Euro Referendum

Granny Danger

I know this has been covered on other threads but given its importance and likely imminence I thought I'd start this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35467479

Early reports and all that, but it looks like this falls well short of what Cameron himself promised. He will have one hell of a job selling it to any fence sitters as a victory and I think he will be torn apart by the Euro sceptics in his own party. I said previously he was taking a big gamble by taking a position that he was unlikely to succeed in achieving and now he has to convince the general public that this is a victory.

This is manna from heaven for any well organised opposition party. The whole issue has the potential to cause serious splits in Tory ranks and amongst Tory voters. The problem is that the SNP has just about topped out in support and Labour is probably to inward looking at present to capitalise south of the border.

It will also be a huge boost for UKIP whose perceived electoral irrelevance is masked by an unfair voting system. I can see them appealing even more to the little Englander voter, the only positive thing is that any momentum they gain will probably be lost by the time of the next General Election.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be interesting to see how it goes. I'm still unsure as to how I'll vote myself, but I'm finding the "In" camps claims as to how it'll supposedly threaten national security etc to be a bit ridiculous, and it reminds of similarly daft claims when the independence referendum was going on.

Cameron will perhaps get some concessions, but I agree he's unlikely to get anywhere near as much as he wants. His attitude makes him look like someone who wants to basically opt out of whatever he doesn't like in the EU...while being able to remain in it anyway. And it'll probably piss a few other countries off.

Cameron has absolutely fucked this.

He needs to go for a referendum asap before the pendulum swings further.

The electorate tend to be cautious so I would say it's a marginal win for IN.

Don't know what I'll do myself. Could well not bother voting, each result has its merits.

The funniest thing will be if the vote is too leave is the ukip spain division being told they are being deported back to blighty and the shitty bar they have spunked all there life savings on is no longer theres

The funniest thing will be if the vote is too leave is the ukip spain division being told they are being deported back to blighty and the shitty bar they have spunked all there life savings on is no longer theres

Yup. I'm sure the Spaniards will be absolutely delighted to see the back of British retirees that contribute to the economy over there, pay council tax, don't drain public services and don't take jobs from the locals.

Yup. I'm sure the Spaniards will be absolutely delighted to see the back of British retirees that contribute to the economy over there, pay council tax, don't drain public services and don't take jobs from the locals.

Do you know how hard it is to get a visa for the eu,let alone a working visa for non eu citizens?

Cameron has absolutely fucked this.

He needs to go for a referendum asap before the pendulum swings further.

The electorate tend to be cautious so I would say it's a marginal win for IN.

Don't know what I'll do myself. Could well not bother voting, each result has its merits.

I'm the same I don't have a clue, bored of it already.

I'm wanting whats best for Scotland, so in theory I hope we vote for the opposite of what the rest of the UK want thus helping us towards Independence.

The Tories (or Labour) in power with no European working directives to worry about I'd the only thing pushing me to vote stay in.

Same. I'd welcome a serious debate on Scotland's EU membership when Scotland is an EU member. As long as we're a region of a member, I'm not going to vote to strengthen Westminster and the extremist BritNats who would happily have the UK government dictate how often they masturbate.

I know this has been covered on other threads but given its importance and likely imminence I thought I'd start this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35467479

Early reports and all that, but it looks like this falls well short of what Cameron himself promised. He will have one hell of a job selling it to any fence sitters as a victory and I think he will be torn apart by the Euro sceptics in his own party. I said previously he was taking a big gamble by taking a position that he was unlikely to succeed in achieving and now he has to convince the general public that this is a victory.

This is manna from heaven for any well organised opposition party. The whole issue has the potential to cause serious splits in Tory ranks and amongst Tory voters. The problem is that the SNP has just about topped out in support and Labour is probably to inward looking at present to capitalise south of the border.

It will also be a huge boost for UKIP whose perceived electoral irrelevance is masked by an unfair voting system. I can see them appealing even more to the little Englander voter, the only positive thing is that any momentum they gain will probably be lost by the time of the next General Election.

The latest poll shows the 'remain' group leading at 54 % against 36% for 'leave'. When you consider that Theresa May has more or less decided to cross over then you know that the 'leave' group are in trouble because she is only concerned with her own political future and hasn't got a principle in her body. I would imagine a lot of Tories will do the same and look out for themselves and not the country. We now have the depressing prospect of watching Europhiles arguing that Cameron has been successful in the negotiations and trying to lie their way out of it. Depressing.

Luv it.

????

The phone polls have 'remain' leading by a huge margin with online polls showing mixed results with both sides managing to show a lead. Potentially another major minter for the pollsters.

That said, the leave campaign seem to be enjoying a good bout of in-fighting at the moment which would lead you to believe their own polls show that the phone polls are closer to the truth.

Archived