Motherwell v ICT - Scottish Cup 5th round

MikeyWellFan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy to get a home tie here but if ICT progress as expected then it will be a very tough match indeed.

Hopefully the Binos pull off a shock in the replay and then crumble to a 6-0 massacre at Fir Park.

Lanarkshire's finest for the cup.

^^ this!

I fancy us to win this actually, Yes inverness beat us earlier in the season but McGhee was tinkering looking for his best team, but now I think he knows our best team and we are better equipped now for this game so i'm fairly confident we would beat any of them. Inverness only managed one shot on target on Saturday which doesn't sound too promising but I expect to be too strong in the replay.

It'll be a tough game I'd think but if it is ICT then looking back at that game a couple of months ago their 1st was a re-take of a debatable penalty, 2nd was a deflection and 3rd was a legit worldy. They all count but we've improved since then and our home form has been pretty decent.

Also, we were without Lasley in that game and were playing a flat 442 which hasn't been our most effective system.

When it comes down to it as draws go it could have been a lot worse.

It's not the worst draw we could have had but it's nowhere near the best either. Inverness - and it will be them - are a tough side to beat and pumped us with ease at Fir Park in November. They also have beaten us in the two previous Scottish Cup meetings between the sides, both times when they were in the (old) 1st division. But they aren't miles ahead of us in terms of quality and it's a winnable tie for us so long as we are up for it on the day and show the character and will to win that we never did under McCall in cup games.

I'd put Inverness as favourites to win, on paper at least, but we have a good chance of reaching the Quarters here.

It's not the worst draw we could have had but it's nowhere near the best either. Inverness - and it will be them - are a tough side to beat and pumped us with ease at Fir Park in November. They also have beaten us in the two previous Scottish Cup meetings between the sides, both times when they were in the (old) 1st division. But they aren't miles ahead of us in terms of quality and it's a winnable tie for us so long as we are up for it on the day and show the character and will to win that we never did under McCall in cup games.

I'd put Inverness as favourites to win, on paper at least, but we have a good chance of reaching the Quarters here.

Sorry no one answered my question.Can you answer it?

It was 4-1 to Annan but I fail to see the relevance. Inverness are a better side than Hamilton and they will have home advantage. If there was going to be an upset in that tie it would have happened at the weekend there.

It was 4-1 to Annan but I fail to see the relevance. Inverness are a better side than Hamilton and they will have home advantage. If there was going to be an upset in that tie it would have happened at the weekend there.
That could well be true and obviously inverness are favourites.But they haven't beaten us yet.

I still have nightmares about Barry Wilson lobbing Gordon Marshall from about 40 yards the last time we played Inverness at Fir Park in the cup.

Tricky tie but one we're capable of winning, though I'm sure Inverness are thinking the exact same thing.

That was a horrendous day that. A typical Motherwell bottle job in front of a hopeful and large - thanks to reduced ticket prices I'm sure - crowd in a Cup match. We went into that match unbeaten in something like four matches, they were in the 1st division yet they turned us over thanks to a ridiculous goal in the fifth minute. After that we huffed and puffed and never looked like getting back In it. Considering there was a semi final place at stake and we let ourselves down so badly, it really was one of those times when you left thinking, what's the point?

Anyway that was then and this is now and we've got to fancy our chances at home, but it will be one tough match.

If I remember rightly, after the goal did they not literally play about 7 at the back?

And I mean literally in the real sense...not the Jamie Redknapp version.

Archived