Dunfermline vs Ross County/Ross County vs Dunfermline (replay)

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McIntyre was lucky to get punted when he did - dodged a bullet. Sounded like Yorkston took the decision to fire him before considering how we could afford to pay him off. Be good to see him back as I think he was a cracking manager for us.

We should take hope from the home performance against Dundee in the League Cup (just don't mention the St Mirren game).

Recent form suggests that we have little chance of winning this match. If we are unable to beat Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath or Peterhead, I fail to see how we can beat Ross County.

Hopefully our form picks up though and we can give them a good game.

Recent form suggests that we have little chance of winning this match. If we are unable to beat Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath or Peterhead, I fail to see how we can beat Ross County.

Three days before beating Dundee we got beat 2-1 by Peterhead, that would suggest that form matters for naught.

Three days before beating Dundee we got beat 2-1 by Peterhead, that would suggest that form matters for naught.

No it doesn't, as we had good form going in to that game. That Peterhead game was just a 'blip' amid a run of good results and performances.

I'm relatively content with the draw, although I would've preferred someone lower-ranking than Dunfermline. A tie against a lower league team isn't to be sniffed at, however.

One of those games where if we don't win, we don't deserve to go further in the competition anyway. If that makes sense.

Also happy we've got a 30 minute train journey from Edinburgh rather than anything more complicated. Nice and easy journey considering it'll be early January!

Last time macca managed in a game involving the two sides sir martin hardie scored a last minute winnner which started the 6 game winning run that won us the league.

The last one at eep was an utterly dire 0-0, which had many writing off our title hopes, we didn't lose a game after that.

Welcome back macca.

Probably lose by 2 but its a decent enough draw albeit not a money spinner.

No it doesn't, as we had good form going in to that game. That Peterhead game was just a 'blip' amid a run of good results and performances.

Draws to Cowdenbeath, Peterhead and Rovers aren't the worse results in the world, either way by the time the game actually comes around those games will be utterly irrelevant with them being two months previous.

For us to win this we'll need similar to what happened in the Dundee game, some good fortune, fantastic discipline and defending, in general a great all round performance but the most crucial thing of all is that we need Ross County to perform well below the standards they are capable off.

How was Cardle thought of at County?

Quick feet, not enough top speed to beat an opponent on the outside. At his best he would glide when he carried the ball.

We tended to only see his best when he came on as a sub, when he would do that for a couple of matches before earning a run of starts, which were by and large mediocre. That's a gross generalisation but is accurate enough IMO.

Considering 95% of his play was cutting inside on to his right foot, we saw very little of him shooting. And when we did, it was off target. No goals during his one season at Ross County.

His best game, IMO, was a draw away to ICT when he was used as a right winger with licence to roam infield occasionally. That was the only time he was ever used on the right. The fact that he could attack both sides of the full-back gave the team a whole new dimension that hadn't been there for donkeys.

His worst game, IMO, was the loss at home to St Mirren in January. St Mirren played the majority of the match with ten men, but instead of using the width of the pitch to stretch the opposition Cardle kept cutting in to traffic to lose the ball. One time too many did for his County career, when he was usurped by Raffa De Vita (another right footer cutting in, who has since been usurped by Tony Dingwall, who is another right footer...).

Draws to Cowdenbeath, Peterhead and Rovers aren't the worse results in the world, either way by the time the game actually comes around those games will be utterly irrelevant with them being two months previous.

For us to win this we'll need similar to what happened in the Dundee game, some good fortune, fantastic discipline and defending, in general a great all round performance but the most crucial thing of all is that we need Ross County to perform well below the standards they are capable off.

Not the worst results, but poor, and if we can't beat them, how can we except to beat a Premiership side? I said our recent form suggests we have little chance of winning the match. We could continue this form and get beat, or perhaps we will improve our form and give them a game.

To make it clear (and I'm not sure how it can be any clearer), our recent form suggests that we won't win. However, we could improve (or this form could continue).

No real excitement about this tie, although it should give us a good test. With us being full time as well as County, we should be able to match them fitness wise (unless, like the Dundee United game, we're stretched with injuries). Provided we have a relatively full squad available, I'd like to see us put in a good shift here and make them work for everything, even if it means sitting deeper. After all, promotion (should be achieve it) would mean we'd be second favourites in just about every game in the Championship.

Archived