Sons versus queens

optimistic

There is a direct relevance though to how important the League points are. The Hamilton double header was in McIntyre's season and in the first week of November when many were concerned abut the possibility of relegation and looking of our shoulders. Some possibly even harboured ambitions of promotion in what was a fairly open division before the Rangers / Hearts / Hibs arrival and saw it as three crucial points.

I doubt anyone is too concerned about the points right this second. We're not going down and whilst we may yet get 4th (whatever Northfield thinks) actually getting promotion this season is pretty unlikely as it will require us to win three playoff ties against bigger sides. With that in mind the distraction of a cup run appeals a lot more. We missed a great chance to get to Hampden last season, losing in the wind at home to Falkirk who went on to reach the final and nearly win it. It's not a massive pipe dream to suggest with a bit of luck we could get there again. Plus from my point of view the attraction of unbudgeted income is significant.

It's entirely understandable that Dumbarton fans are more concerned at this point with keeping themselves away from the bottom spots and more of them would be attracted by the three points.

All true and I'm sure it's had a bearing.

For me, the Cup would always get the vote though, regardless of how things stood in the League.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the 6 that have expressed an opinion, anyway. ;)

Well yes, I sort of thought it went without saying that I was referring to the handful of responders on here, as opposed to the entire fan base.

I find it a bit trickier to canvas their views.

Queens fans want the cup game and we want the league game. Excellent. League points every single time given the position we are in.

Queens to win both, seen as we never* score against them at home.

Hopefully have a few new faces in for this one, and it'd be nice to actually compete. Queens think they'll bring many fans?

*Good stat that, one of my absolute favourites.

I'd hope we'd bring at least 400 - we generally take a decent support for cup games.

Wouldn't be shocked if you outnumbered the home fans with that number to be honest, could be wrong, but non season ticket cup games against teams in the same league as us rarely draw impressive attendances. With it being so soon after Christmas as well I'd imagine a few people will try and save some £ by not bothering with it, not that the team did much yesterday to encourage anyone to come along :(

There's surely no way we'll play this and the league match without scoring. The dreadful Queens record must end.

A league win would be far more useful for us but if we were to win in the cup we'd doubtless draw the winner of the Livvy v Morton match.

Wouldn't be shocked if you outnumbered the home fans with that number to be honest, could be wrong, but non season ticket cup games against teams in the same league as us rarely draw impressive attendances. With it being so soon after Christmas as well I'd imagine a few people will try and save some £ by not bothering with it, not that the team did much yesterday to encourage anyone to come along :(

even if my team, win, lose or draw, I may miss a few games, but Saturdays gubbin won't put me off, we're never going to win the cup, so definitely the points are more important

Just to be a little bit different: I'd settle for a draw in the cup match, and a win in the league.

A replay would be a pain being most likely midweek and possibly postponed due to bad weather, but I have my doubts that we have the squad to go on a decent cup run and stay in the league, so a draw, a replay and a league win for me please.

Just to be a little bit different: I'd settle for a draw in the cup match, and a win in the league.

A replay would be a pain being most likely midweek and possibly postponed due to bad weather, but I have my doubts that we have the squad to go on a decent cup run and stay in the league, so a draw, a replay and a league win for me please.

No, not in the rules I'm afraid.

I've checked and each match must feature a decisive result in ninety minutes.

A replay would be a pain being most likely midweek and possibly postponed due to bad weather

Any replay would absolutely be midweek. At this stage Saturday replays arent allowed.

I think any replay would be very unlikely to be postponed. Since we moved to 3G we have had precisely no matches postponed (although we did have one abandoned two years ago for high wind).

Any replay would absolutely be midweek. At this stage Saturday replays arent allowed.

I think any replay would be very unlikely to be postponed. Since we moved to 3G we have had precisely no matches postponed (although we did have one abandoned two years ago for high wind).

According to our OS, any replay would take place on Jan 19.

Archived