Challenge Cup Restructure

Worktheshaft

I met this news with something of a sigh...

I agree with adding more HL & LL clubs: they are the next level down in the pyramid. I don't mind the idea of adding Northern Irish & Welsh clubs: I can see the thinking behind it.

However...

I don't agree with non-members from other nations being admitted in to later rounds than SPFL members, which is what will happen if they're entering in R3. I totally disagree with admitting Development League teams, and with press reports previously claiming 4 or 6 they're now letting all 12 in (gets Rangers B in presumably). Why should first-teams have to play Hamilton B? Infact any 'Colts teams'?

So I can like some of it, but not all of it.

In practical terms it also makes the cup 2 rounds longer, and may eliminate the last chance part-time clubs have to reach SFs or Finals. You also wonder how crowds will look against B teams, and travel to Wales or NI (especially for part-timers). Plus what if Celtic B draw Linfield...

EDIT: More ominously:

A representative from a member club said: "The plans are very radical and would test the water for the introduction of colt teams into league football".

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly the Irish press say it'll be 2 Irish clubs that haven't qualified for Europe i.e. outside their top 4.

Presume the same would apply to Wales.

Coleraine Times:

http://www.colerainetimes.co.uk/sport/football/coleraine-chairman-welcomes-scottish-challenge-cup-invite-plans-1-7187834

If an attractive sponsorship package and television coverage can be secured, Irish League sides would seem certain to come on board.

At the moment, BBC Alba pay around £100,000 a year to televise the Challenge Cup tournament but SPFL chiefs hope to raise similar sums from Welsh broadcasters and BBC Northern Ireland.

At this stage it looks like the teams who will be involved will be thsoe who have no European commitments. McKendry feels this is a big boost to the teams in the league.

“From what I’ve been told the places will go to teams who don’t qualify for Europe,†he said.

FTD:

http://www.footballtradedirectory.com/news/2016/january/scottish-football-irish-sides-open-to-idea-of.html

At the moment, BBC Alba pay around £100,000 a year to televise the Challenge Cup tournament but SPFL chiefs hope to raise similar sums from Welsh broadcasters and BBC Northern Ireland.

Dwindling prize money and problems over fixture scheduling contributed to the Setanta Cup's downfall and clubs will be wary of similar issues threatening to derail this proposal but for now they are giving the initiative serious consideration.

Glenavon and NIFL chairman Adrian Teer said: "We're excited at the prospect of joining up in a new competition. It's a concept that is very interesting to us."

Linfield chairman Jim Kerr questioned whether Danske Bank Premiership clubs who secure European qualification would be able to feature in the revamped tournament.

"It's a particularly good idea as it widens the opportunity for clubs in Northern Ireland but from my understanding, the clubs from the Irish League who qualify for Europe will not be eligible to take part," suggested Kerr.

"The other clubs will then vie to take part perhaps with a preference given to our League Cup winners if they haven't already qualified for Uefa competition.

I met this news with something of a sigh...

I agree with adding more HL & LL clubs: they are the next level down in the pyramid. I don't mind the idea of adding Northern Irish & Welsh clubs: I can see the thinking behind it.

However...

I don't agree with non-members from other nations being admitted in to later rounds than SPFL members, which is what will happen if they're entering in R3. I totally disagree with admitting Development League teams, and with press reports previously claiming 4 or 6 they're now letting all 12 in (gets Rangers B in presumably). Why should first-teams have to play Hamilton B? Infact any 'Colts teams'?

So I can like some of it, but not all of it.

In practical terms it also makes the cup 2 rounds longer, and may eliminate the last chance part-time clubs have to reach SFs or Finals. You also wonder how crowds will look against B teams, and travel to Wales or NI (especially for part-timers). Plus what if Celtic B draw Linfield...

EDIT: More ominously:

Considering everything about this revamp that would probably one of the dream scenarios for those that came up with it. Number one being an Old Firm final at Hampden.

How fucking shite is Northern Irish football that some of their clubs are moist at the prospect of entering a shan tournament in another of European football's backwaters?   :huh:

l looked up who Highland, Lowland, 'B' team, Northern Irish and Welsh qualifiers would have been this season (if latter qualification as per Irish press).

Brora Rangers

Turriff Utd

Cove Rangers

Wick Academy

Edinburgh City

East Kilbride

Gretna 2008

Dalbeattie Star

Celtic 'B'

Aberdeen 'B'

Inverness CT 'B'

St Johnstone 'B'

Dundee Utd 'B'

Dundee 'B'

Hamilton Acad 'B'

Partick Thistle 'B'

Ross County 'B'

Kilmarnock 'B'

Motherwell 'B'

Hearts 'B'

Portadown

Cliftonville

Aberystwyth Town

Port Talbot

None of those leagues publish attendance figures, except the Northern Irish and Welsh top levels. Cliftonville (1,408) and Portadown (982) are around lower Scottish Championship / upper SPFL1. Aberystwyth Town (417) is equivalent to lower SPFL2, while Port Talbot (189) is well below SPFL levels.

