Challenge Cup Restructure

Worktheshaft

It has been announced that the early rounds are seeded and regionalised but they haven't said how yet. Presumably the idea will be to keep 'B' teams apart, and to reduce the chances of smaller clubs progressing. I imagine their dream Last 16 is the 4 Northern Irish/Welsh clubs, the 10 Championship clubs and 2 OF 'B' teams, tbh.

Anyway to return to the prizemoney point - so from what CowdenCowboy and SkylineDrifter have said it is indeed £3500 in R1? Presumably the paper is also correct about it being £17,750 for winning the final? Hardly figures to shout about, even if it is a thousand or two up on last season. What you're saying is that despite the new categories of entrants, the TV deals and all the PR spin over how "exciting", "innovative" and "attractive" it is becoming - clubs are getting a whole £500 more than then were 18yrs ago, and a whole £750 than they were 5yrs ago?

Given R1 is now midweek and there is a high chance of playing some 'B' team before a poor crowd, that may well be wiped out at the gate alone.

At Berwick £500 equates to as little as 41 adult admissions, at our £12 walk-up pricing.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been announced that the early rounds are seeded and regionalised but they haven't said how yet. Presumably the idea will be to keep 'B' teams apart, and to reduce the chances of smaller clubs progressing. I imagine their dream Last 16 is the 4 Northern Irish/Welsh clubs, the 10 Championship clubs and 2 OF 'B' teams, tbh.

Anyway to return to the prizemoney point - so from what CowdenCowboy and SkylineDrifter have said it is indeed £3500 in R1? Presumably the paper is also correct about it being £17,750 for winning the final? Hardly figures to shout about, even if it is a thousand or two up on last season. What you're saying is that despite the new categories of entrants, the TV deals and all the PR spin over how "exciting", "innovative" and "attractive" it is becoming - clubs are getting a whole £500 more than then were 18yrs ago, and a whole £750 than they were 5yrs ago?

Given R1 is now midweek and there is a high chance of playing some 'B' team before a poor crowd, that may well be wiped out at the gate alone.

At Berwick £500 equates to as little as 41 adult admissions, at our £12 walk-up pricing.

Albeit the number of clubs sharing prize money has markedly increased. Each club also benefits from a significant supply of bottled water from irn Bru

I seriously hope we never see U20s teams in the leagues in the future.  That would be a joke.  Hopefully this is restricted to the Challenge Cup and not a sign of things to come.

I'd have made it all teams from Championship, League 1, League 2, Highland League and Lowland League in a regionalised 64-team first round draw.  I can't speak for lower league fans but I'd be more interested in playing different non-league teams than against the U20s of premiership teams.

So commerically the apparent gain from adding teams has largely cancelled itself out.

Complimentary water bottles you say? I take it all back...

I imagine clubs on TV will also get money for their games being shown live.

The complimentary stuff from Irn Bru is a kick back to when they sponsored the SFL you get quite a lot of it, to a small club you would be saving a good few quid instead of having to buy bottles of water for the players over a whole season.

I imagine clubs on TV will also get money for their games being shown live.

The complimentary stuff from Irn Bru is a kick back to when they sponsored the SFL you get quite a lot of it, to a small club you would be saving a good few quid instead of having to buy bottles of water for the players over a whole season.

They sent this to PFA Scotland for the exit trials.

post-21687-1465916519438_thumb.jpg

Just remember these U20 teams get 45% of the gate money, nice to see lower league clubs help funding the premiership teams youth

That's how it's split 10% to the host club to cover costs and what's left is split 50/50. It's not hard to find out maybe once you stop having a massive chub on voting for a strip you could easily get that information confirmed.

Yes it is how it's split. I'm struggling to see why you think this should not be the case when two teams play a cup tie?

Is it? How's that going to work with the u20 teams? Will they be seeded? Like I said previously, I like that they are trying out new ideas regarding the format but just not sure u20 teams, Welsh & NI teams are the way to go.

One other practical issue if the u20 sides make the later rounds - with these being international weekends, isn't there a chance that they could have players away? Will they be in the same three away for postponement rule?

One other practical issue if the u20 sides make the later rounds - with these being international weekends, isn't there a chance that they could have players away? Will they be in the same three away for postponement rule?

Ditto with Celtic/Hearts/Aberdeen in R1-R2, which are CL/EL midweeks.

How competitive are the U20s sides likely to be?

I've only been to a couple of U20s games and they were sterile non-events. Individual players have gone on loan and performed well at Championship level and below (I can think of McManus, McMullan and Gasparotto off hand, and Craig Moore did well for Ayr last season) in recent seasons, but do some of the 'smaller' Premiership clubs have the quality to field competitive teams?

Beyond Celtic, I'm not so sure - over the course of a season - many U20s clubs would compete in League 1. Or am I wrong?

Disappointing that the dozen or so pages of lower-league seethe have been deleted along with the rest of the Wasteland.  I'm in the minority of folk who are enthusiastic about the competition revamp.  I'm not expecting the Ross County U20s (or most of the U20s for that matter) to get past the first round because they're not very good, but I would absolutely love an away trip to a random Welsh market town or Belfast in the fourth round.

Disappointing that the dozen or so pages of lower-league seethe have been deleted along with the rest of the Wasteland. I'm in the minority of folk who are enthusiastic about the competition revamp. I'm not expecting the Ross County U20s (or most of the U20s for that matter) to get past the first round because they're not very good, but I would absolutely love an away trip to a random Welsh market town or Belfast in the fourth round.

Ditto. Majority of the moaning seems very insular. Give it a go FFS.

I've also heard on good authority that talks are advanced on expanding and with English leagues. Probably see how the first couple of seasons of this goes.

Yeah, I can see them being desperate to test themselves against Hamilton Accies youth team.

The majority of the moaning isn't insular. While the addition of the Welsh/Northern Irish hasn't been universally popular, the addition of the under-20s, as the first step to their inevitable inclusion within the SPFL, has attracted far more criticism.

Archived