Raith v Queens, 4th v 5th.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must have missed the season where Gus Macpherson lead us to fourth place, and had a better head to head record over both Hibs and Rangers!

I'm far from convinced by Fowler but the comparisons with Macpherson are scandalous, and begin and end with the fact both had to build a squad virtually from scratch. Gus made a total c**t of it. Fowler has done an average job at worst.

As comparisons go, I'd rather be compared to Hitler or Tony Blair than Gus Macpherson.j

If we are comparing him with any of our previous managers I would say he is most like McIntyre.

Gus Lite has a penchant for anti-football. Not quite as strong as the original, hence Lite.

I must have missed the season where Gus was responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of people. You think it is scandalous to compare Fowler with MacPherson, but you think it is ok to compare MacPherson with Hitler? Wow.

Given that we've played Alloa and Dumbarton three times and Rangers just once so far, we should have been looking to be clear in 4th by a good few points if we're to believe in Ray's Revolution. The fact that we're only 4th on GD says it all.

You've also played Hibs three times haven't you? We've played Alloa & Livingston three times (bottom two) plus Morton. The team we've played only once is St Mirren (which we lost). We play them two successive games after next week's head to head with you.

The nature of the Championship this season does tend to mean that even on equal games it isn't necessarily the case that the difficulty of games played can be presumed to be the same. Once we get the St Mirren games out of the way we have a run of games against Rangers, Falkirk & Hibs so points will be at a premium in that spell. I suspect the battle for 4th will go into the last couple of games of the season. If it reaches the final week, us being away at Easter Road isn't a good place to be!

I hope that this is the case. Fowler is not famed for his enterprise though, especially away from home, so 0-0 looks kinda likely.

Based on what exactly? We've taken more points away from home than everyone outside the top 3 and Saints, despite having played a game less than most and two less than some. We've scored one less goal than Raith, in one game less and two less than Saints, in two less games. Morton and Livy have scored quite a few more, but both have struggled at home for goals.

Gus Lite has a penchant for anti-football. Not quite as strong as the original, hence Lite.

I must have missed the season where Gus was responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of people. You think it is scandalous to compare Fowler with MacPherson, but you think it is ok to compare MacPherson with Hitler? Wow.

Fowler can be overly cautious when protecting a league but the idea that he is anti-football is nonsense

Fowler can be overly cautious when protecting a lead but the idea that he is anti-football is nonsense

He can also be overly cautious when protecting a point. And he can also set the team up to be overly cautious from the outset. Anti-football is a reference to the style adopted by the likes of Walter Smith.

To be fair, I don't think Fowler is alone in this and it seems to be getting more and more common. But the likes of Gus, Walter Smith and Craig Levein were pioneers.

Based on what exactly? We've taken more points away from home than everyone outside the top 3 and Saints, despite having played a game less than most and two less than some. We've scored one less goal than Raith, in one game less and two less than Saints, in two less games. Morton and Livy have scored quite a few more, but both have struggled at home for goals.

Thanks for supporting my case with actual evidence.

I was kinda going with a hunch, but thanks to you, I'm now on much firmer ground with my claim that Fowler is not famed for an enterprising approach, particularly in away games.

We sit fifth and have taken the fifth highest number of away points, hardly evidence of a side punching above its weight when traveling.

When it comes to scoring away goals, surely the clearest manifestation of enterprise, I think you're saying we sit 8th from 10.

Sorry, but your figures do not send me scrambling to revise my initial assessment.

He can also be overly cautious when protecting a point. And he can also set the team up to be overly cautious from the outset. Anti-football is a reference to the style adopted by the likes of Walter Smith.

To be fair, I don't think Fowler is alone in this and it seems to be getting more and more common. But the likes of Gus, Walter Smith and Craig Levein were pioneers.

I disagree. Anti-football is going out to stop the other team playing without making any attempt to play yourself. Fowler isnt guilty of that

We'll be well out of that battle by then so don't worry.

