Hibs fans - Duncan Watmore

A few of you might recall I bigged him up when he went up to Hibs on loan a few seasons back. He did not seem to pull up any trees there but has come good in the last few months back at my club Sunderland and is starting to establish himself now in our first team squad and also had a rediculously impressive appearance for England under 21's a few weeks back when he came on after 80 mins with the team 1-0 down, won a penalty and then scored a second and created a third and won man of the match despite only being on the pitch 10 mins.

I am interested to hear how he got on up at Easter Road as it seems like a bit of a barren spell for him. Was there any positive signs or was he out of his depth back then? I genuinely thought he would do well up there but he didn't seem to so what happened?

I still have very high hopes for this lad. He's a bit of a throwback but he has genuine pace and always looks to be positive and has had some great litte cameo performances for Sunderland this season and has scored 2 league goals. I was delighted he scored yesterday and he is a breath of fresh air for us at the moment. Great to watch.

You could tell there was a talented player there but the club was in complete turmoil and he didn't really fit into Butcher's brutal diagonal long ball football. That was roughly the same time as Kevin Thomson was dropped because he slowed the play down (i.e. pass it on the deck) too much. Kevin Thomson being seen as some fancy, luxury player. Actually think of that. Watmore had no chance.

Impressed and a bit surprised by how he looks now. Looked a skillful wiry wee winger type at us. Looks a different guy physically.

He looked like a wee school laddie and was kicked up and doon the park by Rovers players that day that he was out for weeks and never really got a chance after that. There were defo signs in that game but his confidence may have dipped and as others have said the style of play at the time certainly didn't suit him. There's a thread about him on the hibs.net forum. Seems to be mixed views.

Archived