January Transfer Window

Stolen from the League One forum, who stole it from League Two.

Changes at your club, contracts expiring, rumours from the fish lady in Morrisons. Post them all here.

Our squad is set to take quite a hit in January, which may turn out to be a good thing after recent results.

The lesser spotted Steven Ross along with Darren Barr and Steven Saunders are out of contract, whilst Scott Brown, Jamie Lindsay and Eamonn Brophy (2nd week in December IIRC) are due to head back to their parent clubs.

I'd like to see us sign a defender who can defend, a midfielder who can attack and a striker who can point to the goals on a pitch.

A goalkeeper to at least offer some kind of challenge to Mark Brown would be nice as well.

How's everyone else looking?

Alloa Athletic 

In: Scott McKenna (Aberdeen, loan), Scott Gallagher (Hearts), Mitch Megginson (Raith), Ryan Finnie (Annan Athletic)

Out: Andy McNeil (Morton), Scott McKenna (Aberdeen, loan expired), Catalin Paun (released), Michael Doyle (St Johnstone)

Dumbarton

In: Tom Walsh (Rangers, loan), Kler Heh (Sheffield United, loan), Christian Nade (Hamilton), Paul Heffernan (Queen of the South)

Out: Scott Brown (loan expired, St Johnstone), Willie Gibson (Stranraer), Steven Ross (Elgin City), Gordon Smith (ECU Joondalup), Ryan Clark (Arthurlie, loan), Steven Craig (Forfar Athletic)

Falkirk

In: Conor McGrandles (Norwich City, loan), Nathan Austin (East Fife), Kevin McCann (Warriors FC), Deniz Mehmet (Kayserispor), Myles Hippolyte (Livingston)

Out: Ryan Sinnamon (loan expired, returned to Rangers), Graham Bowman (Stenhousemuir, loan), Scott Shepherd (Brechin City, loan), Nathan Austin (East Fife, loan), Ryan Blair (Swansea City), Kieran Duffy (released), Alex Cooper (St Mirren), Alex Tokarczyk (Montrose, loan), Thomas Grant (Fleetwood Town)

Hibernian

In: Chris Dagnall (Kerala Blasters), Niklas Gunnarsson (Valerenga, loan), Anthony Stokes (Celtic, loan), Kevin Thompson (Dundee), Otso Virtanen (IFK Mariehamn)

Out: Callum Crane (Berwick Rangers, loan), Sam Stanton (Livingston, loan)

Livingston

In: Mark Fotheringham (free agent), Sam Stanton (Hibernian, loan), Mark McCallum (Dundee United), Craig Halkett (Rangers), Charlie Telfer (Dundee United, loan), Osman Kakay (Queens Park Rangers, loan), Joshua Mullin (Albion Rovers)

Out: Hugo Faria (Airdrieonians), Myles Hippolyte (Falkirk), Moses Duckrell (released), Kieran Gibbons (Cowdenbeath, loan), Spas Georgiev (Albion Rovers, loan), Matt Gould (Stourbridge, loan), Declan Gallagher (HMP)

Greenock Morton

In: Declan McManus (Fleetwood Town, loan), Andy McNeil (Alloa)

Out: Thomas Orr (East Stirlingshire, loan), Grant Adam (Cowdenbeath)

Queen of the South

In: Andrew Murdoch (Rangers, loan)

Out: Liam Coogans (loan expired, returned to Huddersfield Town), Shaun Rutherford (Arbroath, loan), Paul Heffernan (Dumbarton)

Raith Rovers

In: Louis Longridge (Hamilton, loan), Aidan Connolly (Dundee United), Harry Panayiotou (Leicester City, loan)

Out: Craig Wighton (loan expired, returned to Dundee), Jon Daly (Hearts), Mitch Megginson (Alloa)

