Early round shocks and memorable matches

forever_blue

Our biggest shock result of the last 30 years would be beating Rangers (yes, even 'that' Rangers) at Ibrox last season.

I wasn't at that one, so beating Aberdeen 1-0 at Pittodrie in the 2009/2010 season, with a hastily patches together defence, due to loads of injuries, is the biggest shock result for Rovers that I've witnessed.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't televised.

Well I can definitely remember watching the highlights at the time , was this not about the same time Inverness knocked out celtic again, although that might have been the next round

Infact bit of research shows Inverness infact knocked celtic out in the quarters that year

No I am not disputing it was a memorable result and score line , I just always wrongly assumed that Hamilton were a division below us at the time untill I read differently a few years back , game took place more than half a decade before I was born so don't know the details regarding the shock factor from it

If I recall correctly Accies were detached at the bottom of the Premier and Chris Woods had just broken the British record for minutes without conceding so it was a shock scoreline just as it was when Dunfermline knocked Rangers out a year later while in the middle of a run of 8 league games without scoring and had more than a shade of luck getting past Ayr in the previous round.

Dave McKellar was on the winning side in both games incidentally.

No I am not disputing it was a memorable result and score line , I just always wrongly assumed that Hamilton were a division below us at the time untill I read differently a few years back , game took place more than half a decade before I was born so don't know the details regarding the shock factor from it

Rangers had a team of Woods, Roberts, Munro, Souness, McPherson, Butcher, Nicholl, Fleck, Durrant, McCoist and Cooper while Accies had a team with Benny Brazil and John Pelosi in it.

We also stopped Woods breaking the British record for time conceded without losing a goal.

If I recall correctly Accies were detached at the bottom of the Premier and Chris Woods had just broken the British record for minutes without conceding so it was a shock scoreline just as it was when Dunfermline knocked Rangers out a year later while in the middle of a run of 8 league games without scoring and had more than a shade of luck getting past Ayr in the previous round.

Dave McKellar was on the winning side in both games incidentally.

You also knocked us out the cup in the game following le guens sacking , remember being absoloute,y gutted that day

The biggest shock in Scottish cup history has to be Berwick Rangers 1-0 Rangers just for the fact it was part time against one of the most successful Rangers side in history (who reached the european cup winners cup final).

A memorable match and a cup shock I remember for all the wrong reasons is when second division (third tier) Alloa beat us 2-1 in the replay when we were Premier League bad memories :( especially after we scored in the last minute at the recs to force the replay in the first place.

Another memorable match would be the Celtic-Rangers match where Celtic won 1-0 and Ally McCoist and Neil Lennon were almost fighting and El Hadji Diouf was wanting to fight the world. That tie in General was memorable even the original game was excellent.

The biggest shock in Scottish cup history has to be Berwick Rangers 1-0 Rangers just for the fact it was part time against one of the most successful Rangers side in history (who reached the european cup winners cup final).

A memorable match and a cup shock I remember for all the wrong reasons is when second division (third tier) Alloa beat us 2-1 in the replay when we were Premier League bad memories :( especially after we scored in the last minute at the recs to force the replay in the first place.

Another memorable match would be the Celtic-Rangers match where Celtic won 1-0 and Ally McCoist and Neil Lennon were almost fighting and El Hadji Diouf was wanting to fight the world. That tie in General was memorable even the original game was excellent.

Was at both those old firm games , the one at ibrox was a genuine decent game of football , the one at parkhead was just more or less 90 minutes of madness , most of the old firm games were good fun that year ,

apart from the ones we got beat ...

This was just superb and got me hooked on the Pars after a few years of getting reluctantly dragged along. The old East End Park at bursting point, Rangers packed with all the big names. John Brown's meltdown starting at 3.56 and continuing for a full two minutes is a thing of beauty. It was right in front of me in the main stand. His breakdown continued in the dressing room as he trashed the place. You could hear the crashing, shouting and shattering coming up through the stand. Diving header at 6.14 has never been bettered.

See the goal at Post #3.

Here is every time ICT have beaten a team from a higher division in the cup

1995/96 - East Fife 1 ICT 1: Caley win on penalties

Stenhousemuir 0 ICT 1

I was at the Stenhousmuir game and it was considered a shock. Brian Thomson scored with a low shot cut in from the right. there was a big crowd there, I think a lot of Stenny fans thought they'd be getting into the quarters. We went on to play Rangers at Tannadice and lost 3-0 to a team featuring Gascoigne, Laudrup etc.

1996/97 - Stranraer 0 ICT 0, Caley win on penalties.

I was at this one as well, I can't really remember much about it.

1999/2000 - Celtic 1 ICT 3

I was at this one, a historic match that, looking back, basically saved our club. The cash and the profile gave us a massive boost. The highlights are above but don't really show how dominant we were and how easily we won. Charlie Christie absolutely ruled the midfield.

2001/02 - Hearts 1 ICT 3

Probably my favourite game of all time, a truly stunning performance capped by three magnificent goals. Tokely pinging in a half-volley from 20 yards for the first, Wyness shuffling and rifling home for the second and David Bagan breaking away and turning the Hearts defence inside out for the third. A glorious day, great support. Just magnificent.

