East Kilbride v Celtic - SC R5 - Sunday 6th Feb - BBC 1

HomelandsOur

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would have been a great story if they kept it at K-Park, but they'd have financially been shooting themselves in the foot if they had. Doubt the police would have allowed it anyway - the K-Park is essentially a 3G cage with spectator facilities in the middle of a country park a fair distance out of the town centre with one route in and out. Even a few hundred fans showing up without tickets would have been a problem, far less the amount that would have been likely to turn up.

Congratulations to EK for making it through.

That said, I'm pleased that the game is being played in Hamilton.

There's quite enough soapdodging, sectarian scumbags in the town as it is without busing them in from all over Scotland and Ireland.

Appreciate it's all about money but it really shouldn't be. I would've loved to have seen them move the game to Pollok or some other reasonable non-league ground just for a bit of nostalgia/romanticism. Given that they play on plastic though it makes sense to stick to a surface they know.

Now I think about it I wonder if Newlandsfield would hold more fans than NDP.

Newlandsfield's postage stamp surface probably contravenes some SFA regulation for R5. Capacity is supposedly 4000 but I'm not convinced the police would allow that. The Montrose tie in 2007 was around 2000 and the place was full enough in terms of getting around and facilities.

You don't see league 1 or 2 sides moving games to bigger grounds so why should EK get to? Ruins the tie for me.

Albion Rovers have done it a couple of times in recent years for games against Rangers.. moved their Ramsdens Cup tie to Livingston and their Scottish Cup replay to New Douglas Park. I don't think clubs would be allowed to do it purely for £££, and I certainly would agree that would ruin the tie if that was permitted, but this one (like the Albion Rovers games) were moved on health & safety and police advice and having been to K-Park there's no way they could safely host a game of this magnitude at that venue for the reasons Hillonearth has mentioned above.

Albion Rovers have done it a couple of times in recent years for games against Rangers.. moved their Ramsdens Cup tie to Livingston and their Scottish Cup replay to New Douglas Park. I don't think clubs would be allowed to do it purely for £££, and I certainly would agree that would ruin the tie if that was permitted, but this one (like the Albion Rovers games) were moved on health & safety and police advice and having been to K-Park there's no way they could safely host a game of this magnitude at that venue for the reasons Hillonearth has mentioned above.

Pretty sure that the only reason you can change is for health & safety reasons. I believe that you can reverse venues in England, but not up here. It's a reasonable compromise to take the game to Hamilton.R

Really chuffed for two of the EK management team, Billy Ogilvie and, of course, Gardner Speirs who both put a lot of years in coaching at QP. We've also a few old lags playing for them.

Mob rule stops the game being played at the proper home ground and BBC Glasgow continue to fund sectarianism and stick two fingers up to the rest of the clubs by broadcasting Celtic's public training session live. It all sums up Scottish football quite well.

Mob rule stops the game being played at the proper home ground and BBC Glasgow continue to fund sectarianism and stick two fingers up to the rest of the clubs by broadcasting Celtic's public training session live. It all sums up Scottish football quite well.

You're worse than the " you wouldn't steal a car " piracy advert.

I hate seeing teams have to move from their own ground for matches but I understand why they've done it. Albion Rovers played Motherwell at NDP because of damage (I think it was a fire) and then played Sevco there again later on in the replay.

Meaning?

That the BBC funds sectarianism by showing the biggest club in Scotland on TV where they'll get the most viewers which is exactly what their business model revolves around, as if thats a get it up you to Scottish football.

Right up there with piracy funds terrorism scaremongering.

the funny thing is that in the lead up to this "training session" it's going to be the junior club that get 99% of the press, and their 5 minutes of fame, so if thats what sums up scottish football then good on Scottish football and the BBC.

The exact same thing happens in the FA Cup too when a huge team draws a non league/lower league team away from home, but i'm guessing that the English FA and the English BBC aren't involved in some sort of religious conspiracy down there either.

Give me that over Dundee Utd vs Partick Thistle or Motherwell vs Inverness any day.

Archived