Twin Squads for March Friendlies

Gordopolis

Scott Arfield maybe in with a shout? Having another good season with Burnley from what I've read.

Why though? He's never going to be anywhere good enough to be a starter, he is quite rightfully miles down the pecking order.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has jack harper played at all with Brighton? They've nosedived big time the last couple of months but haven't been keeping an eye on them

Can't say I'm great at keeping up with the championship but I did find this. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jack-harper/profil/spieler/147524

Hopefully he can turn into our next big thing. It'd be worth getting him in the squad and get him blooded early before he realises glorious failure isn't what it's cracked up to be and decides to play for Spain instead.

Scott Arfield maybe in with a shout? Having another good season with Burnley from what I've read.

Tempted to add but not sure who I'd leave out?

ETA: actually I'm talking p*sh - there's no limit on the numbers here (or maybe there is, but Strachan hasn't revealed how big/small/unique each squad will be) - so have added Arfield.

Why though? He's never going to be anywhere good enough to be a starter

Perhaps, but with there essentially being two different squads for these games, which is pretty unique, then I'd like to think he's in consideration at least, I'm not suggesting he should actually be called up. He's unlucky in the fact that the midfield is probably Scotland's strongest area though.

He's having another very good season at a good level - he scored a cracker again tonight - and would appear to be reaching his peak right now and is worth a thought. There's a fair few in that list who I would also say aren't good enough to be regular starters. It looks as though he's considering another international side anyway, so it might not matter in the end.

Perhaps, but with there essentially being two different squads for these games, which is pretty unique, then I'd like to think he's in consideration at least, I'm not suggesting he should actually be called up. He's unlucky in the fact that the midfield is probably Scotland's strongest area though.

He's having another very good season at a good level - he scored a cracker again tonight - and would appear to be reaching his peak right now and is worth a thought. There's a fair few in that list who I would also say aren't good enough to be regular starters. It looks as though he's considering another international side anyway, so it might not matter in the end.

I'd just consider it a waste to call up players who aren't ever actually going to benefit Scotland in any way, Craig Bryson was tearing the championship up and looked like a lost boy at international level.

So WGS is to pick two separate squads for the March friendlies. As stated elsewhere, I think this is a good approach. Fringe players get a run out and everyone knows it is an audition for a place in the next qualifying campaign so there should be a bit of edge to both fixtures.

But how do you think Strachan will divide his squads? One 'A' squad and a fringe/'B' squad? Or a mix of first picks and fringe players in each?

Here's the players I reckon he'll consider across the two games:

Gordon (should he be first pick?)

Marshall (should he be first pick?)

Bain (does he look international standard?)

McGregor (is he in decline?)

Hanley

Martin

Robertson

Hutton (should he be replaced?)

Paterson (is he even close to international level yet?)

Tierney (ditto)

Berra

Reynolds

Greer (is he past it?)

Shinnie

Whittaker

Morrison

Fletcher

Brown

Mulgrew

Dorrans

Anya

Ritchie

Armstrong

Forrest

Mackay-Steven

Maloney

McLean

Jack

Russell

McArthur

Bannan

Gauld (does he look like he's close to breaking through?)

Phillips

Fraser

McGregor

Snodgrass

Arfield

Fletcher

Naismith

McCormack

Rhodes (can he be used to good effect?)

Martin

Griffiths

Cummings

May (out for the season)

Watt

Any obvious ones I missed?

ETA: added suggestions (made below) into the above list in bold.

Ross Wallace?

On decent form for Sheff Wed.

Jamie Murphy?

Liam Palmer of Sheff Wed looks like he has been doing decent, along with Bannan. Liam Cooper at Leeds as well. Both Palmer and Cooper only 24, Palmer can play right back and centre mid where as Cooper can play centye half and left back. Think we should get guys like them in the squad and some experience, defenders are our issue going forward in the next 3 or 4 years, so getting fresh blood in is a must. I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of:

Gordon

Marshall

Bain

McGregor

Hutton

Patterson

Palmer

Greer

Hanley

Martin

Berra

Cooper

Shinnie

Tierney

Robertson

Whitttaker

Fletcher

Brown

Morrison

McArthur

McLean

Bannan

Ritchie

Armstrong

Jack

Nicholson

Forrest

Phillips

Anya

Gauld

McGregor

Snodgrass

Fraser

Griffiths

Fletcher

Rhodes

McCormack

Naismith

Cummings

Martin

Watt

There is also the likes of Jason Holt, Andy Halliday, Michael O'Hallaron, Danny Wilson, Liam Henderson etc that in the next few years could possibly be playing at the same level as the likes of Armstrong, Mackay-Stevens, Scott Allan, Kieran Tierney etc.

Andy Halliday :lol: :lol:

Aye great laugh, a player that could probably get int a squad for a team that have qualified for the European Championships and we haven't.....

Also I said "could possibly be playing at the same level" as other players who other posters have mentioned.

he can name all the squads he wants, we all know his love children Alan Hutton and Steven Fletcher will start both matches regardless of whether they actually have a club and or are playing any sort of club football.

Archived