Rangers

In: Harry Forrester (Doncaster Rovers), Maciej Gostomsk (Lech Poznan), Josh Windass and Matt Crooks (Accrington Stanley, not joining until July), Billy King (Hearts, loan), Michael O'Halloran (St Johnstone)  

Out: Liam Kelly (East Fife, loan), Tom Walsh (Dumbarton, loan), Andrew Murdoch (Queen of the South, loan)

St Mirren

In: Rocco Quinn (Ross County), David Clarkson (Motherwell, loan), Alex Cooper (Falkirk), Gary Irvine (Dundee)

Out: Craig Reid (loan expired, returned to Motherwell), Luke Conlan (loan expired, returned to Burnley), Mark Ridgers (Orlando City B)

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy enough with our squad as it and providing we don't lose any first team players , i would be tempted to let a couple go. Would cancel Aniers loan and i reckon Feruz will be sent back aswell, cant see them gettin any game time. If i was Stubbs i would be trying to get Stanton and Handling out on loan aswell to get game time as they seem to struggling to even get in the matchday squad.

As far as I am aware Kyle Hutton, Liam Coogans and Paul Heffernan are the only first team players whose contracts expire in January. Hopefully Hutton has already agreed to extend his stay, he's been our best midfielder since establishing himself as a starter. Personally I'd offer him an 18 month deal. Heffernan should retire, he's done. I can't offer a comment on Coogans, I don't think he's been given a minutes game time and seems like an utterly pointless waste of a wage.

Hard to say about players coming in. We're well covered in goals and I'm happy with our options at centre half, but aside from that it wouldn't take an awful lot to improve every other position. Equally though, I can't think of an area that particular stands out as needing attention, we're distinctly average across the board rather than noticeably weak in one specific position.

I think it will be a rather quiet window for us.

Well take daly, surely gotta be better than Stevie Craig.

Unless we move to Canada I don't think Daly will be interested.

I'd like to see us keep Barr, Lindsay and Brophy of the people who are out of contract/due to go back to their clubs. Saunders really hasn't impressed me, positionally terrible and wasteful on the ball. Brown is okay, I'm not quite sure of his purpose and although he's not the worst player, we have a silly amount of central midfielders who are all fairly good at the same job. I'd prefer to see any funds we have used trying to get a creative player in, but doing that in January is extremely hard and I won't be holding my breath.

At least 1 striker is required. Maybe 2 if Wighton goes back to Dundee.

In defence, we are in crisis at the moment, but this may or may not clear up by January. That won't solve the issue at RB, however.

Still, never mind. We have about 9 centre midfielders.

I'm sure Stubbs mentioned in an interview he'd like another striker and right back. Think that would mean Anier and Freuz going back to their clubs. Both have struggled for game time because our strikers have been in such good form.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with the squad, been a while since I could say that. If a good winger became available we could probably do with having that option but it's not a must.

Michael Doyle is out of contract and Crawford+Duffy's loan expires in Jan. Would image a deal to be offered to Doyle and an attempt to extend their loans. Isaac Layne could be like a new signing returning from his loan but still think we need another striker... No idea who.

Would defo cancel Aniers loan but for some reason i would actually keep Feruz. Fair enough he's not done much so far though you can't really judge as a player with the little time he's had on the park. Given the fact we are prob payin a very small part if any towards his wage i'd keep him till the end of the season.

I'd love to see us manage to re-sign Saunders, but I don't see it happening.

Barr, I'd imagine will be offered terms until the end of the season, given he appears to be an Aitken favourite.

Another goalkeeper to provide competition to Brown would be good, and I'd like to see us try and keep Scott Brown. I can't imagine St. Johnstone would be difficult to deal with, unless they've got plans for him this season, which I don't see.

Steven Ross has been almost non-existent and whatever the reason for that is, it's surely a sign that his talents are better suited elsewhere.

So, if there's a creative midfielder, a top goalkeeper and a striker who can score 15-20 goals between Christmas and April who all want to sign for us, I'll be delighted.

Archived