Partick Thistle vs Motherwell, Tuesday 2/2/16

Given that it's rained somewhere in Western Europe in the last 72 hours there's a good chance this will be off but I suppose we have to prepare in case it isn't.

First of the 3 postponed home games to get played if it does go ahead, probably need 4 points as a minimum.

Motherwell always look a decent team on paper but on the park performances have declined a bit after the new manager bounce, a repeat of the last time they rolled up to Firhill where they should have scored 90 seconds in then done nothing for the rest of the game would be lovely.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really sure it was so much a new manager bounce tbf. It took McGhee a while to settle on a 'best' XI and it was only after 5 games that we went on a decent run (coinciding with Hammell's return from long term injury and Lasley coming back into the team after picking up an injury in McGhee's 2nd game back at Aberdeen).

That's actually been the crux of our problem this season; when we've lost key players, specifically Lasley and/or Pearson, we've fallen apart. The shambles at Tynecastle saw McGhee trying to account for the loss of Lasley by completely and arguably unnecessarily overhauling the side playing a right back in centre mid, a left back at right back and ultimately undoing a lot of the good work he'd done over the weeks before. While the first half of the season under Baraclough we saw a fairly incompetent manager trying to scramble around to compensate for Pearson being out. The answer to that was most definitely not Jake Taylor.

When we've had our 5 'experienced' players (Hammell, McManus, Pearson, Lasley, McDonald) available on the park we've generally been able to compete (wins against ICT, Dundee, Celtic, St Johnstone; draws against Hearts, Accies, Dundee) however if we lose a couple of them we're less effective which is why it's pretty significant that we bring in a couple of decent options tomorrow seeing as we've trimmed away a few of Baraclough's panic buys and others who simply weren't getting any game time.

Either way defensively we're still weak and liable to ship a soft goal so if we're going to get anything out of this we'll need to score a couple as our last clean sheet away from home was vs Killie in October.

I'd imagine we'd stick with our usual team though I wouldn't be totally surprised if McGhee maybe thought about giving Fletcher and Ainsworth a start in place of Moult and Johnson. Though chances are he'd just start with his 'best' team and maybe make some changes earlier in the 2nd half.

Cadden's been a positive introduction to the midfield and though we're still finding our feet with him after the balance Grimshaw brought to the team he's already scored 1 goal more than Grimshaw managed in the same area of the park. Pearson has been chipping in with goals as well (6 in his last 8 or something) which is good since we were becoming overly reliant on both Moult & McDonald.

Ripley

Law Hall McManus Hammell

Cadden Lasley Pearson

Johnson

Moult McDonald

The game at Firhill at the end of last season was one of the most spectacular displays of bottle crashing that I've seen so it'd be nice not to watch a similar performance.

We really shouldn't be playing this tomorrow night as this week should be entirely devoted to preparing for the Scottish Cup match with ICT on Saturday. But playing we will be, unless the weather dictates otherwise and I reckon it will be another frustrating night for us as we either draw or lose narrowly.

2-1 Thistle.

Any good take away food options near the stadium

I went to Crosslands along Queen Margaret Drive during Oktoberfest after a match and thoroughly enjoyed my bratwurst out of there.

in the interest of full disclosure;

a) I was absolutely melted at the time

b) I have absolutely no idea if they still do food or if it was a one off for oktoberfest, I haven't been there since at least partially because we've had so many games called off

other than that I dunno. There's a McDonalds not too far away if that's your thing, plus a handful of the usual kebabz n' chipz places.

If you want to absorb the west end luvvie experience go to hug and pint on gt western road for vegan Asian food kimchee and jack fruit delights

GIRFUY

Do they do a kimchee and Jack fruit supper?

Archived