Twin Squads for March Friendlies

Gordopolis

So WGS is to pick two separate squads for the March friendlies. As stated elsewhere, I think this is a good approach. Fringe players get a run out and everyone knows it is an audition for a place in the next qualifying campaign so there should be a bit of edge to both fixtures.

But how do you think Strachan will divide his squads? One 'A' squad and a fringe/'B' squad? Or a mix of first picks and fringe players in each?

Here's the players I reckon he'll consider across the two games:

Gordon (should he be first pick?)

Marshall (should he be first pick?)

Bain (does he look international standard?)

McGregor (is he in decline?)

Hanley

Martin

Robertson

Hutton (should he be replaced?)

Paterson (is he even close to international level yet?)

Tierney (ditto)

Berra

Reynolds

Greer (is he past it?)

Shinnie

Whittaker

Barry Douglas (got to be worth a look seeing as he's 'cracked' Europe - i.e. not come scuttling home after a few months - at a decent level)

Morrison

Fletcher

Brown

Mulgrew

Dorrans

Anya

Ritchie

Armstrong

Forrest

Mackay-Steven

Maloney

McLean

Jack

Russell

McArthur

Bannan

Gauld (does he look like he's close to breaking through?)

Phillips

Fraser

McGregor

Snodgrass
Arfield

Christie

Allan (that's just being silly)

Fletcher

Naismith

McCormack

Rhodes (can he be used to good effect?)

Martin

Griffiths

Cummings

May (out for the season)

Watt

Any obvious ones I missed?

ETA: added suggestions (made below) into the above list in bold.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So WGS is to pick two separate squads for the March friendlies. As stated elsewhere, I think this is a good approach. Fringe players get a run out and everyone knows it is an audition for a place in the next qualifying campaign so there should be a bit of edge to both fixtures.

But how do you think Strachan will divide his squads? One 'A' squad and a fringe/'B' squad? Or a mix of first picks and fringe players in each?

Here's the 40 players I reckon he'll consider across the two games:

Hanley

Martin

Robertson

Tierney (ditto)

Berra

Reynolds

Greer (is he past it?)

Shinnie

Whittaker

Morrison

Fletcher

Brown

Mulgrew

Dorrans

Anya

Ritchie

Armstrong

Forrest

Mackay-Steven

Maloney

McLean

Jack

Russell

McArthur

Bannan

Fletcher

Naismith

McCormack

Martin

Griffiths

Cummings

May

Watt

I think Stevie May is a bit of a long shot considering he's out for the rest of the season.

Matt Phillips surely? If he's fit that is.

With all the bluster going on just now, I'd imagine Michael O'Halloran will have a chance. Calum McGregor seems to be ahead of GMS at Celtic at the moment, so I'd guess him as well.

McGregor has fair hit a run of form and has stood out in some shite celtix performances recently. Ditto Tierney - would imagine they're both in with a shot.

Dunno how Marshall has been at Cardiff but unless he's been honking I'd imagine he's put a bit of distance between himself and Gordon this season who's not covered himself in glory in the big games thus far. Bain looks promising so if he stays on track then he'll be in course to be our number one once Marshall and Gordon retire. Don't see the need for McGregor anymore. We have our two first choice keepers and Bain as the young understudy.

Will be good to hopefully see a lot of new faces in the team. Time to start fading out some of ones too methinks....

As someone who sees Scott Bain most weeks then I'd say he is good enough for international level. I wouldn't pick him ahead of Marshall or Gordon though but if have him as third choice as McGregor seems to be in decline. Many might think I'm being biased here but Bain is destined for the top.

Here's the 40 players I reckon he'll consider across the two games:

Hanley

Martin

Robertson

Tierney (ditto)

Berra

Reynolds

Greer (is he past it?)

Shinnie

Whittaker

Morrison

Fletcher

Brown

Mulgrew

Dorrans

Anya

Ritchie

Armstrong

Forrest

Mackay-Steven

Maloney

McLean

Jack

Russell

McArthur

Bannan

Fletcher

Naismith

McCormack

Martin

Griffiths

Cummings

May

Watt

Can't disagree with much but think Ryan Fraser is an absolute certainty for one of the squads and on current form will be a starter come next qualifying campaign.

Is forty players the confirmed amount of players to be used?

I had assumed he'd just pick a slightly bigger squad than usual (maybe 27/28 players) and then split it between the two games, with a few players sitting on the bench in the other game just in case. No point in calling up utter duffers just for the sake of it.

I had assumed he'd just pick a slightly bigger squad than usual (maybe 27/28 players) and then split it between the two games, with a few players sitting on the bench in the other game just in case. No point in calling up utter duffers just for the sake of it.

Perhaps - no point in throwing away ranking points by fielding a totally untried XI. He hasn't mentioned anything about numbers specifically, so it'll be interesting to see how he does it.

I think Stevie May is a bit of a long shot considering he's out for the rest of the season.

Ah crap - wondered what had happened to him. I thought he had just fallen into the PNE reserves.

Rather annoying and somewhat predictable that he has gone from a 1 in 2 almost complete forward (pace, power, hold-up play, could finish from anywhere - exactly what Scotland needs) up here to an utter no mark reserve in the Championship. He was scoring and playing well against Celtic and the better sides up here, so I don't think it's as simple as 'he's rubbish'. Wonder what is missing from his game?

6 sub appearances at hibs and done nothing of note. Think we can safely close the book on him.

Has jack harper played at all with Brighton? They've nosedived big time the last couple of months but haven't been keeping an eye on them

Now, am I missing a trick? Why don't Scotland play two crap teams so that even with a split squad, we'll win both games? As it is, we'll lose both. I don't get it.

Perhaps Strachan is weighing up the risks: play two crap teams and what do we really learn? play these two decent opponents and it'll be a stern test for these guys who people are calling for like Armstrong etc - best to find out now if they're up to it, even at the risk of losing the games and the associated rankings points (we have to try out these guys at some point).

That said I would maybe have opted for a stuffy but definitely beatable opponent - a Georgia type side.

Bannan had signed a new 3 and a half year contract at Wednesday. Seems to be having a great season so far with them. Had no idea he was there til I seen his goal at the weekend. Maybe he'll finally start to fulfil that potential. Still young

Archived