Carlo Monti

Carlo1990

Football player signs for team. Money involved. I for one am shocked... Lol. It's disappointing missing out on a good player but that's part of the game. Not sure he drives so travelling to ayrshire for training and home games wouldn't be as appealing as being able to walk round the corner I imagine.

Anyway good luck Carlo, was hoping we could have done an interview the day with all ur bling rings and chains on but can do that another time...lol

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some missing the point. The boy played clubs to get as much as he could. Point is we are talking about junior football clubs. When other players get a whiff of what someone else is getting they want a piece of it. Not good for clubs or the game as a whole. Some of you wont be as supportive when the admission fees or the price of your pie gets doubled to pay for it. To use a well worn quote on here, he can't be that good or he'd be playing at a higher level. Time will tell if he's as good as he was before but what about all the others that will follow him wanting crazy money at this level and clubs pay it because that's what other clubs are paying and they need to compete, and the players don't give value.

Some missing the point. The boy played clubs to get as much as he could. Point is we are talking about junior football clubs. When other players get a whiff of what someone else is getting they want a piece of it. Not good for clubs or the game as a whole. Some of you wont be as supportive when the admission fees or the price of your pie gets doubled to pay for it. To use a well worn quote on here, he can't be that good or he'd be playing at a higher level. Time will tell if he's as good as he was before but what about all the others that will follow him wanting crazy money at this level and clubs pay it because that's what other clubs are paying and they need to compete, and the players don't give value.

There is absolutely no substance attached to the theory of a price of admission / price of a pie being doubled due to carlo signing for pollok.

Complete nonsense and people need to learn that these wages / transfer fees for players are funded through large sponsors / weekly fundraisers/ general fundraising nights throughout the year etc rather than fans paying for it.

Fans pay for very little of a junior clubs outgoings.

We need fans big time but this theory of fans paying for loads is unfounded.

There is absolutely no substance attached to the theory of a price of admission / price of a pie being doubled due to carlo signing for pollok.

Complete nonsense and people need to learn that these wages / transfer fees for players are funded through large sponsors / weekly fundraisers/ general fundraising nights throughout the year etc rather than fans paying for it.

What percentage of a club's outgoings would be used on wages do you think?

Don't be so naive! The post is about a general point and not just about Carlo Monti or Pollok. If clubs keep bowing to players demands it gets out of control and I'd imagine it has at many clubs. Just look at Irvine meadow and il bet there's a few more in similar state of affair. Don't tell me there's not several Pollok players rubbing there hands waiting on there next signing talks with club and quite right too. Fundraising sponsors etc have always been required to keep clubs alive. In the current economic climate these things get less and players demands go up or in this case up and up! Admission money and pie stalls will and always will supply most clubs main income but wether it's that or sponsors fundraisers or whatever clubs can't afford payments of the figures being mentioned here. The phrase making a rod for there own back comes to mind. And again it's not sour grapes from me as I'm sure to Shettleston he would have been paid whatever he wanted as our clubs owner is as ambitious as any. I just think it's wrong way to go I've seen it all to many times before. By all means raise money for your clubs but use it to improve facilities for players and supporters and not to line a few prima donnas pockets. And that's not directed at Carlo Monti he may well be a great player but like I've said before very few turn out to be worth the inflated fees.

Don't be so naive! The post is about a general point and not just about Carlo Monti or Pollok. If clubs keep bowing to players demands it gets out of control and I'd imagine it has at many clubs. Just look at Irvine meadow and il bet there's a few more in similar state of affair. Don't tell me there's not several Pollok players rubbing there hands waiting on there next signing talks with club and quite right too. Fundraising sponsors etc have always been required to keep clubs alive. In the current economic climate these things get less and players demands go up or in this case up and up! Admission money and pie stalls will and always will supply most clubs main income but wether it's that or sponsors fundraisers or whatever clubs can't afford payments of the figures being mentioned here. The phrase making a rod for there own back comes to mind. And again it's not sour grapes from me as I'm sure to Shettleston he would have been paid whatever he wanted as our clubs owner is as ambitious as any. I just think it's wrong way to go I've seen it all to many times before. By all means raise money for your clubs but use it to improve facilities for players and supporters and not to line a few prima donnas pockets. And that's not directed at Carlo Monti he may well be a great player but like I've said before very few turn out to be worth the inflated fees.

I'm not being niave ; shettleston have an amazing setup , who are shettlestons main sponsors to achieve this. ?

Excellent setup by the way and I loved my visit up there a few months ago . Second to none .

speak for your own club but by f**k does our fans pay for outgoings. Wasn't for our fans our club be in bits. f**k knows where you get the theory fans don't fund outgoings

speak for your own club but by f**k does our fans pay for outgoings. Wasn't for our fans our club be in bits. f**k knows where you get the theory fans don't fund outgoings

Well that's great GB however sadly our fans don't.

