Saturday 30th January ... Games On / Off

Rab B Nesbit

Are the refs more tolerant of weather conditions in the lower levels? ie do they play in terrible conditions like the amateurs? I'm planning on watching the East Kilbride v Spartans game tomorrow, both teams have interested me after their Scottish cup runs. I know EK have a plastic pitch but wondering if it will be called off because of wind or snow?

EK was called off a few weeks back due to the snow. Can't remember a LL or EOS game getting called off due to the wind although it looks like this weekend may be an exception with 55+ mph winds due but I think it would need to be up to the ref. I'm just glad it's our free week.

Snow summary, East Kilbride area:-

Friday 1800-0000: Snow falling down to around 200-250m with a slight covering of up to 1cm possible.

Saturday 0000-0600: Snow falling down to sea level with accumulations of 1-3cm possible; risk of drifting snow in the strong winds.

Saturday 0600-1200: Snow falling to sea level initially, but then rising to above around 50-100m where accumulations of 1-3cm are possible.

Saturday 1200-1800: Snow falling down to around 50-100m with a further 1-3cm possible, with up to 4cm possible above 300m; risk of drifting once again.

EK was called off a few weeks back due to the snow. Can't remember a LL or EOS game getting called off due to the wind although it looks like this weekend may be an exception with 55+ mph winds due but I think it would need to be up to the ref. I'm just glad it's our free week.

Ref made a very late call off to a midweek ww Preston game a few seasons back due to the howling wind.

Are the refs more tolerant of weather conditions in the lower levels? ie do they play in terrible conditions like the amateurs? I'm planning on watching the East Kilbride v Spartans game tomorrow, both teams have interested me after their Scottish cup runs. I know EK have a plastic pitch but wondering if it will be called off because of wind or snow?

It's not much of a barometer, but all of the Lowland & EOS U20 matches went ahead tonight, including EK U20s v Spartans U20s at K Park; except for LTHV U20s v Preston Athletic U20s (at Meggetland in south-west Edinburgh) which was off due to "predicted high winds and travel difficulties"...

So conditions were amenable to play this evening. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, though.

It's not much of a barometer, but all of the Lowland & EOS U20 matches went ahead tonight, including EK U20s v Spartans U20s at K Park; except for LTHV U20s v Preston Athletic U20s (at Meggetland in south-west Edinburgh) which was off due to "predicted high winds and travel difficulties"...

So conditions were amenable to play this evening. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, though.

Lot of folk getting to meggetland via the Dornoch bridge?

There was the day we turned up to Peffermill for a Uni v City match and the ref called it off 45 mins before kick off due to high winds. The wind had actually dropped ten minutes after the decision and the ref's wife had been in his car waiting to do some shopping. Hmm.... needless to say both sets of club officials were not impressed...

There was the day we turned up to Peffermill for a Uni v City match and the ref called it off 45 mins before kick off due to high winds. The wind had actually dropped ten minutes after the decision and the ref's wife had been in his car waiting to do some shopping. Hmm.... needless to say both sets of club officials were not impressed...

I think that's poor form from both sets of club officials, it should not be just about if she was a "wid" or not maybe she is a good cook or something? Tsk no wonder Scottish fitba is in the state it is.

Grimbo

Eta when will we hear about the Kikby getting the thumb up or the elbow, just had some snow here in the Capital ffs

Civil service match was off too.

Forgot about that one Tam. I think there was a debate whether it was his wife or not at the time as well.

I remember asking a ref regarding how bad the wind would need to be before the they would call a game off. He mentioned if the goalkeeper kicked the ball out from the 6 yard line and it blew back over the bar he would call the game off. I don't know what the official version is but that was his guide.

Ref made a very late call off to a midweek ww Preston game a few seasons back due to the howling wind.

That's right he did Newky can't remember if that was last season in EoS or first in LL.

Heavy snow in ek now

O'H no does that mean I'll have to spend the afternoon in the pub? Actually I reckon I'll watch the City (big one) game 1st.

Grimbo

Era Sunshine again here now, just a light snow lying on grass.

Archived