Sons versus queens

optimistic

I was thinking that, Galabank is completely different to what it was, but it's still the scene of (I think) my happiest day ever as a Sons fan. I can still recite the team from that day from memory :wub:

David McEwan

Gordon Lennon Mick Dunlop Ben Gordon Paddy Boyle

Ross Forbes Ryan McStay Ross Clarke Stevie Murray

Denis Mclaughlin Derek Carcary

Happy days

Indeed.

It's a cracking town for a pre match beer or bite to eat.

Has their ground changed that much then? Never realised

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, I'm normally highly critical of some of the nonsense spouted by the Dumbarton fans at our place but unfortunately Russell deserved everything he got today. Unless of course there were any death threats or sickening personal insults thrown his way, that's not cool.

I've witnessed a fair number of football matches over the years (a number of them involving Mr Russell) but that was the most blatant, consistent attempt at cheating I've witnessed from a singular player. He succeeded in getting Saunders booked for absolutely nothing and was desperately trying to get him sent off after that. It really wasn't nice to watch.

As I mentioned previously it's a real shame he feels the need to do it because he's a great player at this level and Queens are a club I have a soft spot for. I can only assume someone had a word with him at half time because he didn't try anything like it in the 2nd half.

I genuinely believe he could've been more effective today if he decided to stay on his feet rather than throw himself to the ground at the slightest touch from a Sons player.

I did hear one ridiculous shout from the home support today and that was 'I still love you Beany' :lol:

The challenge Saunders was booked for was as clear a foul as you'll ever see! He was incredibly late and went right through Russell. There was also howls of derision from the home fans when Russell was clearly pulled back, by Gallacher I think, just inside the Dumbarton half. Again, a clear foul.

The incident in the lead up to the goal was too far way to really see at the time. If he dived, fair enough, he deserves stick for it but, as I said, the reaction of the home fans toward him was laughable at times

Was Russell really that bad today?

I certainly know that he can be guilty of falling easily and I think it's sometimes counter productive.

I also think that it's something opposition fans overstate a bit - usually ahead of games, rather than afterwards in fairness.

Any Queens fans present today with observations about Russell's 'performance', especially just before the first goal?

No, he wasnt that bad, no worse than most games. As he often does, he goes down easily, particularly when he feels contact, sometimes when he doesnt. As I said, the tackle on him when Saunders was booked was a clear foul.

In terms of performance he was poor. As SD said, the final ball from him and Oliver, in particular, was poor.

Indeed.

It's a cracking town for a pre match beer or bite to eat.

Has their ground changed that much then? Never realised

Aye, the pitch is now Astro and the terracing that used to be opposite the main stand is no more. They've also got a lovely big bit of covered terracing behind the home fans goal and the away end looks to have been raised slightly. Still an absolutely tremendous wee ground though and somewhere I'm really looking forward to visiting again at some point:

annan-athletic-fc-galabank-east-stand-14

annan-athletic-fc-galabank-club-house-en

annan-athletic-fc-galabank-north-end-143

Aye, the pitch is now Astro and the terracing that used to be opposite the main stand is no more. They've also got a lovely big bit of covered terracing behind the home fans goal and the away end looks to have been raised slightly. Still an absolutely tremendous wee ground though and somewhere I'm really looking forward to visiting again at some point:

annan-athletic-fc-galabank-east-stand-14

annan-athletic-fc-galabank-club-house-en

annan-athletic-fc-galabank-north-end-143

Nice one.

To be honest, I'd be delighted with that for Sons, minus the artificial pitch maybe.

Nice one.

To be honest, I'd be delighted with that for Sons, minus the artificial pitch maybe.

Was thinking the exact same myself, cannot stand astro pitches, but going there every week would be an absolute pleasure. That terracing behind the goal is the stuff of dreams.

To be fair, I'm normally highly critical of some of the nonsense spouted by the Dumbarton fans at our place but unfortunately Russell deserved everything he got today. Unless of course there were any death threats or sickening personal insults thrown his way, that's not cool.

I've witnessed a fair number of football matches over the years (a number of them involving Mr Russell) but that was the most blatant, consistent attempt at cheating I've witnessed from a singular player. He succeeded in getting Saunders booked for absolutely nothing and was desperately trying to get him sent off after that. It really wasn't nice to watch.

As I mentioned previously it's a real shame he feels the need to do it because he's a great player at this level and Queens are a club I have a soft spot for. I can only assume someone had a word with him at half time because he didn't try anything like it in the 2nd half.

I genuinely believe he could've been more effective today if he decided to stay on his feet rather than throw himself to the ground at the slightest touch from a Sons player.

I did hear one ridiculous shout from the home support today and that was 'I still love you Beany' :lol:

That was me!

