to my mind when I heard the name was shite - we'll see I guess.

Sviatchenko is a legit player though, him and Jozo will be a very good partnership.

Archived