Yeah I fully expect us to be at least six points off the pace going into the last quarter. Considering how tough our last set of fixtures are we would probably need s six point lead going into them.

Thanks for supporting my case with actual evidence. I was kinda going with a hunch, but thanks to you, I'm now on much firmer ground with my claim that Fowler is not famed for an enterprising approach, particularly in away games. We sit fifth and have taken the fifth highest number of away points, hardly evidence of a side punching above its weight when traveling. When it comes to scoring away goals, surely the clearest manifestation of enterprise, I think you're saying we sit 8th from 10. Sorry, but your figures do not send me scrambling to revise my initial assessment.

Its not entirely fair to include Rangers or Hibs in stats like this, so I didnt. Falkirk are also fairly well clear of everyone else, so I didnt include them either. In terms of goals, Morton and Saints are clearly anomalies. Both have better away records and have scored far more goals away from home. These things happen.

You were clearly being critical of Fowlers approach. What the stats show is that we are around where we should be given our league position, probably slightly ahead given we've played less games. No, we're not punching above our weight but neither is their much cause for criticism, based on the stats.

Its not entirely fair to include Rangers or Hibs in stats like this, so I didnt. Falkirk are also fairly well clear of everyone else, so I didnt include them either. In terms of goals, Morton and Saints are clearly anomalies. Both have better away records and have scored far more goals away from home. These things happen.

You were clearly being critical of Fowlers approach. What the stats show is that we are around where we should be given our league position, probably slightly ahead given we've played less games. No, we're not punching above our weight but neither is their much cause for criticism, based on the stats.

We don't attack teams enough in away games.

Your stats establish that fact, better than I'd been managing by myself.

I still don't think we will make the play-offs this season. However, such is the meh-ness of the teams contending, we are in with a chance. We don't show much consistency.

Strangely, I actually think we have been the better side in our two fixtures v Rovers so far. But they have taken 4 points and we have 1. So, I can't say I am expecting a great deal from our visit to Kirkcaldy.

Wonder if we will see a repeat of the two man offensive on our keeper at a corner. It certainly worked the last time! ( not bitter at all! Har har!)

Yet score fewer goals than nearly all of them.

Really?

All of our 8 away goals, bar one, have come against Alloa, Livingston and Dumbarton. The other was at Ibrox. I wasn't there but I think it is fair to say we hardly crossed the halfway line in that game.

We have not scored an away goal this season against Hibs, Falkirk, Raith or Morton.

So, our record against the teams currently ranked 6th and higher is 1 goal in 5 games.

Of course, this doesn't prove that Fowler has adopted an anti-football approach against the better teams away from home and a more attacking approach against the lower ranked ones. But it is more of a guide than the absolute numbers.

All of our 8 away goals, bar one, have come against Alloa, Livingston and Dumbarton. The other was at Ibrox. I wasn't there but I think it is fair to say we hardly crossed the halfway line in that game.

We have not scored an away goal this season against Hibs, Falkirk, Raith or Morton.

So, our record against the teams currently ranked 6th and higher is 1 goal in 5 games.

Of course, this doesn't prove that Fowler has adopted an anti-football approach against the better teams away from home and a more attacking approach against the lower ranked ones. But it is more of a guide than the absolute numbers.

Every team in the top 6, except Queens, averages less than one goal conceded per home game - Falkirks record is even better, closer to one goal every two games.

The fact that we havent scored against these teams in away games is consistent with the rest of the teams in the league.

This should have the makings of a really good game, both teams both wanting 4th place and only GD is the difference. However I suspect this will be brutal haha, 0-0 has been mentioned and in all honesty, I'd take that. Unless we get a recognised centre forward in, I'm not positive about this game. 1st goal wins the game. And obviously being biased, Bene hasn't banged a header in a while, 1-0 to us.

Looking forward to seeing Connelly again.

Archived