I'm usually pretty positive in defeat, but found very little of cheer in this. It looked as if we were playing through treacle. On the odd occasion we created anything like a chance, Oliver usually booted it somewhere about 20 feet over the crossbar. The most exciting moment of the match was the floodlight bulb exploding. Well done Dumbarton, much the better team.

Was thinking the exact same myself, cannot stand astro pitches, but going there every week would be an absolute pleasure. That terracing behind the goal is the stuff of dreams.

It is a nice ground, but the main stand is a fraction of the size of yours.

We played them in the League Cup this year and took a big support as it's nearby and there was that early optimism stuff. The view from the terracing round the side of the stand was pretty poor.

You lads could certainly use something behind the goals though. Mind you, you're still in the Cup, so I'd best not be too critical. Hope you get a decent draw with a chance of progress.

Apart from when there's any kind of decent crowd the view is horrendous but lovely wee ground apart from that

He hit the deck a few times easily after that as well, but I think the bit that angered the fans about the Saunders challenge was his Luiz Suarez (v Norwich City, April 2014) reaction.He looked to be in a bit of pain, fair play, but as soon as the ball came in his direction he was straight back up and moving perfectly. If you're going to feign injury at least see it through and do it properly!

Oliver was a strange one for you lot. Lovely first touch, and good with the ball at his feet, but his final ball. Jaysus. It seemed to end up outside the ground more often than not.

I honestly don't recall him doing so. He has "dived" a lot more at other games. If there was a dive involved before Fleming scored then it was the only one I can recall. Some of the shouts at the referee from the Dumbarton end today were laughable too, particularly around the booking of Saunders. I take the point about Russell jumping back up when the ball came near him but it was a really poor challenge from Saudners and not one anyone should have any complaint about.

Our finishing was frustrating today. Other than from Millar in the last minute I can't actually recall Brown having to make a save. Millar put a couple of pot shots from distance narrowly over in the first half and Russell's curling effort after Brown flapped the ball to him didn't miss by much (but it should have been on target). Oliver though must have lashed half a dozen decent openings over the top, sometimes as you say right out of the ground. He actually played ok but his final delivery, whether shot or cross was poor all day and it cost us. Lyle never really had a sight of goal apart from when he scored.

Apart from when there's any kind of decent crowd the view is horrendous but lovely wee ground apart from that

I sometimes wish the view of the pitch at Palmerston was as bad as it is there.

It is a nice ground, but the main stand is a fraction of the size of yours.We played them in the League Cup this year and took a big support as it's nearby and there was that early optimism stuff. The view from the terracing round the side of the stand was pretty poor. You lads could certainly use something behind the goals though. Mind you, you're still in the Cup, so I'd best not be too critical. Hope you get a decent draw with a chance of progress.

I'd love us to have some sort of standing area behind either goal, even if the view wasn't great, purely for a bit of a change. Unfortunately, due to there only being one access road to the stadium, the council won't allow any stadium expansion.

Was thinking the exact same myself, cannot stand astro pitches, but going there every week would be an absolute pleasure. That terracing behind the goal is the stuff of dreams.[/quot

It's ok, we don't have a big home support, that wouldn't be an issue! I'm pretty tall as well so I'll just block everyone else's view.

I honestly don't recall him doing so. He has "dived" a lot more at other games. If there was a dive involved before Fleming scored then it was the only one I can recall. Some of the shouts at the referee from the Dumbarton end today were laughable too, particularly around the booking of Saunders. I take the point about Russell jumping back up when the ball came near him but it was a really poor challenge from Saudners and not one anyone should have any complaint about.

Our finishing was frustrating today. Other than from Millar in the last minute I can't actually recall Brown having to make a save. Millar put a couple of pot shots from distance narrowly over in the first half and Russell's curling effort after Brown flapped the ball to him didn't miss by much (but it should have been on target). Oliver though must have lashed half a dozen decent openings over the top, sometimes as you say right out of the ground. He actually played ok but his final delivery, whether shot or cross was poor all day and it cost us. Lyle never really had a sight of goal apart from when he scored.

I suppose 'dive' and 'going down easily' are two different things, diving would suggest no contact whereas Beanie always seems to wait until there's the slightest contact before going down. He does go down easily, and did a few times around Saunders and Lindsay.

Without wanting to sound all Arsene Wenger here, what were the shouts at both Beanie and the ref like? I sit in line with the penalty box so I'm almost as far away as you get from the away end, but I didn't hear anything really out of the ordinary.

It was fact Russell stayed down as if injured then jumped up when ball came to him. Clearly not hurt and then waived imaginary card at ref who bought it. Second dive to get Saunders his second yellow failed. Following another well timed tackle in the box he through himself as if to test the referee again . Five minutes into second half complaining about time wasting at a goal kick. Sorry if you disagree with me but refs need to stamp out cheats and Russell runs pretty high up the list

Archived