Ollie McBurnie

Lex

The young striker has been recalled by Swansea from his loan at Newport County today. Scored a hat trick in his debut for Newport after coming on as a sub too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35174747

With Eder being injured and Gomis woefully out of form, hopefully we will see the youngster get some EPL game time in the coming weeks. If he does he will certainly be a contender for inclusion in the senior squad for the friendlies in March.

Do we have any other young players we think might break through in the EPL between now and the end of the season?

Let's not get too excited about him yet.

Indeed. It's just there isn't much (any?) good news about the Scotland team just now. A young player potentially breaking through into the first team of a side in the EPL in the coming weeks is something positive.

Who was the last Scottish player to make his EPL debut? Has there been one since Andy Robertson at the start of last season?

Indeed. It's just there isn't much (any?) good news about the Scotland team just now. A young player potentially breaking through into the first team of a side in the EPL in the coming weeks is something positive.

Who was the last Scottish player to make his EPL debut? Has there been one since Andy Robertson at the start of last season?

I'd love to see McBurnie making an impact but with the January window just round the corner these teams will just go out and buy a new expensive foreign player.

I think it's likely McBurnie will be on the bench for Swansea on Saturday. Surely that's why they've recalled him...?

The reserve striker they've been using since Eder got injured is Modou Barrow. He's 23 and has made 19 appearances for them without scoring. He came off the bench at the weekend against West Ham.

As for buying a new striker in January, you're right they probably will. They've got a few games before then though, and hopefully McBurnie will get his chance in at least one of them.

My first thought on seeing a thread with someone's name was that we'd found a new kid to hype up. Seems I'm not wrong. Would love for it to happen, but I'd hate to see us going down the English route of treating every young player with a bit of promise like they're Pele, then turning on them when they don't reach the completely imaginary heights they're demanding.

My first thought on seeing a thread with someone's name was that we'd found a new kid to hype up. Seems I'm not wrong. Would love for it to happen, but I'd hate to see us going down the English route of treating every young player with a bit of promise like they're Pele, then turning on them when they don't reach the completely imaginary heights they're demanding.

I don't want to be 'hyping' anyone up. Is starting a thread doing that? He might be good enough he might not be, there's no way of knowing.

A Scottish player making his debut in the EPL isn't a regular occurrence though. It hasn't happened for a year and a half. Good chance it will happen at the weekend, so it's at least worth noting.

I think seeing him in the recent U21 game has tempered my expectations - which is probably a good thing. In that game he looked pedestrian and certainly not the type of striker to take on his man, jink into the box and lash one in. In any case there are probably only few players worldwide who can do that successfully even 33% of the time.

Realistically, if McBurnie proves to be reasonably good at link up play and a goal threat in the EPL over the next few months (two big ifs), he's a good bet to get a run out at least in a friendly. The only competition at that level is Fletcher and Naismith, neither of whom are untouchably good.

The loan was only supposed to be for a month anyway I'm sure. His hat trick although it sounds impressive was genuinely just two tap ins and a pass into the corner from the penalty spot. But lucky.

This. I seen the highlights earlier on Sky Sports News and they were indeed the above. But you have to be in they positions to score them.

At Swansea Adam King, Stephen Kingsley, Botti Biabi and Jay Fulton are either on loan or playing regularly for the U21s. Not really following Swansea's reserve team so dunno how well any of them are doing.

Apart from that lot Jakubiak and Byers have both already made their debuts for Watford, albeit in the Championship, Stephen Hendrie's at West Ham and, I think, played in some of their UEFA Cup games this season. Liverpool's third choice keeper is Scottish as well and, with the way the first two are playing, he's probably a lot closer to a start than he realises.

Alex Davey at Chelsea doesn't look like he'll be getting a game there but might be one to watch and Ruben Sammut in their U-21s is highly rated (and knocked back Malta and England to play for Scotland). I doubt Donald Love will be getting into the Man U team anytime soon but, if van Gaal continues his "throw a dartboard at a picture of the youth team" to decide who plays in defence each week, ye never know.

Chris Kettings wont be getting a game at Palace as he's 4th choice keeper and 23 but if he can get a few games at a decent level might go onto be a good keeper and Ryan Fraser's having a good time of it at Ipswich on loan from Bournemouth. Don't know if his loan ends soon or is a season long one.

Because of his loan? mibbes. when does it open -1st Jan?

ETA: found out - opens at midnight on 2nd Jan. In which case (if Craig's thoughts re transfer window are right) his earliest chance of being in a Swans squad is 10th Jan in the FA Cup.

Archived