Does Ross county's win today not aspire you?

Parkgatequeens

valleyboy,you and your wee shitey team can hold your heads up high,darvel haters there are many,but true junior football fans will know the hard work thats went on at darvel in the past two or three seasons,enjoy the moment big guy,i put that photy o you in your pants up on the mantlepiece,it keeps the wains away fae the fire. :thumsup2

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As alluded to up the thread, Ross County live up to the name. I have a cousin who was at school way up the west coast and County would be in literally drumming up support with their community programme. They also cast the net wide to find local talent for their youth teams with some lads coming over from Lewis to play.

As alluded to up the thread, Ross County live up to the name. I have a cousin who was at school way up the west coast and County would be in literally drumming up support with their community programme. They also cast the net wide to find local talent for their youth teams with some lads coming over from Lewis to play.

How much money has the owner pumped in on top of that though?

Surely today's semi final victory today against Celtic makes you wonder. I know this has been done to death, but some of you must be wondering how far your club could go? Linlithgow, Clydebank, Cumnock, Oban and the like surely should be thinking about the bigger picture. There has to be a way that will work for everyone.

You cant compare juniors to that. Ross County are a top side. Yes they were underdogs but it's not exactly David v Goliath stuff. It was a game of football where the favourites didn't win. Happens all the time.

Well it's money he wouldn't have spent if they were still scudding along the bottom of the Highland League.

I believe that there are Junior clubs that could be a Brechin or a Stranraer, or a Dumbarton or an Alloa. Ross County are not really a replicable model because without their large sphere of influence, considering the size of Dingwall, they'd be little more than those clubs. They've always been well-backed in the top four divisions - in their first five years their average never strayed outwith 1300-2000 bracket.

The referee ruined the game and cost Celtic the match. It only inspires me to say the SFA are a shambles. Cost Celtic the treble once again by a ludicrous decision.

:lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

Irrespective, you can't argue with the balance that's been struck. And the others that have come in over time all seem to be progressing ok.

Well it's money he wouldn't have spent if they were still scudding along the bottom of the Highland League.

I believe that there are Junior clubs that could be a Brechin or a Stranraer, or a Dumbarton or an Alloa. Ross County are not really a replicable model because without their large sphere of influence, considering the size of Dingwall, they'd be little more than those clubs. They've always been well-backed in the top four divisions - in their first five years their average never strayed outwith 1300-2000 bracket.

Therein lies the million dollar question. How many top junior clubs ( and more importantly the fans ) want to be a Stranraer/East Stirling or Dumbarton ? As for those clubs wanting to move into any real pyramid system the money they receive from the SFA makes it a no brainer for them to maintain the status quo

Therein lies the million dollar question. How many top junior clubs ( and more importantly the fans ) want to be a Stranraer/East Stirling or Dumbarton ? As for those clubs wanting to move into any real pyramid system the money they receive from the SFA makes it a no brainer for them to maintain the status quo

I'm sure a lot of Junior clubs would like to be a Dumbarton, playing in the Championship, playing Rangers and Hibs and Falkirk and Raith and Morton.......

I believe that there are Junior clubs that could be a Brechin or a Stranraer, or a Dumbarton or an Alloa...

Of course there are, why would that even be up for debate? In England the four core national divisions are a clear step up from "nonleague" and there are more full-time clubs wanting access to them than there are spaces available for them. Scotland has roughly the equivalent of 420 national league clubs in English per capita terms. That means there are some very small clubs involved and being the next Brechin doesn't tend to "aspire" most people on here. It's not like Southport chasing after a return to the Football League.

This debate illustrates one thing more clearly than anything else, no team that can not realistically draw a regular crowd of over 10,000 will be able to compete for trophies without the backing of a multimillionaire who is willing to bankroll. Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs are the only teams with the where with all to self finance and compete. Rangers are the other one but please let's not go there. Talbot and Lithgie are very good examples of a non league club who are self financing, but belong where they are or in some sort of vibrant non league.

Eh? Kilmarnock, St Mirren, St Johnstone and Inverness aren't "backed by millionaires willing to bankroll", have all won trophies in the last few years, and do not average even half of that. Add in Falkirk, QotS, Raith and Livingston too if including Challenge Cup.

Of course there are, why would that even be up for debate? In England the four core national divisions are a clear step up from "nonleague" and there are more full-time clubs wanting access to them than there are spaces available for them. Scotland has roughly the equivalent of 420 national league clubs in English per capita terms. That means there are some very small clubs involved and being the next Brechin doesn't tend to "aspire" most people on here. It's not like Southport chasing after a return to the Football League.

I think you will find the majority of junior fans would disagree. Certainly the people I know are of that view. A proper pyramid with 2 elite leagues of say 12 per league and pyramid system to gain entry to the the top divisions yes but an pyramid system to gain entry to the SFL in its current structure is not for me

Eh? Kilmarnock, St Mirren, St Johnstone and Inverness aren't "backed by millionaires willing to bankroll", have all won trophies in the last few years, and do not average even half of that. Add in Falkirk, QotS, Raith and Livingston too if including Challenge Cup.

Suppose they might have their day in the sun, but truth most struggle, St Johnstone and Caley are very good clubs but will never push for the league title, well no one will I suppose which is a very real problem. Are you really using Livingston or the Challenge cup as an example?

Your English comparison is overly simplistic.

Look at the sizes of the clubs playing in national league north(and I thought our league names were stupid) not exactly too dissimilar to lower league spfl, similar sized clubs playing over a similar area.

Suppose they might have their day in the sun, but truth most struggle, St Johnstone and Caley are very good clubs but will never push for the league title, well no one will I suppose which is a very real problem. Are you really using Livingston or the Challenge cup as an example?

What's your point here? Larger clubs win more trophies?

Suppose they might have their day in the sun, but truth most struggle, St Johnstone and Caley are very good clubs but will never push for the league title, well no one will I suppose which is a very real problem.

Auchinleck are to date on track to win 4 Superleagues running and 4 out of 6 Junior Cups.

Auchinleck are to date on track to win 4 Superleagues running and 4 out of 6 Junior Cups.

Far more teams playing in Junior football have absolutely no chance of winning silverware than is the case in the SPFL. It really frustrates me when supporters of teams like my own or Talbot don't want to entertain finding their proper position based on ability and ambition because "they might not win stuff". Welcome to the world of 120+ of your current opponents.

Winning the Challenge Cup is a huge deal for those clubs who take part. It's evidently a far higher ranking trophy than "the greatest of all competitions" as some seem to see the "holy grail".

We should all be in a single structure - irrespective of what it looks like to begin with and irrespective of individual club views. The current set up is s bag of shite.

Archived