Raith vs Hibernian - Scottish cup 4th round

Dudu Dahan pal

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to Stubbs. The substitutes gave Hibs attacking impetus and they managed to get through. Cracking second goal too from Malonga after a poor first half.

A bit disappointing considering we more than matched Hibs in the first half. Bates and Matthews didn't look out of their depth at all and should be looking to hold down their places in the team.

Onwards to losing Jon Daly (bemusing match presentation considering far more important players have left with just a note on the website). Hopefully wee Lewis is right about his time frame for recovery. Hopefully when we play Alloa at home we can consolidate our position and look for more attacking options in the meantime.

That was probably Daly's best game for us, he won a fair few knock ons. Sod's law that it was the day when we didn't have a second striker to feed off them.

Megginson again failing to make the most of his chances when given a start. He'll be back to impact sub status before too long.

Craigen looked good up until his final ball today. Too many wrong choices when it came to playing in a teammate.

Two great finishes for the goals, and we never looked like coming back once the second went in. The heads went down and there were too many tired passes.

Leaving aside our lack of strikers, we're also struggling without Thomson. Pretty much all of our width comes from the full backs, and as impressive as Bates is defensively, he doesn't have the skillset to hit the byline. Too many of our moves breakdown with Bates and Robertson (who's tidy on the ball but slows us down too much at times) both stationed out on the right wing with no idea how to proceed.

We need to bring in a striker who can perform week in, week out, at this level, and we need to hope and pray that Toshney and Thomson are back sooner rather than later.

It must be brilliant for Darren McGregor getting the chance to play for Hibs after starting at Pro football so late and after his injuries. I read an interview from him basically saying he's so greatful ect for getting to play for the team he supported his whole life.

What a feeling it must be coming on and scoring for the team you support.

Game died on its arse after the second, which was an absolute ripper. Malonga hadn't done much until the goal (other than dive, along with Craigen), then after it was floating round the park back heeling it. Hibs are better than us, and that's essentially the long and short of us, as painful as it is to say. They absolutely nullified us in the second half, we didn't get a sniff.

On a completely different note, I believe Ally Gourlay was supposed to lead the team out today, but he wasn't there. My thoughts and prayers are with him tonight, I hope he is recovering well from his operation. Had a lump in the throat listening to Ray's pre-match interview when he was asked about him. A supremely nice guy who has done an immense amount for Raith Rovers Football Club.

Hibs I thought really missed Cummings, despite them being very impressive. Keatings was pretty anonymous and, although he scored a very good goal, Malonga isn't ever going to worry a centre half in behind. When they've got Cummings up top along side one of those it's a real headache for defenders. I really, really hope they go on and win the league ahead of Rangers, it'd be superb.

Stubbs made the right subs at the right time and ultimately won them the game. Bartley for Henderson really swung the momentum and McGregor scored not long after. I can accept losing a game when they opposition plays the game the correct way and has several players who are good to watch, such as today. I wish them all the best.

Archived