Challenge Cup Restructure

Worktheshaft

I don't want to see Clyde play shitty Brora Rangers or boring East Fife in it! I want to see Clyde play better teams like Bangor City or Bala Town or Linfield or Glenavon or some teams like them!

:lol:

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure exactly what my namesake was agreeing with me about, but I'd like to add that I'm very, very sorry and withdraw the statement immediately :lol:

Why not hold a challenge cup lower league in all four countries and then have a semi final with the Irish,Welsh,English and Scottish winners playing in a drawn out semi final and winner get cup of Britain for talking sake say Falkirk and Airbus Luton and linfield have a random draw ground and have a weekend tournament the semis on Saturday and 3rd place and final on a Sunday and charge say 20 quid for all four match or something

This sounds like the pishiest idea ever. Teams struggle to get decent away crowds in at grounds in Scotland. Why would folk wanti travel to Fucking pishy Wales or get a ferry across to Ireland on a Tuesday night for a first round diddy diddy cup game. Firing squad for the morons who thought up this idea

Feck it. Lets see it happen and see interest in this competition sink faster than the Titanic.

Championship to league 2 teams will play a minimum of 41 games next year with the new League cup format and at least 1 Scottish Cup game. Add another 3 or 4 for challenge cup groups. Lets see a part time team like Elgin or Arbroath having to face an away trip to face Port Talbot, Wales or Linfield, NI for an away tie on a tuesday night. Many players having to take days off from work just to make the match and the clubs losing money from the travel costs alone.

Absolute lunacy from the brains of the SPFL.

This sounds like the pishiest idea ever. Teams struggle to get decent away crowds in at grounds in Scotland. Why would folk wanti travel to Fucking pishy Wales or get a ferry across to Ireland on a Tuesday night for a first round diddy diddy cup game. Firing squad for the morons who thought up this idea

All ties would have to be played in Scotland.

Otherwise it would be a new cup competition

Dreadful idea.

The challenge cup has had its day. time to bin it. The regionalisation is a joke as it is (Stirling are a northern team apparently - we get Buckie, Elgin, etc away all the time)

We have the Scottish Cup as the competition where highland/lowland teams get a crack at the big time like Montrose, Cowdenbeath and The Shire. It would devalue the Scottish Cup to do it all over again in the Challenge Cup.

How many games would you need to play to win it if all teams in Wales and N Ireland were in too (this tournament can't be played preseason as the new League Cup had hoovered up all those dates)

Innovation is all good and well but it needs a good idea at its heart. This smacks of trying to appease the idea that we are playing the same teams too often but are unprepared to grasp the nettle and increase the size of the leagues. That to me is how you freshen up football.

As far as the EPL kids go, this does reek a bit of, "we've no' actually asked them yet, but..."

Imagine these lads with their sports scientists and multi-million pound facilities and contracts turning up at Central Park, Cliftonhill or Arbroath on a Tuesday night with a gale on and the rain horizontal.

Imagine these lads with their sports scientists and multi-million pound facilities and contracts turning up at Central Park, Cliftonhill or Arbroath on a Tuesday night with a gale on and the rain horizontal.

Even better when big Tam recently signed from the juniors clatters into them.

Seriously , as really stupid ideas go this takes a bit of beating imo.

Dreadful idea.

The challenge cup has had its day. time to bin it. The regionalisation is a joke as it is (Stirling are a northern team apparently - we get Buckie, Elgin, etc away all the time)

You're (currently) classed as a northern team because you're pretty much in the middle of the country so will move depending on who's actually in the three divisions.

We could learn from the Scandinavians as so often; the Norwegian Khallenjekopen has a group stage based on the teams home kit colours with Icelandic, Greenlander and Faroese top clubs introduced dependent on their away kit. Flanjefjorde have had a bye for the last 23 years due to their mauve strip. The knockout rounds are then done alphabetically rather than by random draw.

Archived