Every fundraising night only attracts about a dozen or so fans and the rest are made up of personal friends of the committee / sponsors and their employees etc.

But well played to Ladeside for fans turning up in their droves to every event. :)

Well that's great GB however sadly our fans don't.

Every fundraising night only attracts about a dozen or so fans and the rest are made up of personal friends of the committee / sponsors and their employees etc.

But well played to Ladeside for fans turning up in their droves to every event. :)

well the last 2 fundraisers have been 150ish attending. Trust me the cash our fans put in to fundraising well and truly makes our club tick

well the last 2 fundraisers have been 150ish attending. Trust me the cash our fans put in to fundraising well and truly makes our club tick

As said well played , but I'm talking about gate proceeds here firstly.

Gate proceeds don't primarily pay wages , when a manager is sat down pre- season with his ambitions clubs don't quote gate figures, clubs quote concrete sponsorship money and also attendances at huge events like sportsmans dinners etc to help fund him the best he can.

It's a fact that gate reciepts don't pay wages at most clubs .

We have great fundraising nights too in sportsmans dinners( 170 attended) quiz nights (80 attended ) race nights (120 attended ) however my point regarding ourselves is that it's seldom filled with fans who are the ones who demand on field success .

If fans contribute very little then you saying that clubs don't actually need fans....they could survive without them.

When we get to the stage when players actually think they can make a living ( and we are close with this one ) just from playing junior fitba then we are gonna need a hellava lot more sponsorship or the gemmes a bogey.

If fans contribute very little then you saying that clubs don't actually need fans....they could survive without them.

When we get to the stage when players actually think they can make a living ( and we are close with this one ) just from playing junior fitba then we are gonna need a hellava lot more sponsorship or the gemmes a bogey.

That's my entire thoughts clash in the nicest possible way.

Fans are always appreciated however outwith only a certain few fans it doesn't even nearly compute to helping a club survive and yes it's what you are alluding to in terms of " players almost making a living out the game " that tells me that it's all vastly about sponsorship and fundraising as opposed to ONLY fans paying through a turnstile to pay wages.

I'm not wanting to sound bad here but it's always rammed down our throat from fans after they give our management/players the full blast that " I pay your wages" .

No you don't and it's ridiculous to say this whilst thinking you've got a blank canvass to slate people doing their best as you wrongly think you're paying their wages.

Ladeside even wrote letters telling fans to back off mate after players were subjected to constant slatings.

The cost of financing a mid table Super Premier club must be somewhere around 70 / 80k per year. What percentage of that comes from gate receipts ?

If players set a demand and a club is prepared to meet that demand then the player should not be criticised imo.

Where I find the difficulties is when players apply the same rationale as full time senior players I.e. Relatively speaking if he gets x then the correlation when you get to me is Y...this Doesnot stack up. A 'marquee' signing such as Carlo will not increase the gate or result in a commensurate number of new strips being sold at Pollok, however the money needs to be found somewhere.....

so who spends money at these fundraisers then? Just saying!

There are some great points being made here. Hertha is right when he says that fans are misguided (at best) to think that they have a right to say whatever they please because they pay their 6 quid at the gate. I heard that many times over the years and it's wrong.

However, fans do pay in lots of ways other than just at the turnstile. Fundraisers are paid for by fans, raffle tickets are bought by fans. And in a lot of cases fans with businesses will sponsor the club.

I also find it hard to believe that gate takings aren't factored into a budget, whether it be signing fees of general costs.

But I haven't been involved in the running of a club so it's all assumption in my case.

so who spends money at these fundraisers then? Just saying!

Can only comment about my own club and regarding ourselves its only a small handful of the same fans all the time at best and the rest of the vast majority is made up from friends of committee / players /management and employees of sponsors mostly .

If Carlo had signed for anyone other than Pollok or Hurlford I would be pretty much certain this thread would have stopped a long time ago.

Don't recall a thread like this when Carlo signed for us last time - when we were a Super First side.

Ultimately Pollok, like every club, have multiple ways of bringing in funds. If the budget allows to improve the team we should aim to do that, and signing someone like Carlo, on paper, looks like that sort of signing.

If Carlo had signed for anyone other than Pollok or Hurlford I would be pretty much certain this thread would have stopped a long time ago.

Don't recall a thread like this when Carlo signed for us last time - when we were a Super First side.

Ultimately Pollok, like every club, have multiple ways of bringing in funds. If the budget allows to improve the team we should aim to do that, and signing someone like Carlo, on paper, looks like that sort of signing.

Exactly and well said as it's an excellent signing as he's top quality at junior level without a doubt.

My only issue was when the shettleston guy said that Pollok fans would soon need to pay double admission fee and double the pie fee to accomodate this signing.

There's simply no way that pollok fans will soon need to fork out £12 admission fee and £3 for a pie to accomodate signings like this .

Archived