2002/03 - ICT 1 Celtic 0

A far better Celtic team than a few years before, this backs to the wall win took us into the cup semi-finals for the first time ever. We scored with basically our only chance and were then pummelled. Celtic rested a few players after beating Liverpool in the UEFA Cup that week but were still formidable.

2003/04 - Motherwell 0 ICT 1

I missed this as my cousin was getting married that day. Barry Wilson scored from 35 yards.

2009-10 - ICT 2 Motherwell 0

Our year-long loan back to the First saw us knock out Motherwell - goals by Bulvitis (where is he now?) and Dougie Imrie, in his last game for ICT, gave us a comfortable victory.

Here is every time ICT have beaten a team from a higher division in the cup

1995/96 - East Fife 1 ICT 1: Caley win on penalties

Stenhousemuir 0 ICT 1

I was at the Stenhousmuir game and it was considered a shock. Brian Thomson scored with a low shot cut in from the right. there was a big crowd there, I think a lot of Stenny fans thought they'd be getting into the quarters. We went on to play Rangers at Tannadice and lost 3-0 to a team featuring Gascoigne, Laudrup etc.

1996/97 - Stranraer 0 ICT 0, Caley win on penalties.

I was at this one as well, I can't really remember much about it.

1999/2000 - Celtic 1 ICT 3

I was at this one, a historic match that, looking back, basically saved our club. The cash and the profile gave us a massive boost. The highlights are above but don't really show how dominant we were and how easily we won. Charlie Christie absolutely ruled the midfield.

2001/02 - Hearts 1 ICT 3

Probably my favourite game of all time, a truly stunning performance capped by three magnificent goals. Tokely pinging in a half-volley from 20 yards for the first, Wyness shuffling and rifling home for the second and David Bagan breaking away and turning the Hearts defence inside out for the third. A glorious day, great support. Just magnificent.

2002/03 - ICT 1 Celtic 0

A far better Celtic team than a few years before, this backs to the wall win took us into the cup semi-finals for the first time ever. We scored with basically our only chance and were then pummelled. Celtic rested a few players after beating Liverpool in the UEFA Cup that week but were still formidable.

2003/04 - Motherwell 0 ICT 1

I missed this as my cousin was getting married that day. Barry Wilson scored from 35 yards.

2009-10 - ICT 2 Motherwell 0

Our year-long loan back to the First saw us knock out Motherwell - goals by Bulvitis (where is he now?) and Dougie Imrie, in his last game for ICT, gave us a comfortable victory.

Aye Inverness certainly do have a colourfull history in the cup , do you know if there is any footage of the 95 game v rangers available , wouldn't mind watching that ?

The Ross County game in Toby's post was a cracker. We all stood behind the goal huddled together like penguins in the freezing conditions. A Ton fan jumped the wall at half time to kick a ball back to the subs, and was lifted for it. He made a point of stomping in each puddle the stewards took him near, drenching them on his way to a sharp harp.

Like Cowboy trolling County by thanking "a local club" for the use of their facilities (ICT) in preparation for the game.

Pars run to the final in 2007 was full of upsets. We beat Rangers, Hearts and Hibs, none of whom we were expected to get past. Watching Stephen Kenny's absolutely shite Dunfermline side go 3-0 up against Rangers was surreal to say the least. We still tried to chuck it away of course. Scott Wilson's last-gasp header against the Jambos and McIntyre's chipped penalty in the semi-replay; majestic.

We've only played non league sides a few times ones I remember are when we beat Spartans 4-0 in 2004 and when we beat Irvine Meadow 6-0 in 2011.

We beat Clyde 7-1 when we were in the third division and they were in the league above us. Although it must be said we still had a full professional side from the first division a year earlier, so it can't really be called a shock.

Also we've recorded our record victory in the Scottish cup in 2012 against Stranraer 8-0 so some happy memories for me in the Scottish.

This was just superb and got me hooked on the Pars after a few years of getting reluctantly dragged along. The old East End Park at bursting point, Rangers packed with all the big names. John Brown's meltdown starting at 3.56 and continuing for a full two minutes is a thing of beauty. It was right in front of me in the main stand. His breakdown continued in the dressing room as he trashed the place. You could hear the crashing, shouting and shattering coming up through the stand. Diving header at 6.14 has never been bettered.

Utterly glorious. I remember the result but have never seen the highlights 8) I don't remember Mr Ferguson of Giffnock, I assume he got his jotters from the SFA shortly after this match? ;)

Sad that Davie Cooper, Bobby Smith and Norrie McCathie are no longer with us :(

Utterly glorious. I remember the result but have never seen the highlights 8) I don't remember Mr Ferguson of Giffnock, I assume he got his jotters from the SFA shortly after this match? ;)

Sad that Davie Cooper, Bobby Smith and Norrie McCathie are no longer with us :(

They look so young - I remember them being old codgers at the time but now it's me that looks old and they are forever young. I love Brown's sheer disbelief at getting sent off. All he did was elbow a couple of Dunfermline nobodies in the head.

Archived