Sons versus queens

optimistic

Meh vs meh. Meh - meh draw. Meh wins the meh replay by meh-meh.

Disappointing we no longer have Scott 'Meh' Brown who would surely have excelled in such a fixture.

Anyway, Queens fans, Willie Gibson's just left us, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rock up at Palmerston again.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Disappointing we no longer have Scott 'Meh' Brown who would surely have excelled in such a fixture.

Anyway, Queens fans, Willie Gibson's just left us, I wouldn't be surprised to see him rock up at Palmerston again.

Gibson signing for Stranaer but hopefully have a new signing for Sat.

Normally i would have taken the points before a cup win but since we,ve got naff all else to play for i,ll take the cup win thanks. Iknow its still possible to get 4th in the league but we wont get past the first tie even if we do.

Just get it played - it's the league game that matters more for you guys anyways!

True, but the sheer pain of watching a depleted team with absolutely no threat going forward at all wouldn't be pleasant. Unless we make a couple of signings soon I'll be hoping it's off.

Not sure how depleted we would be. Waters would be an option wide left. Gallagher or Kirkpatrick wide right or up front. The biggest issue would be right back if Taggart wasn't available and a likely bench full of under 20 players. Potential starting 11 wouldn't necessarily be miles away from previous teams.

But we undoubtedly need to strengthen. Weaknesses in our team have been clear for some time now.

Dont agree that we have little to play for in League - if w can build on the Livvy result and more importantly the performance I think we have a decent chance of 4th.

If we do happen to get there the strong probablity is that we would meet Falkik in first playoff and despite their great form and points advantage this will count for nothing and I would think that we would have a 50:50 chance of progressing.

Clearly the chance of actually getting promotion is about a 33/1 shot given the scale of the play off challenge but the format is exciting and being involved in that process is a fantastic end to the season. Going to Ibrox last season in front of a full house on live tv is arguably as good as it gets for a club of our size. I think the 4th place is a very achieveable target for us and if we get Hillson back and perhaps strengthen in window we should be bang in contention.

Not much between the teams, really. The league table shows the difference that winning the head to head games can make.

We have taken 19 points from 17 games against the other teams in the division and Dumbarton have taken 18 from 18.

The game at Palmerston could have gone either way and expect this to be the same.

One cause for optimism is that the approach against Livi looked similar to the second half v Raith. I'd rather see us play that way and not get 4th than try to borefest our way there. If we play like that and Dumbarton play like they did at Palmerston, it could be quite an entertaining game.

Not sure how depleted we would be. Waters would be an option wide left. Gallagher or Kirkpatrick wide right or up front. The biggest issue would be right back if Taggart wasn't available and a likely bench full of under 20 players. Potential starting 11 wouldn't necessarily be miles away from previous teams.

But we undoubtedly need to strengthen. Weaknesses in our team have been clear for some time now.

I don't think I could physically deal with another 90 minutes of Gal on the wing. I like the Waters idea, him wide left and Cawley on the right with Lindsay and Routledge in the middle.

We've obviously got Gaz upfront, but McCallum isn't ready, Craig hasn't looked interested and our only other possible option would be John Cunningham who has been on the bench a few times recently. No idea what sort of player he is. Maybe someone who's seen the 20s might know?

Not much between the teams, really. The league table shows the difference that winning the head to head games can make.

We have taken 19 points from 17 games against the other teams in the division and Dumbarton have taken 18 from 18.

The game at Palmerston could have gone either way and expect this to be the same.

One cause for optimism is that the approach against Livi looked similar to the second half v Raith. I'd rather see us play that way and not get 4th than try to borefest our way there. If we play like that and Dumbarton play like they did at Palmerston, it could be quite an entertaining game.

I still don't think it's particularly fair on Fowler to accuse him of intentionally going out of his way to bore us. I think it simply relates to the fact our players aren't very good.

There were no complaints about our style of play last season when we had better players.

Considering our chances of promotion this season are minuscule I too would probably choose an exciting style of play over fourth place. It's not really that simple though is it?

I still don't think it's particularly fair on Fowler to accuse him of intentionally going out of his way to bore us. I think it simply relates to the fact our players aren't very good.

There were no complaints about our style of play last season when we had better players.

Considering our chances of promotion this season are minuscule I too would probably choose an exciting style of play over fourth place. It's not really that simple though is it?

I think there have been games this season where we have scored first then stopped attacking for the rest of the game and others where we have hardly attacked the whole game. It is difficult to know whether it is because the players aren't very good or because the manager thought they were worse than they are or maybe because he has got his formations and selections wrong or some other reason.

The second half v Raith is probably the first time this season that I actually enjoyed watching us playing. I wasn't at Livi, but from reports and the highlights, it looked similar. Surely if the players weren't any good, they would be incapable of playing attacking football at all?

I don't know whether Fowler has intentionally tried to bore us or whether he has done it by accident, but up until very recently, the games have been terrible to watch. The players haven't changed, therefore the logical conclusion is that the approach has. I could be wrong, though

Palmy - miniscule chance of Play Off?

You honestly see either Raith or Morton as much better than us? I think you must have been watching a different League to me?

We havent played anywhere near our potential and yet any decent run from now would put us in with a good chance.

Palmy - miniscule chance of Play Off?

You honestly see either Raith or Morton as much better than us? I think you must have been watching a different League to me?

We havent played anywhere near our potential and yet any decent run from now would put us in with a good chance.

Read it again. I said minuscule chance of promotion.

I think there have been games this season where we have scored first then stopped attacking for the rest of the game and others where we have hardly attacked the whole game. It is difficult to know whether it is because the players aren't very good or because the manager thought they were worse than they are or maybe because he has got his formations and selections wrong or some other reason.

The second half v Raith is probably the first time this season that I actually enjoyed watching us playing. I wasn't at Livi, but from reports and the highlights, it looked similar. Surely if the players weren't any good, they would be incapable of playing attacking football at all?

I don't know whether Fowler has intentionally tried to bore us or whether he has done it by accident, but up until very recently, the games have been terrible to watch. The players haven't changed, therefore the logical conclusion is that the approach has. I could be wrong, though

What you've described there is inconsistent form, I don't see any particular pattern. Inconsistency is exactly what you'd expect from a squad that was overhauled so dramatically and replaced with players of inferior quality.

Of course there have been failed experiments from the manager along the way (Brownlie at RB, Kidd at "centre forward", and Heffernan spring to mind), I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to sabotage us and make us worse though. Managers make mistakes the same way players do.

If our season has turned around, forgive me for getting too overexcited about beating an atrocious Livi side, I don't think it's due to a change of approach. I would place the following as more likely reasons:

• The return of Dowie from injury allowing him to pair up with Higgins again
  • Restoring Kidd at RB
  • Finding a formation that allows Jacobs, Hutton and Millar all to play and which allows Millar to push forward more
  • The goalscoring form of Russell and Lyle

Barr ruled out in our match preview :( Saunders is available again though, so I'd go with:

Brown

Taggart Saunders Wright Docherty

Cawley Routledge Gallagher Lindsay Waters

Fleming

You could take out Gal and slide in either McCallum or Craig, but neither have done enough to earn a start imo. Gal has to be in central midfield as well. Not upfront, not out wide and not in the number 10 role. Central midfield where he looks comfortable and plays well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us start with:

Brown

Saunders Buchanan Wright Docherty

Gallagher Routledge Lindsay Cawley

Fleming McCallum

Unless we sign the striker of our dreams and a creative midfielder in the next 24 hours or so :(

Archived