Early round shocks and memorable matches

forever_blue

As far as I know this is the only time a non-League club has got a result against a top flight side:

Thought that was just a normal result until I realised it was 1992 when Caledonian were highland league.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

27/1/2001

ICT v Ayr Utd. Scottish Cup.

Ayr led 3-0 at ht through Annand, Campbell and Wilson. Teale missed a chance for 4-0 only 3 mins after the break.

ICT scored 4 goals in 18 minutes (Sheerin, Mann, Xausa, Wyness) to win 4-3.

This was in the great days of Steve Paterson's 8 years at ICT. Even at ht the talk amongst the ICT fans was whether they could still do it.

That same season they beat Ayr 7-3 in a league game.

You also knocked us out the cup in the game following le guens sacking , remember being absoloute,y gutted that day

So you should, Jim Hamilton and Simmons scored FFS.

Utterly glorious. I remember the result but have never seen the highlights 8) I don't remember Mr Ferguson of Giffnock, I assume he got his jotters from the SFA shortly after this match? ;)

Sad that Davie Cooper, Bobby Smith and Norrie McCathie are no longer with us :(

The 20th Anniversary of McCathie passing away is today.

2001/02 - Hearts 1 ICT 3

Probably my favourite game of all time, a truly stunning performance capped by three magnificent goals. Tokely pinging in a half-volley from 20 yards for the first, Wyness shuffling and rifling home for the second and David Bagan breaking away and turning the Hearts defence inside out for the third. A glorious day, great support. Just magnificent.

Possibly my favourite too. In the previous round Hearts beat County rather easily, 2-1. Two of us went along as our game at Arbroath was off. We sat among a decent County support, maybe 1500, but they didn't make much noise.

Back in the car we heard the draw - Hearts v ICT.

County probably did us a favour as Hearts maybe underestimated ICT by thinking they would be just as easy as the wee team. ICT took about 2500 fans who blew the roof off the place in the pouring rain. Missed a great chance for 4-1 as well.

Never a penalty!

Aye, Bill Crombie gave it, must have been :lol:

Well taken though...

Charlie Christie and Iain Polworth, the two players involved in the equaliser, are the dads of Ryan Christie and Liam Polworth of ICT this season.

We drew with Turriff a couple of years ago, but won the replay at Cappelow comfortably. That ought to have been our big scare against non league opposition.

Then we got Spartans away last season.....

I was at St Mirren v ICT that day. You were beating Spartans till late on.

Waiting for the train at St James, the St Mirren fans knew we would cuff them in the replay so the only bright spot in their day was you losing 2 late goals at Spartans :lol:

We beat Clyde 7-1 when we were in the third division and they were in the league above us. Although it must be said we still had a full professional side from the first division a year earlier, so it can't really be called a shock.

That's probably one of the worst Clyde teams I've ever seen. Definitely not a shock. The tie itself was quite remarkable though - abandoned twice at Broadwood due to fog, postponed on numerous occasions due to a frozen pitch and when we finally managed to play the 90 minutes it finished 1-1 and needed a replay :lol:.

The aforementioned Celtic game is undeniably our biggest shock. The 10 year anniversary is actually today and not yesterday as Bully Oui Villa alluded to earlier. I mind HJ on here saying that it wasn't as big a shock as it's made out to be because we were in the 1st Division at the time, but when you consider we had two players signed on at the start of the season and had to hold open trials just to get a starting 11 on the pitch I'd say it's a pretty remarkable result. The fact it was Roy Keane's eagerly anticipated debut as well made it all the sweeter.

County putting 9 (nine) past Stirling Albion in 2010 was memorable. Garry Wood, of all people, bagged a hat-trick. The two previous rounds saw County win 5-1 (Berwick) and 4-0 (Inverurie).

Haven't seen any of the cup shocks of old but from my time: coming back from 2 - 0 down and then 3 - 2 down in the last minute to beat a Premier League Dunfermline side is probably my favourite game from my time supporting Airdrie.

Another great Scottish Cup game was our two ties against Beith a few years ago. They should have cuffed us in the first game before we eventually beat them 4 - 3 (we were 4 - 0 up) at their place during a midweek afternoon. An enjoyable day out and cup tie.

Beating Hearts on penalties was another one although that was in the League Cup rather than the Scottish Cup.

As far as I know this is the only time a non-League club has got a result against a top flight side:

Saints won the replay 3-0 though!! Did Gary McGinnis not score that night?? Caley brought about 3000 down for that I'm sure, it was an unbelievable support for a non-league team on a midweek evening.

Old East end park was one of my favourite grounds, looks brilliant with just under 20000 packed in. We played a scottish cup semi final there in 1991 v Dundee United with over 18,000 at it.

Our worst cup result overall would possibly be 0-1 v Stranraer in the diddy cup final played in a monsoon (1994 ish??) One of the worst scottish cup results I can remember was getting pumped 4-0 at Stenhousemuir in about 1995. They then went on to knock out aberdeen before succumbing to Hibs in the quarters.... Probably one of Stennys most embarrassing results to be fair :)

The bigger team always wins a replay.

Aye, tell that to Alloa...

Aye that was a good Alloa side! We had Dundee Utd beaten in the next round, 2-0 up, when our goalie got injured and we had to put a midfielder in goals. Utd came back to draw 2-2.

The 1921 Alloa side certainty didn't believe the bigger team wins the replay. They were non league and beat top flight Falkirk in the 4th game, then top flight Clydebank in the 3rd game. They then drew 0-0 at Ibrox. Finally beaten in the replay, again at Ibrox. We did get our revenge in the Petrofac semi 93 years later.

We've suffered a few down the years too. 5-3 defeat at Spartans was a low point. We were beaten by Ross County and Caley in their Highland League days. The worst I think was 1-0 defeat to Tarff Rovers in late 60's. Park was compared to a farmers field.

Old East end park was one of my favourite grounds, looks brilliant with just under 20000 packed in. We played a scottish cup semi final there in 1991 v Dundee United with over 18,000 at it.

Wasn't aware they hosted semi final games at EEP?

Roon ye.

Ah, sweet memories.

Archived