Challenge Cup Restructure

Worktheshaft

We could learn from the Scandinavians as so often; the Norwegian Khallenjekopen has a group stage based on the teams home kit colours with Icelandic, Greenlander and Faroese top clubs introduced dependent on their away kit. Flanjefjorde have had a bye for the last 23 years due to their mauve strip. The knockout rounds are then done alphabetically rather than by random draw.

Don't talk shite.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the idea, we have to think outside the box to create more interest and to hopefully gain more money, it's got to be managed right However

You like the idea of a Tuesday night trip to face Airbus UK or Bala Town.

You've either got a helicopter or you're a bit odd.

No mention of the English Premier League in the STV article, only Scottish Premiership U-20 teams.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/1339747-spfl-seek-uefa-permission-for-cross-border-challenge-cup-competition/

Glad to see the rebrand of Scottish Football has been a massive success and there is no confusion at all when people talk about the "Premiership"

The idea of Irish and Welsh teams is stupid but I think adding SPL U20s sides would be interesting to me but it does seem like it would rob smaller sides of a chance at winning a trophy. And the U20 youth cup already exists so in many ways it is duplication.

The cross border precedent has already been set with the cup they ran in Ireland, which I can see had some mileage. Would they sanction this pish or would they just not care?

There was also the Royal League with Danish, Norwegian & Swedish clubs that only lasted 2 or 3 seasons.

This idea is pish. I like they're coming up with different ideas but this is one that should be/should have been rejected as soon as it was suggested.

New ideas my arse.

All the proposed changes to this cup , the league cup and the leagues are basically revamped ideas based on the failed systems of the 1970's

I see The Daily Record is talking shite about The Welsh Premiership not being able to hold a candle to League 2! The Welsh Premiership is a lot better than Scottish League 2!

Have you ever watched the Welsh Premier League? It really, really isn't.

Have you ever watched the Welsh Premier League? It really, really isn't.

This.

I have seen some of there games on TV and most of the teams are no better than Division 3 teams. TNS is one of the only full time teams in that league and thats pushing it.

Crowds barely get over 250+ on average.

• 1 month later...

Bump

U20s teams as well as Norn Irish and Welsh teams set to be added

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/premiership-colt-teams-could-play-in-next-season-s-petrofac-cup-1-4095258

Can't imagine that Airbus UK v Albion Rovers will draw a major crowd, but you never know I suppose.

Why are we even entertaining the Welsh league by the way? It's a lower standard than our lower rung Juniors judging by what I've seen. Colt teams can get tae as well. Nobody wants to see their team play an away tie at Ross County U20s. 

Four representatives from the HFL and LL as well?! I know the jokes that run our game are clueless, but punt the Welsh and Irish and 20s team and bring in the whole Highland and Lowland League.

Just imagine a part time team make the last 32 round. They are drawn away against Port Talbot from the Welsh league and the game is played on a tuesday night.

The club may aswell pull out cause they dont have a chance of affording the travel costs, accommodation, players getting days off from work and family, etc.

This cup should be for the lower league teams. Not colts/under 20s, NI and W teams.

Archived