Twin Squads for March Friendlies

Gordopolis

Just watched football league tonight for the first time.

First game Burnley, top of the Championship. Win again today, playing well, six wins in a row. Almost certain to be back in the EPL next season. Arfield and Boyd starting every week.

Neither of them can get in a 32 man Scotland squad though. Arfield is behind the likes of McGinn and McLean FS :lol:

Arfield has had the kind of career both of them are dreaming of.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the problem might be that we will have no players at all playing in the top league in England next season

Hardly. Morrison and Fletcher at West Brom. Ritchie at Bournemouth. Bardsley and Adam at Stoke. McArthur at Palace. Anya at Watford. If Norwich stay up, Martin, Whittaker, Dorrans and Naismith. At least two of Burnley, Hull, Brighton and Middlesbrough likely to go up so several of Boyd, Arfield, Gilkes, McGregor, Maloney, Snodgrass, Greer and Rhodes.

Just watched football league tonight for the first time.

First game Burnley, top of the Championship. Win again today, playing well, six wins in a row. Almost certain to be back in the EPL next season. Arfield and Boyd starting every week.

Neither of them can get in a 32 man Scotland squad though. Arfield is behind the likes of McGinn and McLean FS :lol:

Arfield has had the kind of career both of them are dreaming of.

Arfield has played one season in the premier league struggled to get a game for Huddersfield in league one at times. He also got relegated from the spl in his time at Falkirk. I'm sure McGinn probably dreams of higher ambitions than that. George Boyd is 30 years old and again has played most of his football at championship level or lower.

Fair enough if they were youngsters and had a chance of pushing their way into the team but I just can't see it at their age

I have sympathy with the view that things like the granny rule devalue international football. If I had my way I'd make at least 5 years residency the only way to be eligible to play for that country.

I don't have it my way though, so I'm happy enough to accept whatever quality players come our way. What I don't like, though, is the wining and dining of mediocre players from elsewhere to try to convince them to play for us. It's just not necessary.

So someone born abroad to Scottish parents and raised to consider themselves Scottish shouldn't qualify to play for us?

Arfield has played one season in the premier league struggled to get a game for Huddersfield in league one at times. He also got relegated from the spl in his time at Falkirk. I'm sure McGinn probably dreams of higher ambitions than that. George Boyd is 30 years old and again has played most of his football at championship level or lower.

Fair enough if they were youngsters and had a chance of pushing their way into the team but I just can't see it at their age

Arfields only 27, could easily have five years in the squad. I cannot believe him and Cairney were overlooked.

Arfields only 27, could easily have five years in the squad. I cannot believe him and Cairney were overlooked.

Arfield isn't good enough. Much better to introduce young players with more potential. McGinn could be a really top player - he's got physical presence and ability.

I have to say I thought he was older than that. I'm actually a fan of his, I just thought he was nearer 30. I've always found his exclusion puzzling just because of his versatility, he can pretty much play anywhere in midfield or just behind the striker. I don't think he will ever be first choice though.

Arfield isn't good enough. Much better to introduce young players with more potential. McGinn could be a really top player - he's got physical presence and ability.

McGinn was part of a side relegated from the Premiership and has spent the season playing for a side third in the Championship. Theres absolutely no chance hes more deserving of a call up than Arfield and Cairney. For all this hype and bluster, McGinn isn't ever going to be anything better than a lower end EPL player at the very best, while Cairney especially could be more. 

McGinn has better physique and presence than Cairney with comparable ability. He also seems to have leadership qualities. No contest.

Cairney is miles ahead of McGinn on the ball, and off it. Its embarrassing how highly McGinns being rated, as hes incredibly fucking average.

The Scottish Championship is an atrocious standard.

Strachan is looking for a payoff with picking players from that league.

I agree with that. Kenny Miller is a stand out player at this level. He's been the best player I've seen against Morton this season. And no one in their right mind would be looking for him to be recalled.

John McGinn spends his afternoon being ragdolled about by Jackson Irvine, further highlighting the complete joke his call up is.

I agree with that. Kenny Miller is a stand out player at this level. He's been the best player I've seen against Morton this season. And no one in their right kind would be looking for him to be recalled.

Well that's a daft comparison. The idea is that McGinn has the potential to play at a much higher level so will be involved in the future.

Pretty standard to be honest.

Well that's a daft comparison. The idea is that McGinn has the potential to play at a much higher level so will be involved in the future.

Pretty standard to be honest.

Then involve him in the future. His place is with the u21s right now.

John McGinn spends his afternoon being ragdolled about by Jackson Irvine, further highlighting the complete joke his call up is.

You're being a bit unkind.   Denmark /  Czechs won't exactly be man-marking him; plus I thought he had a few nice moments in the first half.   He's raw but clearly with ability.   Reminds me a little of Stephen Pearson breaking through at Motherwell.  

Archived