Twin Squads for March Friendlies

Gordopolis

he can name all the squads he wants, we all know his love children Alan Hutton and Steven Fletcher will start both matches regardless of whether they actually have a club and or are playing any sort of club football.

Our best striker in starting a match SHOCKER

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouln't mind seeing a few bodies moved up from u-21s... Gauld, Kennedy, Paterson, McGhee and Findlay perhaps

Wouldn't be against it if he did, but realistically only Paterson and maybe McGhee currently have the credentials to get a sniff of a cap.

shock forameus Steven Fletchers Number 1 Fan/Relative has bitten to that comment........Best Striker? He cant even get a game for one of the worst ever English Premiership teams? Best Striker all right, can see the massive line of teams wanting to sign him.............

Wouldn't be against it if he did, but realistically only Paterson and maybe McGhee currently have the credentials to get a sniff of a cap.

McGhee is 4th choice centre-back at Hearts and 2nd choice full-back. He's miles away from international recognition at the moment.

shock forameus Steven Fletchers Number 1 Fan/Relative has bitten to that comment........Best Striker? He cant even get a game for one of the worst ever English Premiership teams? Best Striker all right, can see the massive line of teams wanting to sign him.............

Try harder next time. I said our best striker. Which he is. I must have missed all those Scottish strikers that are keeping him out of the Sunderland team. If Defoe and Borini were Scottish, I would have them instead. But, unless your seething mess has led you to check their passports, I don't think they are. Which makes them absolutely irrelevant to whether Steven Fletcher should be called up for Scotland. Which he should. And he will. And you'll be absolutely frothing at the thought. Great.

Hope that helps.

Also, since I'm apparently just a fanboy or whatever, what 6 strikers would you have in the squad over Fletcher? Presumably these twin squads will have at least 3 strikers each, possibly as much as 8, but I'll make it a little easier for you. You must have six in mind that deserve a place more than him, so why not venture them? We could all use a laugh.

I'd involve Paterson, as no matter how well/badly Hutton plays, he's not going to last forever. Get Paterson (or any other right back that looks like he could take over) involved in the friendlies, see what he's got.

I would also involve Gauld. He has the potential to be a key player for us, and as long as he doesn't have a more important U21 game at the same time, where's the harm in seeing how he fits in for the main squad?

Also, since I'm apparently just a fanboy or whatever, what 6 strikers would you have in the squad over Fletcher? Presumably these twin squads will have at least 3 strikers each, possibly as much as 8, but I'll make it a little easier for you. You must have six in mind that deserve a place more than him, so why not venture them? We could all use a laugh.

McCormack, Rhodes, Naismith, Russell, Griffiths and Hotshot Hamish

McCormack, Rhodes, Naismith, Russell, Griffiths and Hotshot Hamish

If it was down to one squad, I'd take Rhodes, Naismith, Griffiths and Fletcher if it was to be four. I'd rather have Naismith across the three behind the striker, and unless we change the system drastically, then I think Fletcher remains the best option. Rhodes doesn't really fit in, although admittedly hasn't had much chance to prove otherwise. I'm not sure Griffiths can bring others into play as well, although he's definitely a better finisher.

It's only because Kris Doolan can't be arsed to play international football anyway.

Just a few players who haven't been close in recent squads who I think will potentially get a call up for the friendlies.

Liam Cooper

Liam Bridcutt

Barry Douglas

Steven Caulker

Ash Taylor

Kieran Tierney

Calum Patterson

Ross McCormack

Tom Cairney

Liam Palmer

Kenny McLean

Wouln't mind seeing a few bodies moved up from u-21s... Gauld, Kennedy, Paterson, McGhee and Findlay perhaps

The U21s have a competitive double header so I doubt we'll be seeing many of them involved. Findlay is a dreadful shout - a regular in the worst defence in the country.

• 3 weeks later...

forameus, tbf If Fletcher is playing for Marseille and scoring and or at least featuring and contributing then I will change my personal stance and agree he SHOULD feature for us but that doesn't mean Strachan shouldn't look to experiment in these 2 games either does it? Being fair I think I will be more annoyed if Hutton starts either or both the games considering he cant even get a game for the worst Villa side ever.

forameus, tbf If Fletcher is playing for Marseille and scoring and or at least featuring and contributing then I will change my personal stance and agree he SHOULD feature for us but that doesn't mean Strachan shouldn't look to experiment in these 2 games either does it? Being fair I think I will be more annoyed if Hutton starts either or both the games considering he cant even get a game for the worst Villa side ever.

Hutton's just back from injury.

forameus, tbf If Fletcher is playing for Marseille and scoring and or at least featuring and contributing then I will change my personal stance and agree he SHOULD feature for us but that doesn't mean Strachan shouldn't look to experiment in these 2 games either does it?

Fair enough. I think "experimenting" is over-played though. Time with the squad is extremely limited compared to a club, so just throwing in a striker you don't really believe will be a long-term prospect is almost wasted time. Unless someone is an absolute revelation, he's not going to learn anything more by playing him than he knew before. Sure you're trying him in your system, alongside your other players, but is one game - a friendly as well - really going to suddenly change a player from prospect to starter?

In terms of strikers, since we're talking about Fletcher, who do we really have that's worth "experimenting" on? Griffiths and Fletcher should be our two first choices (for now). Rhodes probably deserves a shot (if WGS is open to changing systems - see below for that - otherwise he won't work), then maybe McCormack, Naismith up front (I prefer him behind the strikers). But where are the other strikers to use?

I wouldn't be against him trying one of the games using a second system. I still fully believe that the one we use now is the best we can do, and plays to our strengths, but it's always a good option to be able to switch things up if something isn't working, or you're up against an opponent that something else would work with. Would we have done better against Georgia if we had a system that wasn't trying to pick passes through a bank of 10 players? Couldn't have been much worse.

I guess my opinion is that we should stick largely with the squad that WGS plans on using through the entire campaign. Keep some slots in the squad aside for breakout players, but keep the core there. I've always said that, and will always say that. Let's face it, we weren't world-beaters in the campaign last year, but we were a win against Georgia away from being in the playoffs where we stood a decent chance. Ripping it up and starting again won't work, so keep the faith with the core and let them make it right. In two years time, certain players will be dropping out anyway, at which time the players that filled up those floating spots can come in to replace them.

Being fair I think I will be more annoyed if Hutton starts either or both the games considering he cant even get a game for the worst Villa side ever.

Hutton will definitely start at least one of the games I reckon, mainly because he's currently on 49 caps. Strachan will give him a start for his 50th and he'll get a presentation at Hampden before the Denmark game. Scott Brown is the same.

Surely it's Scott Arfield's time now? I'd have Ross Mccormack starting one of the games and have Tom Cairney in too

Would like to see wee Ryan Fraser given some game time.

Is Fraser not crocked at present?

Eta. Just checked. Out for a good few weeks.

Surely it's Scott Arfield's time now? I'd have Ross Mccormack starting one of the games and have Tom Cairney in too

Would like to see wee Ryan Fraser given some game time.

Agree re Arfield. No idea why he's been over looked for so long. Last year he was starting every week in the EPL, but he can't even get in the squad never mind the team.

Hard to see him getting his chance now but you never know. Might not be an issue for much longer anyway:

http://mobile.burnleyfootballclub.com//news/article/arfield-ready-to-answer-canada-call-2813441.aspx

Archived