Btw - one puzzle is the leak says 54 teams will enter (that adds-up: 30 SFPL, 4 HL, 4 LL, 12 'B' teams, 2 Northern Irish, 2 Welsh) but that the Northern Irish and Welsh teams will join in the Third Round, which will contain 32 teams. Odd to have 2 rounds before that to only eliminate 22 out of 50 teams?

Awful. The Challenge Cup's been an entertaining wee contest for the teams that don't often get a shot at silverware; wringing every last penny out isn't always the most important thing, especially if it means turning it into a clownshoes novelty that will grow into a tiresome chore for all concerned very quickly indeed.

The bulk of the SPFL sides need to stomp on this 'colt team' pish pronto. The beaks have been desperate to foist this on us for a while now, and it's utterly transparent which clubs are meant to benefit from it. Wind your necks in, sign the players you actually need, and stop trying to create meaningful competition for all the extra players you've hoovered up from everyone else.

Awful. The Challenge Cup's been an entertaining wee contest for the teams that don't often get a shot at silverware; wringing every last penny out isn't always the most important thing, especially if it means turning it into a clownshoes novelty that will grow into a tiresome chore for all concerned very quickly indeed.

The bulk of the SPFL sides need to stomp on this 'colt team' pish pronto. The beaks have been desperate to foist this on us for a while now, and it's utterly transparent which clubs are meant to benefit from it. Wind your necks in, sign the players you actually need, and stop trying to create meaningful competition for all the extra players you've hoovered up from everyone else.

Definitely agree with not entertaining colt sides, not long back they were being touted for league membership, no way should clubs be allowed to have two teams in the same organization. As we found this year its the one cup that teams from lower leagues have a chance at winning. If changing get HFL & LL clubs involved which would be more in the spirit of the competition.

Quite apart from the rights and wrongs of having Welsh & Northern Irish teams enter, why should they be getting a bye to later rounds when the Welsh teams would be pumped out by any respectable Highland league side in the First round?

Of course, while having Northern Irish and Welsh teams enter is stupid, it doesn't come close to the Colt team nonsense which is dangerous for the game. There's no place for them in the first team league pyramid and this is clearly intended as the first step towards shoehorning them in.

Daily Record (I know...) already floated OF 'B's possibly entering new League Cup sections/SPFL itself. Surprisingly, piece was against:

The inclusion of the likes of Rangers ‘B’ and Celtic ‘B’ serves only to raise suspicion.

It smacks of getting top-flight under-20s sides into main competitions by the back door.

The phrase thin end of the wedge springs to mind here for it would not be a huge leap for them to then take part in the rehashed Sectional League Cup – or even the bottom tier of a bigger league structure.

This would compromise and cheapen the integrity of our game, particularly at the lower levels.

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/sports-view-scottish-challenge-cup-7253944#s3QfccrZBuJhbPBH.99

Pure DR speculation of course. Equally there are now 2 'extra' slots in the League Cup sections, granted to HL & LL champions this year.

I don't mind the idea of letting the Welsh and Irish teams in, although I'd rather it was their top teams rather than those not in Europe (it's not like they'll be playing many European games anyway).

However, I fucking hate letting B teams in.

Not sure how I feel about the N. Irish and Welsh teams entering. Part of me reckons it's just a token gimmick almost as a counterweight against the Colt teams, whilst the prospect of pumping Linfield (unlikely but possible) would be quite a good way to start the season.

At the very least it would be good to see more teams from the HL and LL in, don't think anyone is against that from what I can see.

I don't mind HL or LL clubs... I don't mind the idea of Northern Irish or Welsh clubs - but do not agree with them entering 2 rounds further in than actual SPFL members and it being their non-CL/EL clubs (which Linfield have missed-out on only once in 14 years, btw)... I do not agree with reserve teams.

Going to put an idea out there. So dont shoot me.

First off, not even going to entertain the idea of Welsh/NI teams join any of the cup structures. Utter pish idea.

Now colt teams. Love or hate the idea but Colt teams can serve a purpose. Just have to look at countries such as Holland, Spain and Germany that operate B teams. A number of players that have played in B teams have moved on to international level. Granted there coaching level is much better.

But this is Scotland. We have big teams to the small teams. Adding more teams is incertain.

But lets say we did and clubs voted to introduce B teams at lower levels. How would it work.

Well firstly the leagues will have to be expanded with a proper pyramid setup. Min 16 team top flight. Min 16 team championship. Either another league below or reagionals. No playoff pish between reagionals. Straight up and down.

No B team can be promoted to top flight. Cant play in League or Scottish Cup.

B teams cant play in same division.

Max 3/4 B teams allowed in championship. Bottom B team of the 3/4 relegated and replaced with top B team from leagues below. (makes them fight harder and not think its a kick about. Sort of mini league for the B teams)

If a club wishes to enter a B team they must pay £50000-150000 per season depending on which league club is playing in. This is to be shared around lower league clubs.

Each B team would have to start at very bottom of pyramid. (Such as Aberdeen, Inverness and Ross County B plays in Highland League) (rest split between Lowland West and East)

Etc etc.

May aswell say what some will say straight away...........

What a load of pish. Haha

Archived